PDA

View Full Version : Have I bought a lemon ?

Matty13
9th December 2012, 06:49 PM
Hi guys. I've recently bought a 1991 model gq, tb42. It has had a pretty hard life from the previous owner. I can tell by abit of mud in a lot of places. It has all the gear. Including. Roof rack, snorkel, winch, bullbar, UHF, 5x cooper mud tyres, aluminium radiator, dual batteries, rear work light and spot lights. Underneath is rough. Bit of rust above front window and in battery tray. I need to do a swivel hub rebuild and the power steering is leaking abit of fluid. It's got 220 000 klms on it. Is $4400 a good buy for this truck. ? I would love some advice here guys. It's my first off road truck.

Cheer. Matt.

growler2058
9th December 2012, 06:54 PM
Lot of truck for the $ power steering leak has the potential to get pricey to repair

Sent from my tapped out thumbs

threedogs
9th December 2012, 06:59 PM
Change the fluids, cost about $450 to repair swivel hubs, no idea on power steering, give it a decent clean and detail the interior. you may look at it in a different light.
$4400 to go camping and 4x4ing, hell yeah

taslucas
9th December 2012, 07:13 PM
I bought my TB42 with 410,00 on the clock knowing that they are an awesome strong engine

Tap, crackle, pop

Matty13
9th December 2012, 07:13 PM
I've done all the fluids already. I've done the plugs and the lead. And the belts and stuff. Why do you think the power steering will be pricy ? So your saying its prity good bargin for the price I paid ?

growler2058
9th December 2012, 07:16 PM
Yup i think you did alright!
If the pump is just a seal no worries if it needs to be rebuilt it will be costly

Matty13
9th December 2012, 07:22 PM
I'm just a little worried about the rust. How do I fix the inner guard ? Is there a panel I can get ? Or just weld a patch ? And above the front window ? I thought it was worth more in parts then anything else. I knew it was abit of work. But nothing is unfixable right ?

threedogs
9th December 2012, 07:24 PM
Just add up the price of all your accessories and you may find you got the 4x4 for free. lol
Wheres the pic, we need a pic, mate
Could just fibreglass it, but really need pics
Fix it sell it to get a better one maybe

lorrieandjas
9th December 2012, 09:58 PM
Mate - at the end of the day no car is unfixable..... well almost! Drive it, enjoy it and when you get the time and money fix it and add the bits you want. I think its a good buy - but as threedogs said - pics will help!

Jas

happygu
9th December 2012, 11:33 PM
You might be suprised how cheap it is to weld in and paint a patch in the rusty area.

You could do this yourself if you are handy, or try a smaller panel shop where their overheads aren't as high....

Mic

Matty13
10th December 2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm pritty good in the tools so later on down the track I will give the welding a go. It's not really bothering at the moment. I just need to get it running mechanically sound and the rest ill worry about later. Cheers guys.