PDA

View Full Version : Troopie gear box failures.

Coldcomfort
15th December 2012, 05:51 PM
Where I work there are 6 Troopies (new V8 model) that are about 2 years old. Four of the 6 have had catastrophic gear box failures. They are not worked hard, just general patrol duties. I wonder if this is a issue for troopies??

DX grunt
15th December 2012, 05:53 PM
Are they maintained regularly, or only checked at the services?

Coldcomfort
15th December 2012, 05:54 PM
I dont know about their maintenance. They are government owned, so I would guess that they get scheduled maintenance.

threedogs
15th December 2012, 05:56 PM
Brings a tear to my eye , never heard of it being an issue,. boy, how happy am I now I switched to Nissan and not upgraded my {YES} Troopy
Poor maintenance, or fluids not replaced correctely IMO

nissannewby
15th December 2012, 06:56 PM
There are many an issue with those new V8's not just in the troopys. We have a few on our site and they have plenty of issues.

Tank
15th December 2012, 07:38 PM
One of the stations near me has 4 of them. Two off them spend most of their life in and out of high country rivers due to the part of the station they are on and they need new wheel bearings every 3-6months. They have had no end of problems with them all from diffs to gear boxs.
They used to have the old 4.2td ones and had no issues with them at all

Bloodyaussie
15th December 2012, 07:43 PM
I remember when those were the model you could count on... we used them up in NSW conservation and land and they kept on going but that was 17 years ago now.....

Reason I got out of driving Toyota's was the CV's going all the time and not comfortable for my poor old back!!

taslucas
15th December 2012, 08:25 PM
My brother worked at a toyo dealership for about 10 years and reckons that the gearbox/clutch is the weakest link in all the models of cruisers. The majority of warranty work done was for gearbox failures.

Tap, crackle, pop

PMC
15th December 2012, 08:44 PM
I have a friend who works at an underground goldmine site in Orange NSW. He has advised me on several occasions that they have suffered serious problems with the new V8 diesel Landcruiser's. Especially the engines letting go. A couple of the repair bills have been for totally engine re-builds and the costs have been over $20,000.00. One vehicle only had 115,000ks on the clock.

Regards,

RLI

nissannewby
15th December 2012, 10:10 PM
Also toyota will quote you 12 hours to do a starter motor on one of these fandangled V8's due to its location. We have had fuel system issues, diff breakages, cv's, gearboxes, clutches and most of these vehicles are under 50k km

MC97GQ
16th December 2012, 08:35 AM
One of the big problems with the new V8 Landies is oil consumption, my old boss has one and with less than 40K on the clock uses on average 3- 5 litres between programmed oil changes.

And I have heard stories of other blokes in the region having similar consumption issues.

dads tractor
16th December 2012, 11:30 AM
Is half the problem because its a v8 people drive them like a ford or holden ute (ie flat chat every gear} and because its 4x4 flat bikkie over everything rocks gutters dirt tracks curbs etc. anything on a mine site is abused to the max operater experience could be a factor in half the faults

threedogs
16th December 2012, 02:06 PM
Oil issues were due to the thin nature of the OE oil, using a heavier grade will fix this.
According to MR tojo oil is not a problem, same as MR nissan says there's not a problem with
the Z30 motor, Been going on for years, like the 100s front ends breaking etc Hilux injection issues.
NEVER HAPPENED

macca86
16th December 2012, 06:44 PM
The poor old zd30 cops it hard. But there's so Manny out there the problem can't be that bad we just here about here all the time as a forum is used to get info. At least the problems fixed these tojos have many problems. Don't forget bt50 and rangers blow heads worse than an rd28 at 100 000km

nissannewby
16th December 2012, 07:02 PM
I work on a mine site and have seen both the old 6 banger cruisers and the new v8's. The old girls are so much more rugged and better built they just keep going even with the theory stated by dads tractor. They cant get to hammered as just about every mine sites max speed limit is 60kph and all the vehicles have tracking and swipes so they know who is driving the vehicle and how they are driving it right down to what gear they are in.

There werent just oil usage issues with the early ones they would spin bearings etc causing a failure.