PDA

View Full Version : Want a shorty

Bluntman
21st November 2010, 10:26 PM
Hi guys

I've been into 4WDing for awhile and have a Mitsubishi Challenger with 2" lift, 31" muddies and injected gas. I love the car but am looking to get something a bit more capable.

I love the shorties and am looking for something around the 1990's.

Joined up to this forum for some advice. The TD42 seem to be a great motor but the fuel consumption to km's is heaps more than my Challenger on gas, works out to be an extra $50 for the same mileage and that will add up every week. So i'm wondering if I should go for a diesel or a petrol thats been converted to gas. I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper on gas but does it affect the off road performance that much compared to the diesel? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

XLR8
21st November 2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but any Patrol will be heavier on the juice than your Challenger. Petrol/Gas GQ's will average 250-300 to an 80L gas tank and around 200-250 on a 60L sub depending on tuning. A non-turbo TD42 will average around 500-550 on the std 95L tank but add a turbo and this will obviously drop. I do know of some exceptions that get better than this but this is just a guide. The TD42 is still the better option for reliabilty and touring but will be slower off the line and steep hill climbs. Either option is still formidable off road and gas makes little or no difference off road if set up and tuned properly. You will probably pay alot more for a deisel than a petrol/gas and shorties hold their value better than wagons for some reason

Bluntman
21st November 2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks mate thats a great help. I realise they will be more than my challenger as its a much newer car running injected gas, just wanted to compare the two options on the shorty.
It'll be a daily so I would rather keep running costs down if I can, but if that means losing offroad ability then I'll go the diesel as that is the whole point of changing cars.

AB
22nd November 2010, 07:55 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask anything and join in the conversations.

patch697
22nd November 2010, 09:25 PM
Welcome on boars mate & I hope you enjoy the forum.

Finly Owner
23rd November 2010, 12:13 AM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House

Tim

Russell1974
23rd November 2010, 10:04 PM
welcome aboard mate good luck with your search

Bluntman
23rd November 2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the welcomes fellas, glad I found this forum.

Maxhead
24th November 2010, 07:51 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate