PDA

View Full Version : Oil catch can smoke

BOWZER
3rd December 2012, 02:35 PM
I have a oil catch can fitted and on Sunday I fitted a breather to it and now I'm getting smoke from it?

BearGUST
3rd December 2012, 02:45 PM
Do you have a pic of what you've done? What do you mean 'fitted a breather to it'?
You should have the hose from the rocker cover into your catch can inlet, and the outlet hose from the catch can going into the intake duct.

BOWZER
3rd December 2012, 02:50 PM
What I mean as breather is a air filter to the top ill get a pic soon

BOWZER
3rd December 2012, 03:02 PM
Here it pics of the set up

BearGUST
3rd December 2012, 03:39 PM
Not sure what the idea is with the breather... I would think you will always get smoke out of that. Does the breather allow unmetered air in/out of the engine?
Most systems are sealed. Here's mine:

BOWZER
3rd December 2012, 03:47 PM
do you still get blow through with you catch can?

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2012, 03:52 PM
Not sure what the idea is with the breather... I would think you will always get smoke out of that. Does the breather allow unmetered air in/out of the engine?
Most systems are sealed. Here's mine:

MINE IS THE SAME AS BearGUST AS MOST ARE ,ALL I CAN SEE THAT DOING IS FILL UP WITH OIL AS THE FUMES
ARE PUSHED THROUGH IT THATS WHY ITS SMOKING ,AS FAR AS I KNOW ALL CATCHCANS ARE SEALED AT THE TOP

BOWZER
3rd December 2012, 03:59 PM
mine was sealed but i took the top bolt out to fit the filter, i was trying to stop the blow through, cos i have a brand new intercooler which is getting oil through it

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2012, 04:26 PM
mine was sealed but i took the top bolt out to fit the filter, i was trying to stop the blow through, cos i have a brand new intercooler which is getting oil through it

what sort of a catchcan have you got,how have you set it up?

BOWZER
3rd December 2012, 04:38 PM
i bought a drift brand and hooked it in line from the rocker cover to the pcv

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2012, 04:48 PM
i bought a drift brand and hooked it in line from the rocker cover to the pcv

most of us use the provent 200 same as above have you blanked of the egr ,cause i dont know why you would be getting oil in
i/c and if your getting that much oil the m.a.f must be dirty as well and giving false readings

BOWZER
3rd December 2012, 04:51 PM
i have a brand new maf and maybe its a just a shit catch can. could it be turbo seals? i have blocked of the egr

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2012, 04:58 PM
i have a brand new maf and maybe its a just a shit catch can. Could it be turbo seals? I have blocked of the egr

not sure mate sooo type in catchcan in the search box
lots of reading in there and think about a provent

boots
3rd December 2012, 05:07 PM
That filter cap is allowing the vapours to escape and take the easiest path which is to the atmosphere - which is illegal . bung it off , remove the lid of your catch can and inspect the inside . Dare say it will be empty . time to make your own filter - steel wool and cotton wool . but you will have to sevice it every service . - JMO .

BOWZER
3rd December 2012, 05:10 PM
so using britex is a good idea?