PDA

View Full Version : Summary of each state's 4WD modification laws

Winnie
14th December 2012, 04:26 PM
Hey guys, found this through bookface so don't take it for gospel but it all looks pretty good, see this question get asked HEAPS so having it all in one diagram is great!

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/pb2017/Winnie/77014_402940099780449_1578539042_n_zps82fda7e4.jpg

Bloodyaussie
14th December 2012, 04:29 PM
Your pretty good you are!!!

Winnie
14th December 2012, 04:30 PM
Oh trust me I know I get told all the time

MEGOMONSTER
14th December 2012, 04:39 PM
Nice find, easy to understand. So, being a VicMexican, I can legally lift my vehicle 75mm total, 50mm susp lift and 25mm tyres(33's) without certification.
And (correct me if I'm wrong) have a certified total lift of 125mm only.
So no 4" lift with 35"s even with certified

Alitis007
14th December 2012, 05:45 PM
Nice find, easy to understand. So, being a VicMexican, I can legally lift my vehicle 75mm total, 50mm susp lift and 25mm tyres(33's) without certification.
And (correct me if I'm wrong) have a certified total lift of 125mm only.
So no 4" lift with 35"s even with certified

And 50mm body lift legally, according to that document!!

Alitis007
14th December 2012, 05:46 PM
Oh and great find by the way

threedogs
14th December 2012, 05:50 PM
A ledgend in your own under pants as well, good one winnie

growler2058
14th December 2012, 06:33 PM
So whats note 5 for SA and WTF is 7.5 mm tyre lift my tread depths shiploads deeper than that!!!

wildgu6
14th December 2012, 06:44 PM
Yeah ha go SA, come over here guys to mod your ride hahaha Bah Humbug.
SA is getting more appealing every day.
And they call it the festival state, well go blow a trumpet

TAP TAP TAP MERRY XMAS TO ALL AND A SAFE NEW YEAR TO COME

NissanGQ4.2
14th December 2012, 07:03 PM
Good find mate, but I wouldn't even go by that chart.

If you want to know what is legal for your 4B go into your local authority 4 your state and get it in writing. Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing and if you don't have it in writing your still likely to be in the wrong regardless of what you read where or who told you what. Even the idiots passing the rules don't know what there doing, don't expect anyone else to know.

For ages now the was supposedly going to be a NCOP ( National Code Of Practice ) but that hasn't happened, just look at all those differences between states, so you could be legal in your state drive across the border and your car is now illegal and they will fine you for it.

What a joke, pollies at there best

janderson
19th December 2012, 08:16 PM
Good find mate, but I wouldn't even go by that chart.

If you want to know what is legal for your 4B go into your local authority 4 your state and get it in writing. Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing and if you don't have it in writing your still likely to be in the wrong regardless of what you read where or who told you what. Even the idiots passing the rules don't know what there doing, don't expect anyone else to know.

For ages now the was supposedly going to be a NCOP ( National Code Of Practice ) but that hasn't happened, just look at all those differences between states, so you could be legal in your state drive across the border and your car is now illegal and they will fine you for it.

What a joke, pollies at there best

Vicroads won’t commit in writing, been refused every time I’ve asked.

janderson
19th December 2012, 08:16 PM
Note 3. VSI-50 allows an additional 25mm suspension if the registered operator is a member of a “affiliated 4WD Club” (fee paying), raising max vehicle lift from 125mm to 150mm.
So an 18 year old that joins a 4x4 club is conserved to be more experience and can have a 4x4 25mm higher than me. The fact that I have been driving 4x4’s for 38 years, and owning 4x4’s as a daily drive for 30 plus years doesn’t mater. Our powers to be consider a club member is more experienced than I am.

mudnut
20th December 2012, 02:40 PM
Why don't 4x4 manufacturers just make the flaming things with bush ready suspension?

Maxhead
20th December 2012, 05:23 PM
Great bit of info mate, where did you dig that up.....ACT looks good for lifts lol

Winnie
20th December 2012, 05:52 PM
Just found it on a fourby bookface page.

NissanGQ4.2
20th December 2012, 06:09 PM
Vicroads won’t commit in writing, been refused every time I’ve asked.

So would you believe vic roads that won't commit in writting or the NCOP forum?????????????

Until its on Vic roads website, I would only take the new law changes as gospel

NissanGQ4.2
20th December 2012, 06:10 PM
Note 3. VSI-50 allows an additional 25mm suspension if the registered operator is a member of a “affiliated 4WD Club” (fee paying), raising max vehicle lift from 125mm to 150mm.
So an 18 year old that joins a 4x4 club is conserved to be more experience and can have a 4x4 25mm higher than me. The fact that I have been driving 4x4’s for 38 years, and owning 4x4’s as a daily drive for 30 plus years doesn’t mater. Our powers to be consider a club member is more experienced than I am.

As far as I'm aware there still isn't a VSI-50???? Can you enlighten me where your getting your info from

NissanGQ4.2
20th December 2012, 06:11 PM
Just found it on a fourby bookface page.

Which one Kris?

Winnie
20th December 2012, 06:41 PM
Can't remember now, might've been Aussie4wd?
Janderson got that info from the pic in the OP

janderson
20th December 2012, 08:14 PM
As far as I'm aware there still isn't a VSI-50???? Can you enlighten me where your getting your info from

note 3 in the thread from winnie.

TuffTD42
20th December 2012, 08:27 PM
I could live with 100mm lift but not 50mm suspension & 50mm blocks. Why not 100mm suspension. I run 6" suspension & 35's, already engineered so that's no prob. Looking for a GU or even another GQ but want to go 4" lift & 37's. My engineer said he'll do the 4" lift but have to run 35's not 37's fair enough. So hoping to get one before NSW adopt the NCOP.

janderson
20th December 2012, 08:32 PM
I could live with 100mm lift but not 50mm suspension & 50mm blocks. Why not 100mm suspension. I run 6" suspension & 35's, already engineered so that's no prob. Looking for a GU or even another GQ but want to go 4" lift & 37's. My engineer said he'll do the 4" lift but have to run 35's not 37's fair enough. So hoping to get one before NSW adopt the NCOP.

Was told by RACV here in Vic that if your mob is done before any rule changers, then bad luck. You will be required to conform to the new reg’s.

NissanGQ4.2
20th December 2012, 08:41 PM
Was told by RACV here in Vic that if your mob is done before any rule changers, then bad luck. You will be required to conform to the new reg’s.

I assume mob is meant to be mod and if I read correctly Your RACV says that if your mod is done BEFORE any rule changes you will still have to conform to the new rules when they come into effect.

Did I read that correctly????

janderson
20th December 2012, 08:43 PM
I assume mob is meant to be mod and if I read correctly Your RACV says that if your mod is done BEFORE any rule changes you will still have to conform to the new rules when they come into effect.

Did I read that correctly????

thats what they told me.

NissanGQ4.2
20th December 2012, 09:07 PM
thats what they told me.

Funny that, I was speaking to my old neighbour about 6-7 months ago who works for the RTA here in NSW and he was telling me that anything that is has already been Engineered for there mods would be exempt from the new laws.

janderson
21st December 2012, 03:31 PM
I'm not talking about Engineered mod

NissanGQ4.2
21st December 2012, 04:12 PM
I'm not talking about Engineered mod

Sorry mate, I really don't understand the point your trying to make.

Was told by RACV here in Vic that if your mod is done before any rule changers, then bad luck. You will be required to conform to the new reg’s

Any mods done before the rule changes that haven't been engineered are illegal mods and not road worthy anyway and yes they would have to conform to the new reg's if they bothered to do it legally, which I
doubt they would anyway because they didn't do it in the first place.......

janderson
21st December 2012, 04:44 PM
What I’m saying is that a mod that’s done and legal at the time and doesn’t need to be engineered. Then when they change the law that then makes the mod illegal, you will have no comeback by saying, but it was legal when done. And don’t forget an Engineer Certificate is not transferable and I don’t think it is recognised when interstate.

Timmo
22nd December 2012, 12:31 AM
hmmmm nice find but I think im blind what is note 4

BigRAWesty
22nd December 2012, 05:57 AM
F-in SA... F-in granny state...
7.5mm tyre lift.. WTF

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)