PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Roof platform

Drewboyaus
7th December 2012, 06:06 PM
G'day,
Wasn't quite sure where to post this one.....
Am looking at roof racks etc at the moment and I'm quite keen on the Rhino pioneer platform tray. Only problem is they don't have an official listing for an appropriate GQ version, only the GU. I already have a set of HD Rhino bars which is why the roof platform appeals so much.
Does anyone have any thoughts and or suggestions? Experience with the pioneer trays etc?
Cheers,
Drew.

Clunk
7th December 2012, 09:02 PM
It should be ok but to be sure, you should contact your local rhino rack distributor. You may also need an extra bar or 2 if you only have 2 bars already, depending on what loads your gonna be putting up there.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Drewboyaus
9th December 2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks mate. I've been to see one of the main Rhino disty's here about awnings and was horribly disappointed with their knowledge.
Hopefully will be better with racks...
Cheers,
Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clunk
9th December 2012, 10:58 PM
With out jumping on the lappy to take a look, I think the actual platform is the same size no matter what car it's going on..........

twisty
10th December 2012, 07:49 AM
With out jumping on the lappy to take a look, I think the actual platform is the same size no matter what car it's going on..........

Spot on Clunk. And the platform legs are adjustable.

Drewboyaus
14th December 2012, 11:25 PM
Aren't the platform legs and the legs on my Rhino bars one in the same?

Clunk
14th December 2012, 11:41 PM
Think you just attach the platform directly to your existing bars

Forced Offroad
14th December 2012, 11:46 PM
I've made my Rhino platform tray work.
As mentioned size wont really matter as long as the roof racks are wide enough. Then there a brackets to suit. Auto Barn are Rhino Distributors

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/jbiggsy/3F3C34C0-4654-4E6F-B0DC-94EE780426BF-10646-0000094AE479D4F6_zps7a0857bb.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/jbiggsy/IMG_2179_zps8658b11e.jpg

I have Rhino U-bolt clamps to lock it down once i way made the main cross member bar.... Just always remember the load capacity

twisty
15th December 2012, 10:45 AM
Aren't the platform legs and the legs on my Rhino bars one in the same?

Think you just attach the platform directly to your existing bars

The legs are the same but different bars are used. Six legs per platform (8 can be fitted). I've moved the platform forward and added a single HD bar, so more storage with rtt fitted. I had to add 10mm spacers to the bar so everything was lined up. The GU has a slightly curved gutter toward the front and a couple of spaces on the front legs are also needed.

23361 23362

Better than a thousand words.

Drewboyaus
15th December 2012, 11:04 AM
Great pics thanks.
My guess is that as long as the tray width works with the GQ's roof (somebody recently suggested the Troopy one might fit better) then it should be all good.
Can I ask what size you got and how much it was?
Cheers,
Drew.

twisty
15th December 2012, 11:34 AM
I got a 42014 (http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Pioneer-Platforms_Page_2_Accessory_Pioneer-Platform_491_68.aspx). Also got the hoop and rail option (http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Pioneer-Platform-Rail-Options_Page_1_Accessory_Pioneer-Platform-Front-and-Side-Rail-Kit_506_69.aspx). Prices in links. You have to buy the legs separately. You can also fit a platform to existing Rhino HD bars.

threedogs
15th December 2012, 01:43 PM
I'm just about to embark on the same path.
Going to be using the Rhino aero bar X 3 and build a custom low profile roof platform.
It'll have brackets for awning , lightbar and rear light bars welded on, I'll be doing a bit via the DIY section.
Probably very early next year now.

Drewboyaus
16th December 2012, 12:31 PM
When you say build, are you welding it up yourself?

Morton
18th December 2012, 09:01 PM
I switch my Rhino racks between the 2 vehicles (GU to GQ), you do need a spacer & longer bolts for the very front bar for the GU