PDA

View Full Version : no horn, HELP

grubkenbel
13th December 2012, 12:06 PM
After replacing the steering wheel in our gu 2007 wagon i have no horn.
I disabled the airbags and removed the steering wheel and have replaced it with a SAAS wheel and boss kit.
The factory wheel had just a little plug with the air bag wires and the horn wire however on the saas you cant plug it in so i have tried tracing the horn wire back however its a shambles.
just wondering do i have to run a new horn wire to the inside of the car and stick it on a switch.
and if yes do i have to run a relay etc as i have never had to do a horn before so not too sure.
Any help will be appreciated.
Bel

BearGUST
13th December 2012, 12:15 PM
So you've done away with your airbag?
A car with an airbag has a clockspring:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clockspring
The horn wiring would run through that, it should just be an earth which the boss kit would still be capable of providing.

grubkenbel
13th December 2012, 01:33 PM
the boss kit has a red and black wire however linking the existing up is not working so is it just easier to run a whole new horn wiring

MudRunnerTD
13th December 2012, 01:40 PM
the Horn is to the front right side so you could certainly trace back from there and splice your new wire into that anywhere.

Why did you take out the airbag?

Robo
13th December 2012, 01:48 PM
Check the horn fuse, may of just blown removing the air bag wheel.

x3 and why

grubkenbel
13th December 2012, 02:18 PM
i took out the factory steering wheel and put a SAAS one on with a new boss kit therefore you cannot have a airbag anywhere in it
and the airbags in the car were faulty anyway.
And once i got rid of the airbags i discovered that the shonky car dealer had put the wrong dash in the car anyway because if the passenger air bag had been working correctly it would never have been able to inflate due to the dash being the wrong one as it would have just stayed inside the dash.

grubkenbel
13th December 2012, 02:28 PM
plus the horn and airbag wiring were on one little clip there was 1 purple wire which i presume is the horn and 2 yellow wires which looked the same as the airbag wiring so hence presumably they are for the old airbags.
I have tried the purple wire and both the yellow wires to no avail so now am wondering if i should just run a new horn wiring and relay

BearGUST
13th December 2012, 04:03 PM
Have you touched the purple wire on to a known good earth?

Yendor
13th December 2012, 05:50 PM
Did the horn work when the original steering wheel was fitted?

I'm not sure what this purple wire is. The original horn wire that plugs into the clock spring should be a Light Green wire with a Black trace. If you earth this wire the horn should sound.

If the boss kit has 2 wires you will need to connect one to earth. I would say the black wire needs to be connected to earth and the red wire connected to the Light Green with a Black trace original wire.

There is already a relay in the horn circuit, so if the horn was working before it's just a matter of connecting the Light Green with a Black trace to earth via your horn switch.

grubkenbel
14th December 2012, 12:25 PM
Did the horn work when the original steering wheel was fitted?

I'm not sure what this purple wire is. The original horn wire that plugs into the clock spring should be a Light Green wire with a Black trace. If you earth this wire the horn should sound.

If the boss kit has 2 wires you will need to connect one to earth. I would say the black wire needs to be connected to earth and the red wire connected to the Light Green with a Black trace original wire.

There is already a relay in the horn circuit, so if the horn was working before it's just a matter of connecting the Light Green with a Black trace to earth via your horn switch.
yep it worked with the factory wheel.
the only wires that were connected to the factory wheel were one purple, one yellow and one yellow with green stripe.
Have earthed all and none want to play.
will be heading downstairs shortly to muck around with it again.

threedogs
14th December 2012, 12:31 PM
You are not in australia are you??????

grubkenbel
14th December 2012, 12:51 PM
You are not in australia are you??????

YES i sure am about 6 hours from brissy why?

threedogs
14th December 2012, 02:55 PM
How you going to have roadworthy 4x4 with no airbag steering wheel ?????

grubkenbel
14th December 2012, 04:55 PM
How you going to have roadworthy 4x4 with no airbag steering wheel ?????

airbags were faulty at the car road worthy from the dealer as was most of the car.

grubkenbel
14th December 2012, 04:56 PM
well fixed the horn turns out i had to put the two green wires together and the purple wire was the earth.

threedogs
14th December 2012, 05:13 PM
Gee I would have thought a white wire was earth, go figure. Look cool now with new bling wheel , put up a pic if poss please