PDA

View Full Version : 500K service. Producing list to do

BigRAWesty
12th December 2012, 04:29 AM
We its nearly there. I'll be taking the old girl off the road for a month around late Jan early Feb.
I'll be pulling the front grill, radiator and the rest off as I'm doing the cooling system and pulleys. And hopefully fitting an endless are setup..

So I know there is the service manual, but I'm making a list of things I need to complete certain tasks. Like 53 mm socket for the wheel bearings, etc..
So here's the start..

COOLANT SYSTEM
Water pump
Gaskets
Hoses
Clamps
Coolant
V belts

SWIVEL HUB AND BEARINGS
Bearing and seal kit
53mm socket
Hammer
Punch
Grease (high-speed bearing)
Diff oil
Engine flush (will be added to diffs 1000k before service)

VALVE CLEARANCES
blade Feeler gauges
Rocker cover gasket.

ENGINE / GEARBOX MOUNTS
If needed, I need the mounts.
Trolley jack to take the engine weight.

BRAKE SYSTEM
Fluids (dot 4)
Pads inspection
Rotor inspection
I have to install a brake bias bracket to offset my 3" lift

GEARBOX / TRANSFER CASE
I intend on removing bottom plate and giving a good visual. So
Gearbox oil
Cover gasket

DRIVE LINE
Inspect drive shafts and uni joints

DIFFS
Inspection of seals
Flush and new fluids

ENGINE BIRTHDAY..
Pressure clean and degrease
New glow plugs
New injectors (budget allowing)
Filters - oil, air and fuel
Fuel pump inspection and tweak (more fuel..)

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MC97GQ
12th December 2012, 05:57 AM
Kallen,

Seeing as you are giving us an opportunity for us to spend some money for you,

Suspension parts and cab/body mounts might be worth checking/replacing unless you know they have been done recently.

Cab/body mounts seem to get overlooked and can create problems as they deteriorate, which can lead to the body actually crushing brake lines etc.

Just some thoughts

Mark

taslucas
12th December 2012, 07:11 AM
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

Lmao

Tap, crackle, pop

BigRAWesty
12th December 2012, 08:54 AM
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

Lmao

Tap, crackle, pop

I did. And all that came up was the manual..

Also Mark I recently installed a 1" body lift. All mounts were inspected then and bolts replaced. I possible will be doing engine mounts.

I don't have an endless budget. But im thinking $1000 should cover it.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

jack
12th December 2012, 09:10 AM
Love to see what NISSAN would charge for that work

Ben-e-boy
12th December 2012, 09:12 AM
I use a "high pressure" Moly based grease for the CV's.
make sure you drain the block of all the coolant so you dont mix the inhibitors.

you could flush the engine while you are there, or at least inspect it for sludge deposits you can do this by removing the oil cap and jam your fingers as far in as you can into the wells of the head and see if and carbon get stuck to your finger tips. Or, better still remove the inspection plate infront of the injector pump (on the timing case). On the inside of that cover is a common place for sludge deposits. there will most likely be a tiny bit but if it is full then you should be considering further inspection and clean

BigRAWesty
12th December 2012, 09:28 AM
Love to see what NISSAN would charge for that work

More than $1000 that's for sure..

Also Ben, I'm guessing your talking about oil sludge build up?

I am however going to flush the complete cooling system. Not sure if ill pull the radiator apart as I don't have heat issues atm.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

lorrieandjas
12th December 2012, 09:32 AM
Hi mate - don't forget the "non-mechanical" items - greasing door hinges, bonnet latch, locks - also things like seat belts, retractors, etc. Might also pay to look at parking brake, foot brake, clutch pedal, etc?

Dunno how far you want to go though?

Jas

BigRAWesty
12th December 2012, 09:45 AM
Hi mate - don't forget the "non-mechanical" items - greasing door hinges, bonnet latch, locks - also things like seat belts, retractors, etc. Might also pay to look at parking brake, foot brake, clutch pedal, etc?

Dunno how far you want to go though?

Jas

Yea good one. I did have new front hinges in the list..
Thanks for reminding me..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

taslucas
12th December 2012, 12:12 PM
I did. And all that came up was the manual..
[/URL]

What about the dedicated thread called "preventive maintenance - what to look for" (or something similar)
It had q wealth of service tips

Tap, crackle, pop