PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide TD42 or LS1?

Reddave
8th December 2012, 04:01 PM
My GU series 3 has a ZD30 auto, I didn't buy it for the engine!!!

I bought it because it was auto, yep another lazy driver!!

Over the next 12 months I will be fitting reduction gears to the transfer and starting to acquire bits to start a conversion.

But which motor, TD42 or LS1?

Pros of a td42:
It's diesel, easy to get bits for and easy to maintain
Cons of a td42:
Unless I can win tatts, would have to change to manual

Pros of a ls1:
More than enough power, can keep the auto, easy to get bits for
Cons of a ls1:
It's petrol

A few questions:
Will a ls1 still give me decent economy for long distance touring?
How is it possible to keep my auto but still have a td42?

Budget at this stage is around $10k, and will be doing MOST of the work myself, have access to a workshop and am a mechanic by trade.

What would you choose and why?

The car is currently set up as a tourer, and take every opportunity to put the camper on the back and disappear for a weekend.
I don't really want a comp truck, just something that is more reliable than a zd30, something I can just drive and not have that grenade factor in the back of my mind.

Yendor
8th December 2012, 04:10 PM
Have a chat with Killa Kustom Kables, I believe they can modify your engine harness so you can run the TD42 engine with the ZD30 auto.

threedogs
8th December 2012, 04:14 PM
Been down the V8 chev conversion road 18/100 hwy never again, for a daily driver to do long outback trips no brainer T/D 4.2 with auto bolted to the back.

Mind you 350 chev was fun for 18yrs .

Reddave
8th December 2012, 04:17 PM
Have a chat with Killa Kustom Kables, I believe they can modify your engine harness so you can run the TD42 engine with the ZD30 auto.

Thanks mate, they do both looms

Td42 to zd30 and ls1 to zd30

nissannewby
8th December 2012, 04:36 PM
Yeah they will. Also patrolapart has kits for these as well. Patty wagon on here has done the same conversion td42 to 3.0 auto maybe flick him a pm for some info.

Reddave
8th December 2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks mate, I'll send a PM once I get closer to to the conversion

russ81
8th December 2012, 04:59 PM
How's it going mate, I've just finished the conversion to a 6.0L L98 and I'm pulling between 20-22L/100km, I love having the V8, but if economy is a priority I would be going with the TD42

Sent while temporally motionless

Reddave
8th December 2012, 05:12 PM
How's it going mate, I've just finished the conversion to a 6.0L L98 and I'm pulling between 20-22L/100km, I love having the V8, but if economy is a priority I would be going with the TD42

Sent while temporally motionless
Cheers mate, the economy of the ZD30 with all my gear in is woeful anyway (19l per 100km)
But that's with the camper on as well

Sort of hoping for 15s or lower to make it worth it

Looks like the TD is the winner

Yendor
8th December 2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks mate, they do both looms

Td42 to zd30 and ls1 to zd30

So why would you want to fit an LS1 for touring then?

Reddave
8th December 2012, 06:11 PM
So why would you want to fit an LS1 for touring then?

That's why I'm asking the question, I have had falcons not commodores and have no idea on economy

Yendor
8th December 2012, 06:54 PM
That's why I'm asking the question, I have had falcons not commodores and have no idea on economy

Sorry, I thought your main enquiry was if it was possible to fit the TD42 to a ZD30 auto without major expense.

Not if the LS1 petrol engine is more economical then the 6 cylinder diesel engine.

Reddave
8th December 2012, 07:01 PM
It's all good, I just reread my original post and even I got confused lol

I did ask 2 questions, but when I reread it, it merged into one question in my head

One more vote for TD I would imagine

nissannewby
8th December 2012, 07:05 PM
Yep td42 all the way my 4.2 ute will tow a 2.5t trailer at around the 17l/100

Yendor
8th December 2012, 07:23 PM
No worries mate. A TD42 with an auto would make the ultimate tourer..... IMO.

OK fuel economy, great reliability and drivability.

And if you are chasing more power from the TD42 check out Ben-e-boy threads....it will blow your mind.

Robo
8th December 2012, 11:08 PM
Mate TD42 + turbo.
For what you want to do TD all the way.
And 1 day you may want to sell it, which will retain sell on value, The TD hands down.
Not to mention TD v LS1 & insurance is a no brainer either.
TD will out last any GM pony anyday.

yeah the LS will be fun for a while but only for a while untill typical GM build standards begin to show up and let you down.

BigRAWesty
8th December 2012, 11:48 PM
TD42+ turbo all the way. Keep the TLC up to them and you'll get 500,000+ k's from them. And you keep your economy...

How strong is the rd30 auto though? Will it handle the long trips underload?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

nissannewby
9th December 2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah the zd30 auto is a pretty solid unit. The companies that do the 6.5 Chev conversions bolt them to these autos

BigRAWesty
9th December 2012, 11:26 PM
Yeah the zd30 auto is a pretty solid unit. The companies that do the 6.5 Chev conversions bolt them to these autos

There ya go.. easy swap..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)