PDA

View Full Version : Red, her twuck and Travelhome

Redz
13th December 2012, 06:01 PM
[I]Hello, my name is Red (for obvious reasons.) I am a young 65 single Gypsy who has travelled pretty well the Northern Territory and the Kimberley (I adore this wonderful country).
I do not have a patrol as I bought a 5 Wheeler so opted for 550 6 cyl turbo Navara (my rocket). I had a patrol years ago with a revolting red flash along the sides.
I want to go to the very top of Cape Yorke, leave my van at Cooktown, as I don't think it would get to Weipa as I don't know the state of the roads. I have travelled quite few off road miles but am going to sign up for some serious river crossing lessons as they are frightening to me........must be all those big lizards which are lurking beneath the surface. lol.
I have been told to get Coopers tyres for this but don't think I can afford these so will probably opt for Bridgestone off road. Can anyone tell me which is better as it will be a one off at this stage as I have to wait for pension to come in f/n. All answers will be really appreciated,
Red;)

DX grunt
13th December 2012, 06:13 PM
G'day Red

Welcome to the forum and glad you could join us.

Not sure about your tyres. For my next set, I'm looking at Maxxis AT's.

Take care out there.

Rossco

threedogs
13th December 2012, 06:22 PM
Hi and welcome, Do a driver /training thingo to get up some confidenece.
Any L/T constructed tyre will do the cape ,Have a look at the Mickey Thomson 4 bar Tread
The road to Weipa is dirt hwy road trains use its just from Thier to Bamaga things get tricky

wildgu6
13th December 2012, 06:59 PM
G'day Red andWelcome aboard buddy.
Great bunch here with tons of advice, info, adventures and plenty of laughs to absorb.
Join in and soak it all up. You will meet some top people

Sounds like a great life you have there mate, lucky man. As for tyres, my first purchase was Bridgestone Duelers, they were ok, next set BFG AT KOs and they beat the hell out of the Duelers.
Many to choose from these days. There is a tyre section on site if you care to have a browse. Good luck mate.

Enjoy, cheers Pete

Tappn the App Beers on Tap

growler2058
13th December 2012, 07:48 PM
Gday Red welcome aboard mate gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Ive found coopers to be hit n miss in the way they wear. Have not heard much good about duelers. I would look at mickey thompson 4 rib ATZ plent of guys here swear by them, bfg AT
As threedogs said look at tyres with a quality side wall in a LT

MEGOMONSTER
13th December 2012, 07:56 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

pearcey
13th December 2012, 08:24 PM
G`day Red
Have done the cape run, up the telegraph track. A great trip but take your time and enjoy it.
As for the van leave it at Mt Carbine caravan pk. If you camp there for 3 nights or it could be only 2 can`t remember you can leave your van there for free. It`s a secure park we left 6 vans there for 4 weeks with no problems.The camping rates were very good and when we got back we got the third night for free. The amenities block was spotless and the park shady but you can find a sunny spot if you need it for solar
There is a great Pub with in walking distance with great CHEAP meals.Also the place is full of history so if you have time look around I recommend it. I do recommend if you do the telegraph track that you try and travel with some one or at lest hook up with others at any water crossings.There is always someone on the track so this is not a problem. Don`t be intimidated just use commonsense and take your time.

healy
13th December 2012, 10:39 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

AB
14th December 2012, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Bloodyaussie
14th December 2012, 06:49 AM
Welcome aboard mate............

Cuppa
14th December 2012, 07:01 AM
Hi Red, I reckon I might be the first to recognise that you're not a bloke? You are out there doing what I want to be out there doing again. I'm envious.

Cuppa

my third 256
14th December 2012, 07:39 AM
hi and welcom to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

Dhuck
14th December 2012, 08:24 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Maxhead
15th December 2012, 07:19 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

Bigrig
16th December 2012, 07:50 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

Redz
18th December 2012, 07:21 AM
Hi,
Thanks for that but I am actually a very young redhead lady who is doing all this travelling by myself so all encouragement is greatly appreciated!

Redz
18th December 2012, 07:24 AM
Got it in one Cuppa!
18 months of travelling by myself and loving it. Am gettting snorkel fitted and doing 4x4 Awareness training ( I have done quite a bit of off road but not river crossings and hairy things like Callahan!!!!!)

Redz
18th December 2012, 07:34 AM
Hi Pearcy,
Thanks for that info, I really appreciate it as I am single lady travelling alone so safety a high priority and would love to do tagalong as I haven't done any real river crossings. I thought after watching Callahan I would do as many alternative tracks as poss or is there another way up instead of using the Old Telegraph Road?

pearcey
18th December 2012, 08:14 AM
Hi Redz
You can go up the Development road which is a graded and maintained road and many people tow vans up it.
Be aware that the fee to cross the Jardine river is expensive but it works like a park pass.
At Seisia we stayed at Loyalty beach campground which at the time was the cheapest but still provided top service and very clean amenities.
The people up there are very friendly and helpful. My thing is allow plenty of time as there are so many attractions to see, and most you would do in a two wheel drive. You can PM me with any or as many questions as you like and I`ll only be to happy to answer them. You have a great time and stay safe
Pearcey

cruizerbitz
18th December 2012, 03:41 PM
gday mate, Welcome

rkinsey
18th December 2012, 04:05 PM
Gday Red. I have just shod my Patrol with Maxxis Bighorns @ $200.00 each. They are noisier on the tarmac than regular ATs but from those that I spoke to, these tyres wear resonably well on and off road. they are a very capable offroad tyre for all surfaces from sand, rock and mud. I havnt personally tried them out off road yet but that will change next week when I get to go play at Stockton beach (Woo Hoo!!)

I have driven in the rain and found that they handle the wet very well. I didnt get any loss of traction at all and they felt very secure cornering in the wet. Cant wait to get them dirty!

I made the descision to get these tyres with performance, durability and price all in mind. I'll do a write up about them in 12 months to see how they go.

Cheers,

Rob

lorrieandjas
19th December 2012, 02:33 AM
Hey there and welcome to the forum. A bunch of us are doing the Cape next August - check out the RLIs Travelling Wilburys thread.

Jas