PDA

View Full Version : do i use my snatch strap for towing

my third 256
16th December 2012, 06:32 PM
have done a search but couldnt find anything related or do i go and buy a tow rope
i also have a 8mt lifting strap can i use this for towing
please help

DX grunt
16th December 2012, 06:35 PM
Personally, I would buy a tow rope. I don't cut trees up with a hammer, I use a chainsaw. Same principle.

Don't forget the 'what if' theory if you use your snatch strap to tow.

Rossco

growler2058
16th December 2012, 06:37 PM
Dont do it youll eff ya snatchy up

my third 256
16th December 2012, 06:42 PM
Dont do it youll eff ya snatchy up
so use the lifting sling then

growler2058
16th December 2012, 06:48 PM
I use rope or a drag chain

Maxhead
16th December 2012, 06:48 PM
as above , don't use your snatchy to tow!!!!!!!! NO NO it will be stuffed if you do.
In an extreme cirmstance it will do the Job but not advisable

nissannewby
16th December 2012, 06:57 PM
Any lifting place like bullivants etc should be able to supply you with a tow sling.

lorrieandjas
17th December 2012, 08:22 AM
Hey mate - personally no! Chain or tow rope would be best as mentioned above. Buy one and add it to your recovery gear pack. I figure if you're really stuck and carrying a snatchie then you could use it but if you have your recovery gear then a rope/chain won't take up much more space.

Jas

scotty83
17th December 2012, 08:24 AM
You don't really want the springing effect when towing. You want it more smooth than that. Particularly if the car being towed has no power for brakes etc.

threedogs
17th December 2012, 10:47 AM
No DONT TOW if it stretches it has recoil, DO NOT USE.
As Newby suggests go to your local Sling and shackle guy.
He should have one there already if not make one to suit your needs for a few $$$$
NEVER COMPROMISE< Even rope has a rating, was DIAM x DIAM but they found that to low
with the newer style ropes out there, Good you asked first. Maybe a member can help you out
or go to local 4x4 shop and buy a bucket of drag chain 10mm if possible.

the evil twin
17th December 2012, 11:05 AM
As above... not a very good idea at all.

Also you will find that every state and territory has a maximum length on the tow rope when flat towing.

I believe it is standard Australia wide but might pay to check in your state.
Towing a Car, max distance between vehicles is 4 Metres
Towing a Bike, max distance is 2.5 metres

So if you use that 8 metre sling, double it over

the evil twin
17th December 2012, 11:45 AM
... oops.. should have added

If the distance is more than 2 metres between vehicles IE 2 to 4 metres then a warning flag must be fitted to the tow strap.

If the brakes are inoperative on the towed vehicle you cannot legally tow it if it weighs more than 750Kg (max weight of an unbraked tow). Would be rare that at least the handbrake wasn't ratpoo tho.