PDA

View Full Version : 1991 GQ TI TB42 Manual Dual Fuel

mylesh
10th December 2012, 04:22 PM
Hi to all 4 x 4 patrol forum users.

I am not new to 4WDs but fairly new to Patrols.
I like Patrols so much that for the last 3 years I have had 2 Y60s, a Maverick and a Patrol TI both manuals.

My background is engineering in the aviation industry so I have a strong bias towards reliability. From experience I am nervous about anything that has not been tested over a long periods and varying conditions. The Y60 has been around long enough now that most of the problems have surfaced. The number of GQs still on the road is testament to a great design and excellent build quality that Euros can only dream about.

Up till now I have used the Maverick in the bush and the TI for daily driving. The Maverick is now going to retire and the TI will take over the 4WD trips. This is not to say the Maverick is in any way worn out, it is just that it has done 400,000 km and the TI has only done 200,000.

Anyway my usual modification is to remove all seats except the front 2 seats and put in a double bed frame at window height. This allows myself and my wife to pull off the road climb back and sleep without setting up a tent. Great when it rains or you are tired. All the gear including generator, Waeco CFX40 chainsaw camp oven etc. etc. goes under the bed frame. The bed frame can be removed and the seats put back in 20 minutes if required.

I have not modified the suspension at all and don't have any plans to do so as it suits my needs at the moment.

All in all I am delighted with the Patrol and look forward to learning a lot from other lucky owners of these great cars.

Regards
Myles

wildgu6
10th December 2012, 04:50 PM
G'day Myles, Welcome aboard mate.
Great bunch here with tons of advice, info, adventures and plenty of laughs to absorb.
Join in and soak it all up. You will meet some top people,
So is that St Kilda Vic or SA ???
Would love to see some pics of your set up, sounds like a good idea

Enjoy, cheers Pete

growler2058
10th December 2012, 06:37 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Sent from my tapped out thumbs

Dhuck
10th December 2012, 07:57 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

healy
10th December 2012, 09:13 PM
welcome to the forum mate

choppie
11th December 2012, 12:35 AM
Hi Myles, Welcome to the best forum on the planet mate,
that sounds like a good setup, pics please.

my third 256
11th December 2012, 06:53 AM
hi and welcom to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

Bloodyaussie
11th December 2012, 07:01 AM
Welcome aboard mate..........

lorrieandjas
11th December 2012, 07:08 AM
Hi Myles and welcome to the forum! I hear you on the reliability factor - I'm a GA pilot - ain't no servos at 10'000 feet! Great bunch of people on here and heaps of advice and tips to be had too!

Jas

threedogs
11th December 2012, 12:46 PM
Hello and welcome if you worked at Qmart shoot me a PM we may have ppl in common especially if Line maintainence or Dock.
Plenty of info and tips here for you, just enjoy

Maxhead
12th December 2012, 12:20 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

mylesh
12th December 2012, 02:04 PM
So is that St Kilda Vic or SA ???

Victoria.
Will post some pics... can't see much until next time I go camping and all the gear is out.
Myles

MEGOMONSTER
17th December 2012, 06:27 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Bigrig
17th December 2012, 06:30 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

four play
17th December 2012, 06:41 PM
welcome mate