PDA

View Full Version : Engel vs Waeco

Blownlc
6th December 2012, 04:54 PM
G'day all,

I'm looking at buying a fridge/freezer, and I am unsure which of the above is the better option. All the people I know who have an Engel are telling me that they're the best, as are the people with a waeco telling me that they are the best.

Could anyone advise me of their experiences with both? Has anyone had one of each?

I realise the waecos are cheaper than engels, is that reflective of quality and reliability, or just cheaper manufacturing cost?

Your thoughts and experience is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Stu

MEGOMONSTER
6th December 2012, 05:11 PM
You might want to check out other threads on this topic in the search bar. Should be plenty of info for you

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Pog mo th'oin.

MEGOMONSTER
6th December 2012, 05:14 PM
I have a Waeco 50 lt and I haven't had a problem since new. My mate has an engel and he too hasn't had a problem. Both our fridges are set on zero degrees and have never been off running 24/7.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Pog mo th'oin.

MudRunnerTD
6th December 2012, 05:24 PM
I have one of each and reckon the waeco drags more power.

Seriously consider the ARB range mate. If I was spending again it would be an ARB fridge in a blink. Made by 4wders for 4wders. Lid lifts straight off, the controls and temp reading is at the front and very easy to live with.

My 2c

MEGOMONSTER
6th December 2012, 05:42 PM
I have one of each and reckon the waeco drags more power.

Seriously consider the ARB range mate. If I was spending again it would be an ARB fridge in a blink. Made by 4wders for 4wders. Lid lifts straight off, the controls and temp reading is at the front and very easy to live with.

My 2c

The ARB fridge is made by Dometic which make Waeco fridges. Go figure.

EDIT: I could be wrong

Pog mo th'oin.

macca
6th December 2012, 05:42 PM
In our family we have 4 Engels and just bought number 5 for my daughter for Christmas.

My brother bought us one in '82 when we got married, sold it for a 40th Anniversary model as they use 1/2 the power. It was still going strong.

Guess what I would recommend.

My brother has the oldest one we own, it has the coil on the outside of the cabinet!

Every fridge that has given trouble while on a trip has been a W....

If you gave me one I would sell it straight away.

Maxhead
6th December 2012, 05:58 PM
I've had both and had no problems with either. Both performed really well . Much of a muchnes these days so go for the price mate

threedogs
6th December 2012, 06:50 PM
I always thought the ARB fridge was an Engel copy, in the early days at least, Plenty of features from both, Mine like Megos' has been on since 1994 when I brought it very rarely turn it off.
I've recently added a digital controller which sees temp vary only 1 degree so far. Would like to fit a TwoZone to mine {40} as the 60 lt is too big for my needs, I have baileys icebox for beer and Engel does food and a few beers. Engel like Waceo are National ,Both great fridges but Engel for me. 19 years young and not a mark on it, the fridge that is

PMC
6th December 2012, 08:34 PM
G'day all,

I'm looking at buying a fridge/freezer, and I am unsure which of the above is the better option. All the people I know who have an Engel are telling me that they're the best, as are the people with a waeco telling me that they are the best.

Could anyone advise me of their experiences with both? Has anyone had one of each?

I realise the waecos are cheaper than engels, is that reflective of quality and reliability, or just cheaper manufacturing cost?

Your thoughts and experience is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Stu

G'day Stu,

I have got an ARB 45lt fridge freezer. I have had it for 2 and half years, it has been to Cape York, the Gulf country, Frazer Island and traveled all over the mid north coast NSW. It has been fantastic. I have also had an Engel 40lt fridge freezer. I never had any trouble with it either.

However 2 & years ago when i was searching for another fridge freezer, what drew me to purchasing the ARB is exactly what MudRunner TD has stated. Plus the fact that the ARB was $300.00 cheaper at the time as well!

Regards,

RLI

dads tractor
6th December 2012, 09:45 PM
My first Engel lasted 23 years on the floor of graders loaders under canvas in trucks on bush roads thats what i call reliable and the price for a 40 lt hasnt changed since 2001

Drewboyaus
6th December 2012, 10:11 PM
In my opinion (for what it's worth) I reckon the choice is really only between Engel and ARB.
The older Weaco's had larger current draw than their equivalent competitors and nearly everyone I know who has had a Waeco has had something go wrong. The brand new models might be better. Never heard of a problem with either the ARB or Engel though.
I recon the size range is a more suitable from ARB too.
Cheers,
Andrew.

the evil twin
6th December 2012, 10:36 PM
Best Fridge brand on the market... National Luna
Toughest Fridge brand on the market... Engel (owned by Sawafuji and thus the only one using that unique compressor)
Right up there with those two but not quite as good overall as the Luna and hungrier on power than the Engel but still a cracker... Trailblazer

ARB seem pretty damn good but I have no personal knowledge of them

In order of preference if I had an open Cheque book
National Luna
Engel
Waeco

Bottom line IMHO is whatever best deal you can get from Promo's etc is pretty much they way to go. Even the "Ebay no names" coming out with the Danfoss cloned guts are a consideration at the price for many people.
I have gone back to Engel after a love/hate with Waeco's and much happier now.

Blownlc
21st February 2013, 08:35 AM
Ok so I had pretty much forgotten about this tread. I ended up buying a second hand 40ltr Engel (under a year old and still in warranty) with the travel bag for $830. So for sooooooooo good. I gave it a test run for a few hours on full freeze and she got down to -25deg. Its been in the back of the rig for just under three months and has kept my beers a lovely 2 degrees constantly!

The rig sat on the driveway for a week, I jumped in and heard that light hum of the compressor, and thought oh oooh! But she still cranked over with out a problem. I do have duel batteries however. Any have any idea how long it would take to drain both of them?

Blownlc
21st February 2013, 08:37 AM
And thanks for all your input and advice lads! I had read all you posts. Just got a little excited after picking up and forgot to respond.

Bloodyaussie
21st February 2013, 08:47 AM
I have an old engel and it is brilliant... I spoke to the bloke that does the warranties for the Engels and the Waeco's in the Northern suburbs for ARB and he swears by the Engels..

He said he gets the Waeco's in all the time for warranty issues ... and that ARB dont use a thick enough gauge wire when doing the install and this is another issue???

This is only what I have been told by the electrician.

lorrieandjas
21st February 2013, 10:02 AM
Old debate - but for what it's worth I have always had Waecos. I had an Engel once and for whatever reason it just didn't seem to run so well for me. I love the 80L dual-zone Waeco. But each to their own - I think its like the Patrol vs Toyota debate sounds like your happy with the Engel so that is a good thing!

Jas

BigRAWesty
21st February 2013, 10:28 AM
Some great bargains to be had atm with the release of the new cf-x range of weaco's.. got my brand new 55ltr for $900 with free bag..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Bloodyaussie
21st February 2013, 11:12 AM
Yeah believe me if a Waeco came up a good price I would not pass it up as a preference ..

Blacklotusdog
21st February 2013, 12:52 PM
Hey Westy, was that one of the new CFX 55L or was it an older model on clearance, i have been looking at the CFX 65L but best price i have found is $1300.

Winnie
21st February 2013, 01:03 PM
I can get wholesale price on Waeco fridges through my work.

nickpeacock36
21st February 2013, 01:10 PM
A little tip for Waeco owners. Put a little dab of Lanotec or similar grease on the little plastic hinges as they bind and can snap off (as i found out) I had to glue it and now with the grease there are no issues.

BigRAWesty
21st February 2013, 02:03 PM
A little tip for Waeco owners. Put a little dab of Lanotec or similar grease on the little plastic hinges as they bind and can snap off (as i found out) I had to glue it and now with the grease there are no issues.

Yes on the earlier models they were an issue. But they have changed the compound and has seemed to solved the issue..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Stropp
21st February 2013, 06:34 PM
I have recently purchased a primus mamoth (waeco) metal bodied fridge with cover thruogh work and it works a treat, very happy with it so far.

Blownlc
21st February 2013, 08:31 PM
That could make a good group buy Winnie! Get enough numbers and you could score a free one!

Winnie
21st February 2013, 08:45 PM
Not really mate, wholesaling is overrated, to get you guys a good deal I would have to sell at my cost (which I would get a big slap for), then I'd have to charge you freight which wouldn't be cheap. Honestly if you were a local bloke I could do it but adding freight you could probably get it cheaper locally. For example I know my cost on a 40L Waeco of the new range is about $850+GST. Add $50 or so to keep me out of trouble at work, add freight, add GST and you're looking at retail price....