PDA

View Full Version : CAV fuel filter on 4.2TDi

Cuppa
6th December 2012, 01:41 PM
Has anyone fitted one of these filters to this motor?
Where did you find space to fit it?
If you fitted it before before the factory filter did/do you have any problem bleeding it?
I have seen CAV fuel fiter housings with bleed pumps fitted - would this be worthwhile?

Any pics of one fitted under a GU bonnet with 4.2TDi would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cuppa

MudRunnerTD
6th December 2012, 05:34 PM
I have one fitted to my GQ cuppa. It is actually fitted to the bottom of the factory priming pump and is used as am alternative to a factory filter. By design you can change them more often and see any water separation and drain it as required.

I like it

Old Wal
6th December 2012, 05:58 PM
I have a Delphi HDF 296 fiitted before the factory filter on my 4.2TDi. No problems bleeding fuel system.
Has water seperator on the bottom with clear bowl. Never had any water in it yet however I try to be selective ( if possible ) as to where I buy fuel.
Best to unbolt housing as a unit ( with filter attached ) , remove filter / bowl , then tip upside down to install new filter etc because there is an O ring that is tricky to keep aligned if you try to do the change over in situ.

pearcey
6th December 2012, 07:23 PM
Cuppa.
Mate the Delphi units are very good and their filters, filter down to around 5.5 microns where the Ryco and many others only filter to about 16 microns.
Before or after OE filter doesn`t really make any difference but remember there is a small gauze filter under the banjo bolt of the fuel inlet pipe on the injector pump this can be a bit of a bugger to get at when your on the road.

nissannewby
6th December 2012, 11:34 PM
You could mount it wherever you like cuppa. I have seen them mounted off the tray just above the fuel tank and accessed from the gap between tyre and guard (no bleed issues). You will see a benefit in performance and bleeding if you run a facet style lift pump also.

How often do you change your current fuel filter? I change mine every 5k and doing it this regularly should see no issues fuel wise. The factory filters do have a water trap in them and a sensor to tell you if there is water in there. In saying that extra filtration will always be beneficial as injector pumps are sensitive bits of gear.

douglarv
28th March 2013, 04:19 PM
I would like to second Cuppa's request to see a picture of one of these installed under the bonnet. It does sound like a good idea if there is space.