PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise when slowing down.

NewDan
11th December 2012, 08:49 AM
Hey all ,

Got a problem with the GQ and rather than take it to a mechanic as I usually do I want to try tackle this myself over my holidays and maybe try learn something.

The problem is a noise when coasting to a stop. Sort of like you would have with a flat spot on a tyre or something out of round or grabbing when slowing down. Its directly linked to the speed of the veichle and only when coasting to a stop. Sort of like da.da.da..da...da......da........da............... da.

It only happens some times. and can feel a vibration through the gear shift when it happens.

I get it when in gear, out of gear, clutch in, cluth out , so I dont think it coming from the gear box or clutch. At first I though it was coming from the front end but now I'm thinking mid veichle.

Any ideas where I should start looking.

Many thanks,
Dan

Winnie
11th December 2012, 09:00 AM
Wheel bearing?

DIAL-A-TAP

BigRAWesty
11th December 2012, 09:23 AM
Tail shaft clear of stuff wrapped around it?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
11th December 2012, 12:50 PM
Also look on the inside of your tyres you may have blown the sidewall out causing a bulge.
But going with Westy something caught Maybe even rocks in between disc and rim,

SKID
12th July 2014, 01:09 AM
Hey all ,

Got a problem with the GQ and rather than take it to a mechanic as I usually do I want to try tackle this myself over my holidays and maybe try learn something.

The problem is a noise when coasting to a stop. Sort of like you would have with a flat spot on a tyre or something out of round or grabbing when slowing down. Its directly linked to the speed of the veichle and only when coasting to a stop. Sort of like da.da.da..da...da......da........da............... da.

It only happens some times. and can feel a vibration through the gear shift when it happens.

I get it when in gear, out of gear, clutch in, cluth out , so I dont think it coming from the gear box or clutch. At first I though it was coming from the front end but now I'm thinking mid veichle.

Any ideas where I should start looking.

Many thanks,
Dan

Mine is doing the same, did you end up finding the fault? was it an easy fix?

HippoNZ
12th July 2014, 06:54 PM
I have had a similar problem before and just before I would come to a complete stop I would get a really good thud, turned out to be wheel bearings shot.