PDA

View Full Version : The "Tank" - Big, Grey and Ugly ..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Bigrig
9th December 2011, 08:39 AM
I think the VY commodore seats "almost" fit in...

They do, but they hit both the B pillar (makes it a pain for the seatbelt) an the centre console - if you have two, you can barely get the console lid open ...

That said, they're comfy as and the pros probably outweigh the cons.

Airstrike
9th December 2011, 08:40 AM
A bloke that works for me has the VZ 's in but had to remove the dial on the side to move the back

AB
9th December 2011, 08:51 AM
My company car is a VY wagon. I wonder if the boss would mind if I switched seats...haha

Bigrig
9th December 2011, 09:04 AM
My company car is a VY wagon. I wonder if the boss would mind if I switched seats...haha

lmao - do you think they'd even notice??!!!

AB
9th December 2011, 09:58 AM
lmao - do you think they'd even notice??!!!

Not if I get some seat covers...LMAO

Finly Owner
9th December 2011, 10:22 PM
Dunno boss - got Murray and Dave from Torq4x4 on the hunt for me also ... can't do Recaro or anything like that as my barge @rse won't fit, but there's got to be something that hasn't been tried yet that we can give a lash at!!!

Suggestions??
Think in a box! Have a look at late model UD Truck seats(nissan) comfy and suspension seats.

Forced Offroad
9th December 2011, 11:11 PM
Great build there buddy, enjoying the thread.

Bigrig
10th December 2011, 08:05 AM
Think in a box! Have a look at late model UD Truck seats(nissan) comfy and suspension seats.

Suspension is the way to go for comfort .. hmmm .. I've still got those ones you had, but I'm concerned at both the effort to restore them, and the ride height once in ... and it still leaves the same flat seats in place!!

Hmmm. ...

Bigrig
10th December 2011, 08:07 AM
Great build there buddy, enjoying the thread.

Thanks mate - its a bloody saga no doubt!!! lol. Eventually I'll make one decision and stick to it!!!

Nahhh ... who am I trying to fool!! lol

Silver
10th December 2011, 08:28 AM
REcaro used to make seats for man si2ed rears - not any more? Scheel too, I think.

Bigrig
10th December 2011, 08:46 AM
REcaro used to make seats for man si2ed rears - not any more? Scheel too, I think.

I've seen nothin in Recaro that would mould to my (let's say) rippled frame! lol

That said, I haven't 'really' had a good hunt around as yet ...

Bigrig
14th December 2011, 10:39 PM
The wheel arch flares come off this weekend to be replaced with good old garden edging from Bunnings that I picked up today. Getting ready to fit the 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws I'm getting off Benny after Christmas.

Should look a treat ... I hope!!

A reminder below of what it started as 17 months ago!! Wow!!!

patch697
14th December 2011, 10:42 PM
The wheel arch flares come off this weekend to be replaced with good old garden edging from Bunnings that I picked up today. Getting ready to fit the 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws I'm getting off Benny after Christmas.

Should look a treat ... I hope!!

A reminder below of what it started as 17 months ago!! Wow!!!

Boy he was a nice clean one back then hay......................ahahahahahaha

Bigrig
14th December 2011, 10:44 PM
Boy he was a nice clean one back then hay......................ahahahahahaha

Not so clean now, but a LOT nicer fella!!! lol

patch697
14th December 2011, 10:51 PM
Not so clean now, but a LOT nicer fella!!! lol

Agreed............hahahahahahahaha

Bigrig
14th December 2011, 11:28 PM
Then ...

And now ...

Lordy I love this truck!!

Should look insane with the 35's and the winch on ...

And the boys from Torq4x4 ordered the new valve body, torque converter lockup and auto temp gauge yesterday, so that should be in for the trip next week also ...

Silver
14th December 2011, 11:31 PM
It is great to see Project Tank unfold - each step for a purpose and taken with Lurve!

I do wonder where it will all end though :-)

Bigrig
14th December 2011, 11:40 PM
I do wonder where it will all end though :-)

I think the missus wants to know that also!! lmao

Clunk
15th December 2011, 12:03 AM

looking great mate................ I guess it will end when it ends mate, then start all over again with that GU you were on about!!!!!! lol

Dark 1
15th December 2011, 12:05 AM
Looking tops mate i think you should take over the "tuff" crown now mate, hope you & your fam have a top chrissie new year break & look forward to catching up some time next year.

patch697
15th December 2011, 02:32 AM

Simply tell her the truth...... That itch will never be scratched.......

growler2058
15th December 2011, 06:39 AM
Yer I think he looked better 17mths ago..................................NOT REALLY hes lookin reeeeeeel noice now Scotty

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 07:02 PM
A little bit of work done today (after fitting a new coil ... died this morning ... grrrr). Started on changing over the flares from the factory numbers to the new and improved Bunnings version!! lmao

Used the plastic mounts off the old flares (cut them off) in the interim till I decide what would work best (full stainless mount or individual stainless tabs), but even so, they have worked a treat.

Now I just need that big rubber under them to fill up the space a bit - amazing how much the arch has opened up (seriously looks an inch taller just because of that!). Should come up a million bucks with the 35's under them ...

Will finish off the passenger side in the morning ...

NissanGQ4.2
17th December 2011, 07:09 PM
mmm might have 2 get me some of the bunnings stuff, what is it....just garden edging?

And I hope your doing that valve body change over yourself, and not getting your mechanic mates 2 do it for u!

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 07:12 PM
Just 75mm garden edging ... best thing though is mounting it with the allan key bolts lets me take them off and replace if something better crops up - cheap too!!

And yep, fitting the valve body myself - I won't be able to get anyone to do it as we leave early Thursday morning, and hopefully it arrives on Tuesday, which only leaves me through the day Wednesday to do it ....

NissanGQ4.2
17th December 2011, 07:17 PM
Just 75mm garden edging ... best thing though is mounting it with the allan key bolts lets me take them off and replace if something better crops up - cheap too!!

And yep, fitting the valve body myself - I won't be able to get anyone to do it as we leave early Thursday morning, and hopefully it arrives on Tuesday, which only leaves me through the day Wednesday to do it ....

Leaving 2 come down this way????

Valve body swap over is easy.

New Oil...check

Torque wrench.... check

Bourbon.......check

Jobs done????

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 07:20 PM
Leaving 2 come down this way????

Valve body swap over is easy.

New Oil...check

Torque wrench.... check

Bourbon.......check

Jobs done????

Yeah mate, heading to Sydney over two days - arrive the 23rd.

Yep, valve body should be straight forward - I'll let a professional do the torque converter lockup switch and temp gauge though when I get back.

ozzyboy
17th December 2011, 07:22 PM
flares look a treat mate.
The garden edging works nice :)

ozz

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 07:25 PM
flares look a treat mate.
The garden edging works nice :)

ozz

Thanks mate ... they definitely need a bit of heating to get them to mould to shape and stay there ... did part of the first one, but thought it didn't need it as such, didn't do the back half and it's shifted a little already .. might fix tomorrow if I feel up to it.

NissanGQ4.2
17th December 2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah mate, heading to Sydney over two days - arrive the 23rd.

Yep, valve body should be straight forward - I'll let a professional do the torque converter lockup switch and temp gauge though when I get back.

2 days, that doesn't give me anytime 2 steal parts of TANK :( oh and have a drink of course :)

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 07:32 PM
2 days, that doesn't give me anytime 2 steal parts of TANK :( oh and have a drink of course :)

Haha ... nah, taking 2 days to get down there ... arrive the 23rd and don't leave till Jan 1st to head down to Victoria and meetup with AB and crew.

NissanGQ4.2
17th December 2011, 07:46 PM
Haha ... nah, taking 2 days to get down there ... arrive the 23rd and don't leave till Jan 1st to head down to Victoria and meetup with AB and crew.

hahaha I read it wrong, must be the bourbons :) you know my number, know where I live, always welcome mate. If you have time and want 2 catch up elsewhere, just give me me a call

Bigrig
17th December 2011, 07:51 PM
hahaha I read it wrong, must be the bourbons :) you know my number, know where I live, always welcome mate. If you have time and want 2 catch up elsewhere, just give me me a call

Too easy - I'm planning on catching up, so will work it out with you once down there..

Silver
17th December 2011, 08:32 PM
I don't need the extra height or width, just being a cheapskate on Silver replacing some glass flares - I had thought I'd be able to use the original bolt holes on the guards. but looking at Tank, may have to reconsider :-)

Bigrig
18th December 2011, 03:22 PM
Finished the flares this morning, installed the hub reinforcement rings I got from the lads at Torq4x4, fitted the rear wheel mount back on to get the spare out of the back for the trip to NSW/VIC, and in my flurry of activity, decided to give Tank a looonnnng overdue tub ... inside and out!!! Lucky boy!! lol

So here tis ... can't wait to fit those 35's on it, and the winch in January ... should bring to an end the "visible" upgrades ...

growler2058
18th December 2011, 03:25 PM
Very shiny mate, yup 35's will look the part ay

Bigrig
18th December 2011, 03:28 PM
Very shiny mate, yup 35's will look the part ay

Yeah, amazing what selecting "vibrant" does on the iPhone camera app!!! lmao

Yep - 35's should look a dead set treat ...

Thanks mate!

growler2058
18th December 2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, amazing what selecting "vibrant" does on the iPhone camera app!!! lmao

Yep - 35's should look a dead set treat ...

Thanks mate!

AHHHHAHHAHhaHHHAhaHHHA Cheater......very good :-)

Sir Roofy
18th December 2011, 04:29 PM
Wanting to see tank in the flesh mate will be very interesting

Bigrig
18th December 2011, 05:12 PM
Wanting to see tank in the flesh mate will be very interesting

Are you at the meetup at AB's? Won't be quite as shiny, but will be there!! lol

Maxhead
18th December 2011, 05:15 PM
Looks bloody good Scotty, well done mate

Yendor
18th December 2011, 05:23 PM
There's something not quite right about tank looking so shiny and clean.

Bigrig
18th December 2011, 05:26 PM
Looks bloody good Scotty, well done mate

Thanks mate!

Bigrig
18th December 2011, 05:27 PM
There's something not quite right about tank looking so shiny and clean.

I know!!!! Bizarre hey??!!!! lmao

Silver
18th December 2011, 05:36 PM
Re the blood from Tank's duty as an ambulance, I asked a mate who used to supervise cleaners etc in hospitals, and his advice was to wet down with cold water, then some wool wash, blot, and repeat.

The detailer who worked on Silver when we first bought it, and Casper the Camry, got things really wet, and made extensive use of a wet vac.

I have a biggish wet/dry vac if you want to borrow it.

Bigrig
18th December 2011, 06:05 PM
Re the blood from Tank's duty as an ambulance, I asked a mate who used to supervise cleaners etc in hospitals, and his advice was to wet down with cold water, then some wool wash, blot, and repeat.

The detailer who worked on Silver when we first bought it, and Casper the Camry, got things really wet, and made extensive use of a wet vac.

I have a biggish wet/dry vac if you want to borrow it.

Thanks mate - nothing some bleach and water didn't hammer today ... carpet is decidedly a different colour where I treated, but that bothers me nought! lol

Thanks a million anyway ... only took 6 weeks to clean it properly!!! lmao

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 10:21 AM
About to go for a kip as I've been awake for just on 28 hours straight, but had the new valve body installed yesterday and drove straight to Sydney overnight, but unless there's a way to cock up the install yet everything still works perfectly as it should, then the money I forked out for the valve body was a bit of a waste ... only on for a minute and I'll give greater detail at a later dater, but quite frankly, still runs just as hot, still flares between first and second, still slips in high gears under load from the turbo (overtaking, uphill etc), and worst of all, torque converter now not locking up at all (I didn't install the manual switch - which is optional for towing only by the way), and because of this, I have worn about 29 litres per hundred on the open road on LPG on the trip down as it only dropped into overdrive - had to stop 4 times to refill on a 940klm trip ... painful!!

Very disappointed - hopefully I've done something wrong (which is sort of hard to do and still have it running I guess) so I'm yet to be blown away - right now I'm scratching my head and cursing $1000 not well spent.

patch697
22nd December 2011, 10:30 AM
About to go for a kip as I've been awake for just on 28 hours straight, but had the new valve body installed yesterday and drove straight to Sydney overnight, but unless there's a way to cock up the install yet everything still works perfectly as it should, then the money I forked out for the valve body was a bit of a waste ... only on for a minute and I'll give greater detail at a later dater, but quite frankly, still runs just as hot, still flares between first and second, still slips in high gears under load from the turbo (overtaking, uphill etc), and worst of all, torque converter now not locking up at all (I didn't install the manual switch - which is optional for towing only by the way), and because of this, I have worn about 29 litres per hundred on the open road on LPG on the trip down as it only dropped into overdrive - had to stop 4 times to refill on a 940klm trip ... painful!!

Very disappointed - hopefully I've done something wrong (which is sort of hard to do and still have it running I guess) so I'm yet to be blown away - right now I'm scratching my head and cursing $1000 not well spent.

Not good Bigus....... I'll read more as you post it but for now go get some shut eye brother.

growler2058
22nd December 2011, 10:42 AM

Ouch!!!!!!

Clunk
22nd December 2011, 10:45 AM

hmmmm not good Biggus

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 12:31 PM
Not good Bigus....... I'll read more as you post it but for now go get some shut eye brother.

Thanks fella - still going!! Getting delirious now as I've hoovered half a bottle of scotch straight so far!! lmao. I'll discuss it with you as I know you are across these sorts of things, but truly down heartened by the process ... has not lived up to the hype one bit ...

AGAIN!! I'll disclaim ... Maybe not setup right. But installed as per the documents in the box, and to be honest, can't really go wrong - remove bolts and harnesses, replace valve body and install bolts and harnesses ...

That said, I'll call Rodney tomorrow from Wholesale Automatics to discuss, but would need to be significant change to impress me ...

Damn it. Don't like throwing away my hard earned quite frankly!

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 12:32 PM
Ouch!!!!!!

Indeed fella ... very OUCH!!!!!

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 12:36 PM
hmmmm not good Biggus

Thanks mate and too true ... they absolutely reassured me THIS was the problem, and to be honest, it probably solves 99% of problems, but mine is a bucket of sh!t ... $1000 to end up with the same problems as detailed before the swap - and no chance of getting my money back (I'm not that naive).

Seriously p!ssed ...

Clunk
22nd December 2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks mate and too true ... they absolutely reassured me THIS was the problem, and to be honest, it probably solves 99% of problems, but mine is a bucket of sh!t ... $1000 to end up with the same problems as detailed before the swap - and no chance of getting my money back (I'm not that naive).

Seriously p!ssed ...

and not because of the bottle og scotch hey!!!!............ sorry mate, here's to hoping that it has something to do with the installation mate........ and no I'm not dissing your work, just also hate seeing the hard earned go to waste

AB
22nd December 2011, 03:16 PM
I work on the same street as these guys mate so just yell out if you need me to do anything.

Airstrike
22nd December 2011, 03:40 PM
That sucks dude. What about water injected head like mine?

water injection, also known as anti-detonant injection, is spraying water into the cylinder or incoming fuel-air mixture to cool the combustion chambers of the engine, allowing for greater compression ratios and largely eliminating the problem of engine knocking (detonation). This effectively increases the octane rating of the fuel, meaning that performance gains can be obtained when used in conjunction with a supercharger, turbocharger, altered spark ignition timing, and other modifications. Increasing the octane rating allows for a higher compression ratio which increases the power output and efficiency of the engine. Depending on the engine, improvements in power and fuel efficiency can also be obtained solely by injecting water. Water injection may also be used to reduce NOx or carbon monoxide emissions

NissanGQ4.2
22nd December 2011, 04:24 PM
Sonunds like Scotty needs 2 come 2 my place for a drinkieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

That's s!cks mate. I'll see my old man 2morrow and ask him about his, I think he went stage 2 valve body from wholesale, and hasn't had any drama's

You weren't drinking while putting the new one in where you??????????? *LMAO*

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 05:22 PM
and not because of the bottle og scotch hey!!!!............ sorry mate, here's to hoping that it has something to do with the installation mate........ and no I'm not dissing your work, just also hate seeing the hard earned go to waste

No disrespect taken at all champion - I agree with you, hope it's something simple - don't mind pulling it off again, but it's sort of a pretty straight forward swap over?

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 05:23 PM
I work on the same street as these guys mate so just yell out if you need me to do anything.

Thanks boss - as said, I'll chat with Rodney tomorrow and see how I go ... Put in a Crane Cams high performance coil at the same time, but can't see how that would have anything to do with the torque converter issue - the old coil died, new coil in?? Am I missing something?? Does it affect the TPS and/or TCU and I've stuffed up/not adjusted something?

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 05:27 PM
That sucks dude. What about water injected head like mine?

water injection, also known as anti-detonant injection, is spraying water into the cylinder or incoming fuel-air mixture to cool the combustion chambers of the engine, allowing for greater compression ratios and largely eliminating the problem of engine knocking (detonation). This effectively increases the octane rating of the fuel, meaning that performance gains can be obtained when used in conjunction with a supercharger, turbocharger, altered spark ignition timing, and other modifications. Increasing the octane rating allows for a higher compression ratio which increases the power output and efficiency of the engine. Depending on the engine, improvements in power and fuel efficiency can also be obtained solely by injecting water. Water injection may also be used to reduce NOx or carbon monoxide emissions

Looked at water/methanol injection when we intercooled it - not sure that would sort the gearbox problem though boss ... probably exacerbate it!!

Airstrike
22nd December 2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah The box issue sucks I was thinking about the heating side. But as its been said the box might sort the heat

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 05:30 PM
Sonunds like Scotty needs 2 come 2 my place for a drinkieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

That's s!cks mate. I'll see my old man 2morrow and ask him about his, I think he went stage 2 valve body from wholesale, and hasn't had any drama's

You weren't drinking while putting the new one in where you??????????? *LMAO*

Haha - not drinking on the job boss!!! I went stage 2 heavy duty body as well ...

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah The box issue sucks I was thinking about the heating side. But as its been said the box might sort the heat

It's the box itself running hot as mate - not the engine. And that's with twin oil coolers on the radiator and the standard oil cooler also!!! I'm lost!! lol

Sir Roofy
22nd December 2011, 05:54 PM
It's the box itself running hot as mate - not the engine. And that's with twin oil coolers on the radiator and the standard oil cooler also!!! I'm lost!! lol

im guessing you have got the right oil in the box mate that will cause it to
over heat if not you need a bigger cooler ?or the fans not working as your driving along

Silver
22nd December 2011, 06:27 PM
I hate it when having dutifully followed the instructions, the #@$#@#$# thing does not work.

I believe I'll have a drink on your behalf and hope it reduces your frustration!

NissanGQ4.2
22nd December 2011, 07:08 PM
No disrespect taken at all champion - I agree with you, hope it's something simple - don't mind pulling it off again, but it's sort of a pretty straight forward swap over?

yes straight forward swap over, I would take it back off and check for broken wires and also check the plugs have gone back in nicely

Maxhead
22nd December 2011, 07:27 PM
What a pain in the arse Scotty...give it another go, pull it off and have a look and refit, see how it goes...

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 07:28 PM
im guessing you have got the right oil in the box mate that will cause it to
over heat if not you need a bigger cooler ?or the fans not working as your driving along

Yeah mate - MaxLife full synthetic ...

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 07:29 PM
I hate it when having dutifully followed the instructions, the #@$#@#$# thing does not work.

I believe I'll have a drink on your behalf and hope it reduces your frustration!

I feel better already!! lmao

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 07:32 PM
yes straight forward swap over, I would take it back off and check for broken wires and also check the plugs have gone back in nicely

Checked all that on the way in - fit very neatly, all wiring connected (can't really go wrong there), new heavy duty spring installed in place of old one, etc, etc ...

Frustrating ...

Bigrig
22nd December 2011, 07:33 PM
What a pain in the arse Scotty...give it another go, pull it off and have a look and refit, see how it goes...

Have to wait till I get back now fella - just hope it holds out .. worried I'm burning out the box itself ...

NissanGQ4.2
22nd December 2011, 07:38 PM
Scotty, from what I've been told fitting a stage 2 valve body will slightly decrease the oil temp, but you would probable not even notice the difference on a gauge.

From the sound of it your heat issues have been an issue for a while, can u confirm this, also has it been like that since you have had the car / fitted the gauge?

What is the temp anyway?

Stage 2 does make gear changes between 1st and 2nd quicker and stops flares etc so not a waste of money, definitely something wrong there mate, esp as the tc is not locking up anymore

Maxhead
22nd December 2011, 07:38 PM
Have to wait till I get back now fella - just hope it holds out .. worried I'm burning out the box itself ...

Hmmm, not good!...Hope it all goes well

Bigrig
23rd December 2011, 07:04 AM
Scotty, from what I've been told fitting a stage 2 valve body will slightly decrease the oil temp, but you would probable not even notice the difference on a gauge.

From the sound of it your heat issues have been an issue for a while, can u confirm this, also has it been like that since you have had the car / fitted the gauge?

What is the temp anyway?

Stage 2 does make gear changes between 1st and 2nd quicker and stops flares etc so not a waste of money, definitely something wrong there mate, esp as the tc is not locking up anymore

Thanks mate - been getting bloody hot since the turbo went in - even wrapped the oil lines in heat shielding where they go past the dump pipe. The only change that occurred at the same time was the new coil an module on the dizzy?? Can't see how this would have anything to do with it ALTHOUGH the tacho is now all over the shop - thought the tacho runs straight from the box, so unless it sends some sort of signal to the TCU and because it's thinking it's over revving its not locking up the converter then I'm stumped ...

My plan was to play around with the TPS and see if that makes a difference? I can live with the problems as they were the same as before (want it fixed or money back of course though), but the TC not locking up has me concerned ...

growler2058
23rd December 2011, 08:29 AM
I thought tachometer rpm's came from the coil or number 1 lead?? I have been known to e wrong on the rare occasion :-)

Bigrig
23rd December 2011, 09:13 AM
I thought tachometer rpm's came from the coil or number 1 lead?? I have been known to e wrong on the rare occasion :-)

Tell me more, tell me more!!!

patch697
23rd December 2011, 09:23 AM

That will really depend on he's setup as to what place the taco is hooked up.

On most it runs off the coil but in the case of a coil booster Or amplifier the signal is often picked up elsewhere.

patch697
23rd December 2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks mate - been getting bloody hot since the turbo went in - even wrapped the oil lines in heat shielding where they go past the dump pipe. The only change that occurred at the same time was the new coil an module on the dizzy?? Can't see how this would have anything to do with it ALTHOUGH the tacho is now all over the shop - thought the tacho runs straight from the box, so unless it sends some sort of signal to the TCU and because it's thinking it's over revving its not locking up the converter then I'm stumped ...

My plan was to play around with the TPS and see if that makes a difference? I can live with the problems as they were the same as before (want it fixed or money back of course though), but the TC not locking up has me concerned ...

Hmmmmm........ Im not so sure the auto's the problem.

growler2058
23rd December 2011, 09:35 AM
Tell me more, tell me more!!!

Well I've always thought spark is what sends rpm's to the dial ie when I used to work on small motors chainsaws ets we'd clip a tachometer to the plug cap to tune to correct revs. Only the speedo should run off your trans

Bigrig
23rd December 2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks lads - spoke to Rodney and for the two issues they are separate - firstly, he reckons the auto box has an issue if the valve body isn't doing hat its supposed to: most likely needs band adjustment etc.

Secondly, he said the tacho absolutely feeds the TCU with information and for it to be all over the place the new coil is "causing too much interference/feedback through the wiring 'somehow'" and subsequently it's not letting the TC lockup ..

So my choice is leave it till I get back (doesn't see that not having the TC will cause any issue other than fuel consumption), or get a coil from an EB/ED V8 falcon (same plug as the Crane Cam coil I have) and try it.

And here I was thinking I'd have a very merry Xmas not having to work on Tank!!!! lmao - that's 2 years in a row if you all cast your minds back!! Thermostat sensor last year, this problem this year!!! How's my luck??!! lol

Airstrike
23rd December 2011, 02:10 PM
A EB/ED V8?? Off to smithfield you go

NissanGQ4.2
23rd December 2011, 02:29 PM
Forget your problems Scotty....................my place..........it's now bourbon o'clock and will be untill the 9th of Jan, Merry Jolly Drunkin Christmas :):):)

I will drop into that other other thread of yours, haven't been there in a while

Auto probs...... I can direct you 2 a thread I know of on this forum *L*

I would be sourcing the EB/ED V8 falcon coil while in Sydney and seeing how that goes, stuff driving all the way back up without the TC locking up.

Your heat issues and flaring could be numerous things..........Will talk 2 you about it when you remember 2 ring me 2day!

Gotta go, glass is half full and needs a fill up :):):)

NissanGQ4.2
2nd January 2012, 08:59 PM
Hey mate, hows TANK going, still locking up ok?

Bigrig
2nd January 2012, 09:25 PM
Hey mate, hows TANK going, still locking up ok?

Nah mate - made it to Melbourne though!! TPS is dead as a door nail ... tested that this arvo ... could be 90% of the problem ... maybe!!! lmao

NissanGQ4.2
2nd January 2012, 09:51 PM
Nah mate - made it to Melbourne though!! TPS is dead as a door nail ... tested that this arvo ... could be 90% of the problem ... maybe!!! lmao

hahaha, Told you it was my beer drinking that made the TC lock up *L*, hope you get it sorted while your there

growler2058
2nd January 2012, 09:56 PM
Now at risk of sounding stupider wtf is this lock up yas all are talking about is there a simple way to explain????

NissanGQ4.2
2nd January 2012, 10:04 PM
Now at risk of sounding stupider wtf is this lock up yas all are talking about is there a simple way to explain????

is this simple enough: its a thingo on the thingomajig *LMAO*

the not so simple explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter

growler2058
2nd January 2012, 10:09 PM
Wow I'm too pi55ed to comprehend that?!?! Hahahahahahah.........so Scotty is your trans fu45ed?

NissanGQ4.2
4th January 2012, 06:16 PM
Wow I'm too pi55ed to comprehend that?!?! Hahahahahahah.........so Scotty is your trans fu45ed?

Probable not, but might be by the time he get back home, I've seen how he drives *L*

Bigrig
4th January 2012, 07:12 PM
Probable not, but might be by the time he get back home, I've seen how he drives *L*

Yep - its stuffed too I reckon - has a distinct whine by the time I got back ... I just have to grin and bear it I'm afraid ..

And to think - I treat him so lovingly!!! lmao!!!

NissanGQ4.2
6th January 2012, 07:20 PM
Do you reckon we could fit this 383 Chev motor into Tank

Thought the cover suited TANK

Only going for 10g on fleabay

Bigrig
8th January 2012, 01:32 PM
Do you reckon we could fit this 383 Chev motor into Tank

Thought the cover suited TANK

Only going for 10g on fleabay

Ummmm .... maybe??? lmao

Bigrig
8th January 2012, 01:42 PM
Well, just punched out nearly 4000klms with a range of issues, and he still got the family home safe and sound ... as per Patch, I've got to tip my hat to Tank for not letting go on me!! Bless him!!

Sooooo ... as of Wednesday he's in for some serious love and attention - LPG coming out, 148 litre long range petrol tank going in, high flow injectors, new fuel pump and sender, the original throttle body, TPS and distributor, along with a new Wolf ECU to control everything. New cylinder heads going in also to decompress the engine a little for petrol, and a full touch up whilst the engine is open ...

Auto box coming out for an overhaul, including possible new torque converter if needed, band adjusting etc etc. Getting new flexi oil lines put in from the tranny oil cooler to get them away from the turbo and dump pipe, as well as new power steering lines and cooler.

Annnnnd (but wait, there's more!!! lol) - Rodney is going to give it a going over to test all the electrics and get those bugs sorted also - this is going to include ripping out ALL old and unnecessary wiring and cleaning things up in general ...

Hopefully things will be back to fairly standard (ignition etc at least) and then to throw it on the dyno for a final tweak and tune ...

It's the least I can do - yep, it's more money, but I love this truck and quite frankly, through a myriad of issues (which the Vic boys saw first hand) it never let me down in times of most need ... no more band aid fixes and touch ups to keep things moving - time to sort it once and for all.

Fingers firmly crossed!!!!

Ben-e-boy
8th January 2012, 02:10 PM
Well, just punched out nearly 4000klms with a range of issues, and he still got the family home safe and sound ... as per Patch, I've got to tip my hat to Tank for not letting go on me!! Bless him!!

Sooooo ... as of Wednesday he's in for some serious love and attention - LPG coming out, 148 litre long range petrol tank going in, high flow injectors, new fuel pump and sender, the original throttle body, TPS and distributor, along with a new Wolf ECU to control everything. New cylinder heads going in also to decompress the engine a little for petrol, and a full touch up whilst the engine is open ...

Auto box coming out for an overhaul, including possible new torque converter if needed, band adjusting etc etc. Getting new flexi oil lines put in from the tranny oil cooler to get them away from the turbo and dump pipe, as well as new power steering lines and cooler.

Annnnnd (but wait, there's more!!! lol) - Rodney is going to give it a going over to test all the electrics and get those bugs sorted also - this is going to include ripping out ALL old and unnecessary wiring and cleaning things up in general ...

Hopefully things will be back to fairly standard (ignition etc at least) and then to throw it on the dyno for a final tweak and tune ...

It's the least I can do - yep, it's more money, but I love this truck and quite frankly, through a myriad of issues (which the Vic boys saw first hand) it never let me down in times of most need ... no more band aid fixes and touch ups to keep things moving - time to sort it once and for all.

Fingers firmly crossed!!!!

is the auto up for the job??? or world money be better spent on a turbo 400 or something????????

growler2058
8th January 2012, 02:27 PM
Bring it on I say lookin forward to the final dyno figures

Sir Roofy
8th January 2012, 02:34 PM

x2 good luck tank hope it goes well for ya

Bigrig
8th January 2012, 02:35 PM
is the auto up for the job??? or world money be better spent on a turbo 400 or something????????

The auto is up to the task mate - just been hammered as of late due to other issues - it might be perfectly fine truth be told, but I'm having it fully checked out anyway ...

Bigrig
8th January 2012, 02:35 PM

Me too fella ... should be interesting ...

Bigrig
8th January 2012, 02:37 PM
x2 good luck tank hope it goes well for ya

Thanks champion - he'll be right ... and just in time for replacement diff centres (4.325:1) and 35"s!!!! lol

Ben-e-boy
8th January 2012, 02:43 PM
The auto is up to the task mate - just been hammered as of late due to other issues - it might be perfectly fine truth be told, but I'm having it fully checked out anyway ...

oh ok, I dont know what knid of power a patrol auto can handle....your probably right about it being ok it has just done 4000 kms. if there was something really wrong it would of sh!t itself by now?

Bigrig
8th January 2012, 03:10 PM
oh ok, I dont know what knid of power a patrol auto can handle....your probably right about it being ok it has just done 4000 kms. if there was something really wrong it would of sh!t itself by now?

Too true mate ... the box's are apparently up to the task, an to go one step further I've just put that heavy duty valve body on it ...

Bigrig
9th January 2012, 02:59 PM
Well, Tank goes into the shop tomorrow ... Petrol Tank (148 litre), Injectors (660cc), Fuel Pump (Wallbro High Performance) and Sender, Wolf V500 ECU and GQ Loom all ordered and on their way ... pretty extensive, but outside the engine and mods that have been happening, it has had no real TLC - wiring, plugs, pipes etc etc have all been upset through the engine conversion so no doubt a few gremlins in there, not to mention none of the seals, bearings etc have ever actually been replaced ...

Here's to hoping!!!

1. LPG System Removal
a. All lines, wiring, computer, etc. also
2. Petrol Install
a. 148 Litre Brown Davis Tank
b. Pump (Wallbro High Performance)
c. Original Sender
d. Fuel Gauge Functioning including low fuel light
e. Injectors (660cc High Performance)
f. Original Throttle Body
g. Original TPS
h. Original Distributor
i. Check Coil and replace if necessary with original
3. Decompress Engine
4. ECU Installation and connection
a. Wolf V500
b. Wiring Loom
5. Band Adjustment on Auto Gear Box
6. View and Inspect Torque Converter
a. Test TC Lock up solenoid
7. Wheel Bearings
a. Front
b. Rear
8. Oil Seals
a. Front Axle
b. Rear Axle
9. Transfer Case
a. Rear Oil Seal
10. Handbrake
a. Shoes
b. Adjustment
11. Power Steering
a. Leak on Low Pressure Line before banjo fitting on top of box
12. Oils
a. Engine
b. Transfer Case
c. Automatic Transmission
d. Front Diff
e. Rear Diff
13. Radiator
a. New Cap
b. Overflow draw back to radiator?
c. Full Radiator and engine flush?
14. Electrics (Definite Issues)
a. Check for Earth leakage/s
b. Check all individual fuses/relays and looms
15. Air Conditioning
a. Pirtek line covers to heat shield
16. Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Lines
a. New Flexi lines to avoid turbo and dump pipe (reduce heat transferrance)
b. Flush cooler for blockages
17. Electric Window “Cog” for Front Passenger Door
18. Dyno Tuning to complete

Sir Roofy
9th January 2012, 03:07 PM
thats a big operation tank my god boy i hope you pull through all of this
with flying colours and do scotty proud

good luck mate

growler2058
9th January 2012, 03:17 PM
Bloody hell that's a list. At least with a big fuel tank you'll get to the closest servo hahahahahahahahaha

Bigrig
9th January 2012, 03:17 PM
thats a big operation tank my god boy i hope you pull through all of this
with flying colours and do scotty proud

good luck mate

Yep - it does look a big list, but truth be told, the engine decompression will be the longest bit - the rest should only take 2-3 days (but I'll be helping, so more like 4-5 days!!! LMAO!!!).

Sir Roofy
11th January 2012, 08:42 PM
Yep - it does look a big list, but truth be told, the engine decompression will be the longest bit - the rest should only take 2-3 days (but I'll be helping, so more like 4-5 days!!! LMAO!!!).

good luck tank see you when you return

NissanGQ4.2
11th January 2012, 09:22 PM
what do u mean shop???, u could do all that urself

MudDonk
11th January 2012, 10:01 PM
good luck bloke hope all goes well...cant wait to see that dyno...might even surprise yaself i reckon ;)

Bigrig
11th January 2012, 11:21 PM
what do u mean shop???, u could do all that urself

Are you smoking something?? lol

kidding right?? Hope so!!! Would take me a month full time fella, and even then, the job would be half average at best!!! lmao

Bigrig
11th January 2012, 11:21 PM
good luck bloke hope all goes well...cant wait to see that dyno...might even surprise yaself i reckon ;)

Hope so mate!!! Thanks

Dark 1
11th January 2012, 11:28 PM
Good luck Scotty here's to making Tank a load tuffer.

Bigrig
11th January 2012, 11:33 PM
Good luck Scotty here's to making Tank a load tuffer.

Thanks fella!!! Good to have you back by the way!!

Bigrig
13th January 2012, 03:54 PM
Righto - manifold and all pipe work is off, head goes off to get machined on Monday (for the decompression), and the dump pipe and return intake from intercooler pipe go on Monday also to get ceramic coated. Petrol tank, pump and injectors have arrived (injectors fit the fuel rail and the ports on the manifold!!! Yay!!!) and the gas has started coming out. ECU arrives Monday also, so it's all systems go!

Decided to get a new wiring loom for the injectors also - the old one is pretty fragile ... may as well whilst it's out ...

Fingers crossed!!!

growler2058
13th January 2012, 04:09 PM
Mate i think im more excited than you!!!! hahahahhahahahahaha maybe not but bloody close

Sir Roofy
13th January 2012, 05:07 PM
its on at last, make sure you number every thing,dont leave any thing out
whoa im excited also

Bigrig
13th January 2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks lads!!

Haha - yeah Roofy, I'll be watching with a close eye mate!!! Already missing the old throttle body!!! lmao - neither of us know where it's gone so chasing one from a wrecker at the moment ...

Annnnd he's getting the ceramic coating in blue to match the rest of the setup!!! I'm such a w@nker!!! lmfao!!!!

growler2058
13th January 2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks lads!!

I'm such a w@nker!!! lmfao!!!!

x2hahahahahahahahaha

Clunk
13th January 2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks lads!!

I'm such a w@nker!!! lmfao!!!!

oh I wouldn't have gone that far mate!!!!!! hahahaha

Sir Roofy
13th January 2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks lads!!

Haha - yeah Roofy, I'll be watching with a close eye mate!!! Already missing the old throttle body!!! lmao - neither of us know where it's gone so chasing one from a wrecker at the moment ...

Annnnd he's getting the ceramic coating in blue to match the rest of the setup!!! I'm such a w@nker!!! lmfao!!!!

well i have to admit i liked the blue grill just stood out

patch697
13th January 2012, 06:45 PM
There will be songs written about this Rig one day & it'll go something like this....

Tank had so much power & was going so fast he cracked warp 9 which is faster than a dag thats been shot in the arse...........

(No pun here Doggy, we wouldn't go shooting at you like that old mate)...............lol

I know, I missed my true calling ay.............hahahahahahahaha

Bigrig
13th January 2012, 07:04 PM
There will be songs written about this Rig one day & it'll go something like this....

Tank had so much power & was going so fast he cracked warp 9 which is faster than a dag thats been shot in the arse...........

(No pun here Doggy, we wouldn't go shooting at you like that old mate)...............lol

I know, I missed my true calling ay.............hahahahahahahaha

Hahaha ... isn't a dag a lump of turd hanging from a sheeps butt?? lmao

patch697
13th January 2012, 07:16 PM
Hahaha ... isn't a dag a lump of turd hanging from a sheeps butt?? lmao

Hay..... You be nice to Tank, he may just surprise the hell out of ya.

Remember old mate, doing mok 5 with your hair on fire in a fast car & living to tell the tail is considered hooning!!!

Doing mok 5 with your hair on fire in a Nissan Patrol with a 5" lift, no sway bars & living to tell the tail???...... Now thats legendary!!!

Given what Tanks got going on & if there was a question in there somewhere?? Im tipping It'll be answered very soon..................lol

Robo
20th January 2012, 11:22 AM
BIG BLUE TANK.

Firstly, thanks for the ongoing effort in keeping this thread going.
As big a task as the build.
And thanks to your mates for their efforts also.
Truly Australian.

What's the go on the dyno after all that?.
Would you mind making a comprehensive list please of.
Work preformed and parts to summarise this build.
I know I should be writing more here but,
my eyes are still spinning after reading this thread, LOL .

Cheers fellers.
Robo

Bigrig
23rd January 2012, 03:49 PM
BIG BLUE TANK.

Firstly, thanks for the ongoing effort in keeping this thread going.
As big a task as the build.
And thanks to your mates for their efforts also.
Truly Australian.

What's the go on the dyno after all that?.
Would you mind making a comprehensive list please of.
Work preformed and parts to summarise this build.
I know I should be writing more here but,
my eyes are still spinning after reading this thread, LOL .

Cheers fellers.
Robo

Sorry mate - completely missed this. I'll bang up a full summary once I get it back from the Dino so I have the full story ...

Bigrig
25th January 2012, 09:26 PM
Update so far ... what a mammoth effort!!

1. LPG System Removal - complete
a. All lines, wiring, computer, etc. also - complete
2. Petrol Install - complete
a. 148 Litre Brown Davis Tank - complete
b. Pump (Wallbro High Performance) - complete
c. Original Sender - complete
d. Fuel Gauge Functioning including low fuel light - complete
e. Injectors (660cc High Performance) - complete
f. Original Throttle Body - complete
g. Original TPS - complete
h. Original Distributor - complete
i. Check Coil and replace if necessary with original - complete
3. Decompress Engine - complete (including machining of exhaust manifold)
4. ECU Installation and connection - complete
a. Wolf V500 - complete
b. Wiring Loom - complete
5. Band Adjustment on Auto Gear Box - complete
6. View and Inspect Torque Converter - complete
a. Test TC Lock up solenoid - complete
7. Wheel Bearings - complete
a. Front - complete
b. Rear (not being done)
8. Oil Seals - complete
a. Front Axle - complete
b. Rear Axle - complete
9. Transfer Case - complete
a. Rear Oil Seal - complete
10. Handbrake - complete
a. Shoes - complete
b. Adjustment - complete
11. Power Steering - complete
a. Leak on Low Pressure Line before banjo fitting on top of box - complete
12. Oils
a. Engine
b. Transfer Case - complete
c. Automatic Transmission - complete
d. Front Diff
e. Rear Diff
13. Radiator - complete
a. New Cap - complete
b. Overflow draw back to radiator? - complete
c. Full Radiator and engine flush? - complete
14. Electrics (Definite Issues) - complete to a degree ... still some items for inspection, but Rodney is going to help me with that when it comes back (thanks again Rod!!!)
a. Check for Earth leakage/s - complete
b. Check all individual fuses/relays and looms
15. Air Conditioning - complete
a. Pirtek line covers to heat shield - complete
16. Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Lines - complete
a. New Flexi lines to avoid turbo and dump pipe (reduce heat transferrance) - complete
b. Flush cooler for blockages - complete
17. Electric Window “Cog” for Front Passenger Door
18. Dyno Tuning to complete

Awaiting the return of the ceramic coated dump pipe and intercooler outlet pipe (should be Friday). New gauge for transmission temp is in also as is the switch for the manual torque converter lockup.

Planned to hit the dyno on Tuesday next week all going to plan ... bring on the berries!!!!

It's nearly there ... but I'm so over this process its not even funny ...

NissanGQ4.2
25th January 2012, 09:32 PM
So gearbox was all a.o.k ????

Did you get a new ECU????

Any pics during all of that?

robbo0001
25th January 2012, 09:36 PM
Thats an awesome list of mods.....and a monster thread!
10 thumbs up for a top effort.....looking forward to seeing The Tank on the road (or a dyno vid, roaring its guts out. Or a hillclimb...or a......)

Dont give up mate,as you said...."nearly there":bigthumbup:

Auto Electrical....always a pain in the ar$E on older cars:devilred:

Great work, and something to be proud of....
\
cheers

Bigrig
25th January 2012, 09:38 PM
So gearbox was all a.o.k ????

Did you get a new ECU????

Any pics during all of that?

Gearbox seems fine - proof will be in the pudding when it kicks over on Saturday. Fingers firmly crossed mate!!

New ECU went in - Wolf V500 ...

Heaps of pics and will get them up in the coming days ...

Bigrig
25th January 2012, 09:40 PM
Thats an awesome list of mods.....and a monster thread!
10 thumbs up for a top effort.....looking forward to seeing The Tank on the road (or a dyno vid, roaring its guts out. Or a hillclimb...or a......)

Dont give up mate,as you said...."nearly there":bigthumbup:

Auto Electrical....always a pain in the ar$E on older cars:devilred:

Great work, and something to be proud of....
\
cheers

Thanks a million on all counts fella!! Yep, it's been an epic journey and hopefully one that will wash away into distant memory when it roars to life and throws out enough berries to make a rice burner blush!!! lmao

NissanGQ4.2
25th January 2012, 09:48 PM
Gearbox seems fine - proof will be in the pudding when it kicks over on Saturday. Fingers firmly crossed mate!!

New ECU went in - Wolf V500 ...

Heaps of pics and will get them up in the coming days ...

I'm an idiot, I was thinking TCU for some reason not ECU, I knew you were replacing the ECU with the Wolf. Think its time for a nap.

So now that all of Tank has been replaced, what parts do you still have up 4 sale ???

Good luck with the gearbox mate, I'm sure it will be purring like a kitten

Bigrig
25th January 2012, 09:55 PM
I'm an idiot, I was thinking TCU for some reason not ECU, I knew you were replacing the ECU with the Wolf. Think its time for a nap.

So now that all of Tank has been replaced, what parts do you still have up 4 sale ???

Good luck with the gearbox mate, I'm sure it will be purring like a kitten

Thanks mate. TCU is still in place, but the Wolf takes over a 'few' tasks it previously controlled ...

As said, fingers (and everything else I have two of! lol) firmly crossed.

Steve cooper
25th January 2012, 11:12 PM
Goddam, I just read this entire thread and it took 2 hours, 4 beers and wifie goin "what are u reading that's so amusing" every time I laughed!!!

Best build up thread I have ever read mate, u have done a fantastic job on this truck I can totally relate to how fond us blokes can get about our trucks, the amount of effort u have put in is awesome, looks to be on the home straight now too I'll be watching for further updates.

Steve

mattyh
27th January 2012, 03:28 PM
Very clean rig mate how long you had it for?

Bigrig
27th January 2012, 04:33 PM
Very clean rig mate how long you had it for?

June 17th 2010 was the day we started the relationship!!! lmao

It's been over 18 months in the making (very different rig to the one I purchased for $7500) and hopefully, just maybe ... I might actually get to drive it in the coming days after another 3 week stint off the road!! lol ...

growler2058
27th January 2012, 04:39 PM
June 17th 2010 was the day we started the relationship!!! lmao

It's been over 18 months in the making (very different rig to the one I purchased for $7500) and hopefully, just maybe ... I might actually get to drive it in the coming days after another 3 week stint off the road!! lol ...

Thought the idea was to keep em off road as much as possible :-)

Bigrig
27th January 2012, 04:48 PM
Thought the idea was to keep em off road as much as possible :-)

Bwah hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa ....

Not ........

lmao!!!

My good sense of humour is fast diminishing ...

Sir Roofy
27th January 2012, 05:37 PM
Glad to hear tank is almost done
bet he,s got itchy rubber now wanting to hit
the tracks again

Bigrig
30th January 2012, 07:46 PM
Well ... as fate would have it, the ECU (new Wolf one) is a bit dodgy so it's being shipped back to Melbourne tomorrow for repair (crank angle sensor pinouts wrong, no injection pulse, no spark ...). Soooooo, there goes another week with no progress ... that said, it is what it is and fingers crossed that something will go right from here.

A few piccies in the interim, there's heaps so won't bore you anymore than I have to with them!!! The new ceramic coating on the pipes is very blingy indeed!! lol - until they get covered in crud when I get my hands back on the wheel !!!

Not sure the CV grease is meant to look like that!!! Those inner oil seals are a pain in the proverbial to change by the way!!

Took the opportunity to give the swivel hub bearings, etc, etc a tickle up whilst it was apart ... amazingly, I had no parts left over!!! lmao

The new bling!!!

You can just see the dump pipe at the back of the engine with its new coat of 'shine' also.

Never ask me to get to your sender cover in the rear - this is what will happen (yep, the carpet is cut!!! lol)

Sir Roofy
30th January 2012, 07:58 PM
looks the goods now

YNOT
30th January 2012, 08:09 PM
One step forward two steps back!
How many K's were on Tanks clock when you got it?

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
30th January 2012, 08:40 PM
Its a Nissan nothing ever goes right *LMAO*

Bigrig
30th January 2012, 08:59 PM
One step forward two steps back!
How many K's were on Tanks clock when you got it?

Tony

292,000 now ...

I can handle the occasional backward steps, but this seems like its stuck in reverse!!

Bigrig
30th January 2012, 09:00 PM
Its a Nissan nothing ever goes right *LMAO*

Not wrong there mate ...

Dark 1
30th January 2012, 10:03 PM
Keep persivering with Tank ole mate, He's gonna be one hell of a weapon.

Bigrig
30th January 2012, 10:12 PM
Keep persivering with Tank ole mate, He's gonna be one hell of a weapon.

Thanks mate - its all I can do at this point!!

Dark 1
30th January 2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks mate - its all I can do at this point!!

Hey least you still own it, my time is limited.

Bigrig
31st January 2012, 05:29 PM
Yay!!! My 12,000lb Mako winch arrived today!!!! Well, arrived last week, but I got my dirty little hands on it today ... big thanks to Murray and Dave from Torq4x4 for their (yet again) unbelievable assistance.

Now, just need to to get that motor running so I can install and use it!!! lmao

Can't wait to have it fitted!!!

convict_au
31st January 2012, 05:33 PM
very nice mate. I bet she goes great

Bigrig
31st January 2012, 05:36 PM
very nice mate. I bet she goes great

Hahaha - doesn't go at all at the moment mate ... but one day, one day .... lol

Yendor
31st January 2012, 06:39 PM
Yay!!! My 12,000lb Mako winch arrived today!!!! Well, arrived last week, but I got my dirty little hands on it today ... big thanks to Murray and Dave from Torq4x4 for their (yet again) unbelievable assistance.

Now, just need to to get that motor running so I can install and use it!!! lmao

Can't wait to have it fitted!!!

Nice......at least Tank will have 6hp.... ahahahahahaaaa

Sorry that was a bit low.......but funny. :smile:

Hang in there Tank will be on the road before you know it.

Bigrig
31st January 2012, 06:49 PM
Nice......at least Tank will have 6hp.... ahahahahahaaaa

Sorry that was a bit low.......but funny. :smile:

Hang in there Tank will be on the road before you know it.

Hahahahaaaa ... Funny boy!!!! lmao

Not exactly the horsepower I was thinking, but better than nothing at the moment!!! lol

Bigrig
1st February 2012, 03:40 PM
Well, the unit had a manufacturing fault (unconnected wire) and is on its way back to me!!!

All I can say through this affair is that Robbie from Wolf in Melbourne has been a dead set star. Not once has he avoided my constant nagging calls, was straight up in telling me about the fault (imagine how many other places would say nothing in some vain attempt to remove their responsibility?), and he's been true to his word in getting it sorted today and shipped back to me. Service, service, service ... it makes ALL the difference.

Sooooo ... fingers crossed that it's a plug in and start tomorrow afternoon ...

Will keep you posted!!

growler2058
1st February 2012, 03:47 PM
Hope so mate its been a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait for the dyno results :-)

Bigrig
1st February 2012, 04:17 PM
Hope so mate its been a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait for the dyno results :-)

I'll be happy just to see it come to life again!!! lol

Dyno won't be till next week now ... at best!

growler2058
1st February 2012, 04:21 PM
I'll be happy just to see it come to life again!!! lol

Dyno won't be till next week now ... at best!

:smileyvault-cute-bi AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

Bigrig
2nd February 2012, 08:46 PM
Yep ... it's running

http://youtu.be/-kvkb1gpCDE

http://youtu.be/d5EdTvTZQCg

but not well, and the ECU has definite issues ... proved a bit this afternoon though, and they have 2 new boards coming up tomorrow on same day service ...

To say I'm despondant (and completely over it) is an understatement. I'm seriously lacking faith in the resolution of putting in a new PDL (attachment to the ECU) will have, but it's all we've got at this point - even Wolf acknowledge a failure in the product and have bent over to assist, but unfortunately to this point, that leaves me about $1000 out of pocket for various parts and labour attributed with the trial process thus far ..

To make matters worse, I went to install the winch today also (thinking that at least would take my mind off things) and it goes nowhere even close to fitting in the mounts on the bullbar due to the overhang now from the intercooler pipes in the front ... that said, Buddy from Buds Customs is going to build me a new one!!!! I've sold my bar to another member, and Bud is only charging me the original price (the money I get for my bar plus the balance to build a completely new/custom bar and get things right) - can't ask for much more than that ...

So essentially, everything's gone to sh!t, but at least suppliers are taking care of me as best they can ...

Will update more if I don't open the fuel tank and throw a lit zippo into it!!!! lmao

growler2058
2nd February 2012, 08:54 PM
Your Avatar says it all

growler2058
2nd February 2012, 08:57 PM
Looks nice n fancy nshiny in the second vid tho

Bigrig
2nd February 2012, 09:06 PM
Looks nice n fancy nshiny in the second vid tho

Could be staying that way for a bit too!!!! lol

Your Avatar says it all

He's not even close to p!ssed off enough!!! lmao

DX grunt
2nd February 2012, 09:20 PM
Cut your losses, stop wasting your time and money, part it out and buy a GU!

Oops, them's fighting words....... lolololol

Looking forward to the next mod.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Bigrig
2nd February 2012, 09:25 PM
Cut your losses, stop wasting your time and money, part it out and buy a GU!

Oops, them's fighting words....... lolololol

Looking forward to the next mod.

Take care out there.

Rossco

hahaha ... thanks mate!! Not going to happen just yet ... and the next mod? Crikey, this one is still a while from complete, and I think I'll have a 'mod' rest for a bit from there ...

taslucas
3rd February 2012, 12:15 PM
Stay positive big! I too have been in despair over my troll recently (it was off the road all xmas break and still not back on). I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I pick the old girl up on Monday.
Hang in there! By the looks of it you will have one solid beast when it's all over

Bigrig
3rd February 2012, 03:42 PM
Well, no same day service achieved on the parts coming from Melbourne. Monday it is for them ...

So, did a bit of work around the truck for little items - lowered the headlight beams (everyone is flashing me, so they must be sitting a bit high), topped up the fluids, put the rear drawer system back together, taped up the new petrol tank wiring (I was having to unplug it to stop the pump when it was flooding) and cable tied it up on the crossmember, fixed up the trailer plug wiring, took the spotties off ready for the front bar to be changed over, ran over just about every screw in the cabin to ensure everything was tight (like a tiger! lol), and a couple of odds and sods ... other than that, it sits idle for another weekend ...

I've been focussing so much on mods and mechanical, that when this is done, I'm going to spend a few weeks loving the interior - new door trims, new driver and passenger seats, etc and then replace the rusty rear sliding windows (finally) with the ones from Aussie Auto Molds, and go over all the electrics with Rodney when he gets the chance ... essentially trying to slowly replace/renew as much as possible and have it as an awesome off road competitor, but still comfortable and capable of racking up the miles touring ...

Thanks to everyone for your comments and support regarding the current balls up - greatly appreciated and yep, let myself get depressed by the whole affair (rather than my usual upbeat outlook) and in biting off more than I could chew, I obviously need to chew harder!!! lol ... spoonful of cement for Biggus Skirtus!!! lmao

I suppose I need to remember I bought the truck stock as a rock (no window tinting, no nothing!) only 18 months ago - I've been more than fortunate to be able to do what I have in that time (both, to the truck and using the truck) ... when everything is said and done, I'll post up an updated modifications list for everything done to date ... that shouldn't take too much time!!! lol

Oh, and quite against my normal efforts, when Tank comes home, he's getting the full wash and wax job - time for the lantana lines to go!!!

Airstrike
3rd February 2012, 03:48 PM
Sounds like the tank needs a hug after a few months in prison

Bigrig
3rd February 2012, 03:52 PM
Sounds like the tank needs a hug after a few months in prison

Hahaha .. yep, I'm sure he feels like he's spent a few nights in the 'big house' ...

You coming to the Forum Event in October?? Even for you old mate - that should be enough time to organise!!!! lmfao!!!

growler2058
3rd February 2012, 03:57 PM
Stay positive big! I too have been in despair over my troll recently (it was off the road all xmas break and still not back on). I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I pick the old girl up on Monday.
Hang in there! By the looks of it you will have one solid beast when it's all over

The light at the end of the tunnel is usually an oncoming train, so dont stand there and stare at it Lucas.............SPLAT hhahahahahahahaaha

Airstrike
3rd February 2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah should be ok by then :) I have had a lot of personal issues over the last 6 months just coming to the end of it. So I should be out and about more as time goes. i need a oliday and some R&R

Bigrig
3rd February 2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah should be ok by then :) I have had a lot of personal issues over the last 6 months just coming to the end of it. So I should be out and about more as time goes. i need a oliday and some R&R

Top stuff - you get yours sorted, I'll get mine sorted, and then we can go out and break em!!! lmao

Bigrig
3rd February 2012, 04:41 PM
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually an oncoming train, so dont stand there and stare at it Lucas.............SPLAT hhahahahahahahaaha

I was always told (I'm in sales remember) - "if you see the light at the end of the tunnel, it can mean only one thing ... time to buy more tunnel"!!! lol

Silver
3rd February 2012, 07:50 PM
G'day Scotty,

I'm ama2ed you've done so much with Tank in the time you've had him.

On top of that you have that full time career - beer quality assessor. And a real job on top. And a strong commitment to your family. And to us forumites.

You've set yourself a real challenge in your plans for Tank. It is disappointing that things aren't going to plan, and that the way forward is sometimes not clear. And in saying that I speak for myself, and Tank isn't even my Q :-) How much tougher is it for you as father of the project? Not to mention being confined to the blacktop all this time!!!

But what a MONSTER Tank will be when it all comes together!

Chin up.

Rick

Bigrig
4th February 2012, 12:03 AM
G'day Scotty,

I'm ama2ed you've done so much with Tank in the time you've had him.

On top of that you have that full time career - beer quality assessor. And a real job on top. And a strong commitment to your family. And to us forumites.

You've set yourself a real challenge in your plans for Tank. It is disappointing that things aren't going to plan, and that the way forward is sometimes not clear. And in saying that I speak for myself, and Tank isn't even my Q :-) How much tougher is it for you as father of the project? Not to mention being confined to the blacktop all this time!!!

But what a MONSTER Tank will be when it all comes together!

Chin up.

Rick

Thanks a million mate - yep, it's been a saga no doubt, but definitely getting there bit by tedious bit.

Bigrig
7th February 2012, 12:44 AM
Well, the light is definitely not a train coming the other way!!! Tank breathed to life today, and even got a small (interrupted though - I'll explain that in a second) run on the road up to the petrol station and back ... A few little adjustments to be made, and off to the dyno he goes!!!!! Relief is not strong enough a word to describe my feeling about it.

Sooooo ... apart from what got it started (I'll update that another time when I'm not ready to hit the hay), after 4 weeks to the day of sitting in exactly the same spot, we decide at about 6:30pm to take it for a small test drive ... up to the petrol station which is in the same industrial estate as AutoArt (approx. 6-700 metres max), and then back around the ring road in the industrial estate to give it a run at cruising speed (60klms per hour) to test both fuel mixtures and the new torque converter lockup switch - filled up and all is good, get around to the ring road and get up to speed and hit the switch, lockup switch works a treat just as I notice blue and red flashing lights behind me!!

Of course, flick the switch off and pull over. Young officer walks up to the car and asks if I knew how fast I was going ... yep, just over 60klms per hour as we are testing the truck out for some issues (industrial estate, 6:30pm, bugger all traffic, no residential, etc). "well" I'm told, "you were doing closer to 70 and it's a 50 zone" - contested the speed he said i was doing and asked to see the radar reading, and as fate would have it, he said he didn't have one and even admitted he didn't have time to lock in the speed (even though he was right behind me??). Then proceeds to go through the motions of asking me if I've been drinking (I hadn't, not a single drop unless you include coffee) and gets me to blow into the
machine. Do so happily.

Then he starts patting my steering wheel - says its not legal due to the lack of padding in the centre piece. Don't contest this really other than stating to him that I checked the DOT approved list, and all Autotechnica wheels with ADR badges are compliant ... he ums and ahhs for a moment and starts to look for an ADR stamp (which I tell him to look through the windshield at the back of the wheel as its there). At this point, he tells me "that's fine", but "it's not of similar design to the original wheel" - what?? This is a new one for me as I have the guidelines PDF on my laptop. So I asked him about it and I get a "you'll have to call the DOT and ask them". At this point, I am figuring he's just got it in for the truck, so I buckle and let him know, for the sake of a wheel, I'll swap it, but if you have to ping me for it, then do what you have to. He doesn't ... not only that, but he basically ignores me and starts to walk around the truck.

I notice in the side mirrors he's checking if the wheels are inside the arches. Walks back to my window and I begin to tell him I put the flares on specifically to cover the wheels ... again, ignored as he proceeds to ask me what is the maximum increase in tyre size for a modified vehicle - so I answer honestly that I know it's 15mm. So he starts - Blah, blah, blah, 33" too big, blah, blah, blah, if you had 35's you'd be going to court (no joke, "court"), blah, blah, blah but I'm not going to do anything as the new guidelines haven't been decided on so we aren't fining for that little trinket!!! So why tell me????!!!!!

Last but not least after detailing his impressive ability to recall vehicle modification measurements and guidelines, he asks once again "had any drinks tonight". What the????!!!!! So quite politely, but with some level of attitude, I respond, "mate, you put me on the breatho when you stopped me" .... "oh yeah" is his reply as he looks at the machine, and states "I didn't look at it" .... Apparently two machines he used on me that day that he didn't bother to use properly.

Yep, you got it, I felt harassed ... wasn't interested in anything I had to say, wasn't in a highly populate area, and I would suggest he was down there looking for hoons who hang around in there at night and having not found any, I was as good a target as anyone!!!

I understand the view that "monster trucks" are not suburbia friendly as it were, and I understand they need to ensure basic guidelines for road safety are followed, but this was simply too much. I was flatly ignored even when I felt I was answering a question, I felt like I was getting a lesson in 'who knows more about the law', and I felt it was personal - that's right, personal. That is, I'm a cop, I don't like 4WD's and whilst I really have nothing to ping you for, I'm going to take your time and make you feel as though you've done something wrong and guilt you into a Prius!! lol

That all said - I had reason to smile, coz my boy is back on its feet and ready for the final stages!!!

Silver
7th February 2012, 01:09 AM
Lets hope he was just having a bad day, and isn't always like that.

Bigrig
7th February 2012, 01:17 AM
Lets hope he was just having a bad day, and isn't always like that.

Hope is all we have I'm afraid ... I won't say who, but a member on here who is a mate of mine AND a blue clad defender of the law told me a story recently of another officer making a beeline for a fourbie that pulled up at a set of lights and the officer proceeded to write a ticket (wait for it), for "obstruction of visibility" due to the standard UHF aerial mounted on the front passenger side of the Bullbar.

I kid you not ... gone from the ridiculous to the completely sublime ...

And in saying all that - yes, they do a great job generally, for little pay and little reward - but they picked the job, and whilst I've no problem with upholding the law in all contexts, I have an issue with the perceived "personal opinion" on the application of said laws ...

I was picked up just before Christmas for no mud flaps remember, and he was fine with all else on the truck. Was also picked up at Christmas as my number plate wasn't on the front bar (displayed through the windshield as I hadn't put it back on from work done), and he also had no problem with the rest of the truck ...

I do have a healthy respect for the law, but that said I would rather rely on uninterpretable law, than the personal bias that seems to be placed on it dependant on 'what officer you get and on what day'.

No one seemed to have a problem last year in flood ravaged Brisbane when I used my truck to get Kennards hire equipment into the Milton area due to lift and larger tyres and snorkel letting me get through flooded areas easier .... then it was all blue arms waving, thanking me and telling me to drive up footpaths etc to get around debris etc ...

Anyway - I've hijacked my own thread ...

That wasn't as much fun as I thought it'd be!!!! lmfao

Bigrig
7th February 2012, 02:04 AM
On a lighter note - I'll be sure to post up some video of it on the dyno - very exciting!! Never seen a dyno in action in real life before!!

Silver
7th February 2012, 03:03 AM
On balance I've been lucky with coppers.

I was pulled over for a random breath test years ago. At that time I drove a '71 F100 ex ambulance. I was reaching into the back pocket for my wallet, still slowly rolling forward to the indicated spot, when the left front wheel found a step up in the grass at the side of the road. Before I corrected it, the Effie swung left as the step bit into the tyre and the tyre climbed the step.

The copper who was leading me to the appointed spot looked over his shoulder, gave a big grin, and pretended to run and jump out of the way.

The bloke with the machine was pretty stern.

As you know, we don't travel light, and I had visions of unloading the packed to the roof Effie on some pretext or other.

But, they sent me on my way fairly cheerfully.

For some reason I have had a couple of verbal exchanges with coppers in Warwick that did not lead to tickets, but did seem to start and finish with the boy in blue, in both instances a fat older bloke like me, a bit red and cranky.

Your bloke today sounds like a mongrel.

Your mate with the aerial could check the Dept of Transport website for the fact sheet that shows among such exciting things as overhangs, and sharp bits on bull bars, and tyre si2es, the correct place to mount a two way aerial. I did late last year, and I am confident that it shows just where your mate had his. I would then elect to defend the matter, and waste that coppers time, simultaneously keeping him out of the hair of other innocent motorists. If your mate can't spare the time, I'd at least send the fact sheet to the fine crowd, and invite them to review the issue. This could be a bit ticklish if protruding above the bullbar was one of those lengths of reasonably substantial PVC, then the antenna - that might be a bit tricky, unless of course he was about to head bush where it was required :-)

Bigrig
7th February 2012, 11:13 AM
Couple of snaps of the new front bar - the centre hoop won't be as high, and a slight adjustment to the high mount housing on top of the winch to accomodate the rack of spotties, but you get the jist ... I like it!!

Sir Roofy
7th February 2012, 11:31 AM
mmmmmmquite like design mate alter the top as said and will suit tank %100

Timbo
7th February 2012, 12:20 PM
I can't wait to see the Tank in the flesh!

Robo
7th February 2012, 12:38 PM
When you go for the dyno day take some ear plugs or muffs, you may just need em.

Robo
7th February 2012, 12:47 PM
Thinking back I've been booked speeding, whilst parked in servo topping up my petrol tank!. ( bike, 17 on L-plates)
But happy to report he was shortly transfered to Redfern cop shop soon after," bit of bad luck that". LOL
and trust me in the 80's that's somewhere you didn't want to be. bit of bad luck that, still makes me laugh, nearly 30 yrs later.
Same nice fella booked his own neighbour for not wearing a seat belt while reversing out of his drive way.
Yeah, I know some people.
"how many of us have done that so ya can see better", so not to cause an accident.
Chow.

rusty_nail
7th February 2012, 02:28 PM
hey bigrig, whats the lift you have done to you SWB? is it body and suspension or just suspension? how big is it? cos those tyres sure dont look like 31's. sorry my interest is cos i want to lift me truck more, but from what i can see on here most people advise against lifting swb more 2".

cheers

nic

Dhuck
7th February 2012, 02:34 PM
hey bigrig, whats the lift you have done to you SWB? is it body and suspension or just suspension? how big is it? cos those tyres sure dont look like 31's. sorry my interest is cos i want to lift me truck more, but from what i can see on here most people advise against lifting swb more 2".

cheers

nic

He has only a wagon with 5" spring lift

taslucas
7th February 2012, 02:45 PM

cheers

nic

Yeah I think it was a sample pic of the bullbar he's going for

rusty_nail
7th February 2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah I think it was a sample pic of the bullbar he's going for

ahh ok i was i bit lost as to when he got a SWB? lol. loving all the crazy vids from your place!!!

AB
7th February 2012, 03:19 PM
ahh ok i was i bit lost as to when he got a SWB? lol. loving all the crazy vids from your place!!!

Must admit when I saw the pics of the SWB too I thought to myself "My god what has he done now"....lol

taslucas
7th February 2012, 03:26 PM
Must admit when I saw the pics of the SWB too I thought to myself "My god what has he done now"....lol

"The Tank...... Small, white and cute" lol

Bigrig
7th February 2012, 04:17 PM
No lads ... the shorty is just another truck with an example of the bar I'm getting!! lmao. Did you think this process with Tank upset me that much that I just got another one??!! lol

Tank is still big, still majestically grey, and still ugly like its owner (that's right, beautiful in a 'strange' way)!!! lmfao

Goes to dyno on Friday!!!!! Yip yahhhhh!!!!! Can't wait.

Bought some vinyl roll that looks like carbon fibre and going to re-trim all the old fake timber inserts on the doors and centre console this weekend. Saw it on a mazda and it looks a treat!!!

taslucas
7th February 2012, 04:34 PM
No lads ... the shorty is just another truck with an example of the bar I'm getting!! lmao. Did you think this process with Tank upset me that much that I just got another one??!! lol

Tank is still big, still majestically grey, and still ugly like its owner (that's right, beautiful in a 'strange' way)!!! lmfao

Goes to dyno on Friday!!!!! Yip yahhhhh!!!!! Can't wait.

Bought some vinyl roll that looks like carbon fibre and going to re-trim all the old fake timber inserts on the doors and centre console this weekend. Saw it on a mazda and it looks a treat!!!

Yeah we have that carbon fibre look vinyl at work. Its good because then you can have carbon fibre anything you want! Lol

Bigrig
7th February 2012, 04:46 PM
Yeah we have that carbon fibre look vinyl at work. Its good because then you can have carbon fibre anything you want! Lol

That's the plan!! If it looks good and lasts (apparently you can use it on the outside also? UV and water resistant etc?), I'll probably throw some on the step of the rear bar, steps of the sliders, and wherever the hell else I stick it in my whirlwind way of doing things!!!! lol

NissanGQ4.2
7th February 2012, 07:13 PM

Where did you get the vinyl from Scottie, looking at re doing all my door trims, as they are pretty sad @ the moment :(

Bigrig
7th February 2012, 07:25 PM
Where did you get the vinyl from Scottie, looking at re doing all my door trims, as they are pretty sad @ the moment :(

From here mate:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170715778707?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$22 for 1500x600mm sheet (plus delivery)

NissanGQ4.2
7th February 2012, 09:49 PM
From here mate:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170715778707?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$22 for 1500x600mm sheet (plus delivery)

Thanks mate :)

Silver
8th February 2012, 12:02 AM
they show it covering some pretty complex shapes - look forward to seeing how you do it, BigRig!!

Bigrig
8th February 2012, 07:38 AM
they show it covering some pretty complex shapes - look forward to seeing how you do it, BigRig!!

I'm going to try the fake timber arm rest pieces (where the power window buttons are) this weekend - fingers crossed it comes up like the one I saw (except for my two left hands doing it!! lol) and I'll bang up some photos straight after. Got the roll of vinyl yesterday and it looks fantastic!!

taslucas
8th February 2012, 08:06 AM
That's the plan!! If it looks good and lasts (apparently you can use it on the outside also? UV and water resistant etc?), I'll probably throw some on the step of the rear bar, steps of the sliders, and wherever the hell else I stick it in my whirlwind way of doing things!!!! lol

The only thing is its not very hard wearing (for steps etc) but on the plus side if it gets damaged, it is easily replaced. Good luck applying it, if you need to conform over curves etc a little bit of heat helps (buga all heat)

Robo
8th February 2012, 10:12 AM
Just a thought on putting something nice and smooth and shiny on steps .
Don't slip on it & break your neck .
usually anti slip tape is the go isn't it ?.
1 Sunday out and about, unfortunately got stuck, get the trusty winch cable, mud in the boots.
go to get back in and big endo landing on ya backside slippen on that smooooooooth stuff, get a vid of that for us pls, lol.

Bigrig
8th February 2012, 05:19 PM
Just a thought on putting something nice and smooth and shiny on steps .
Don't slip on it & break your neck .
usually anti slip tape is the go isn't it ?.
1 Sunday out and about, unfortunately got stuck, get the trusty winch cable, mud in the boots.
go to get back in and big endo landing on ya backside slippen on that smooooooooth stuff, get a vid of that for us pls, lol.

True mate, there not really steps as such though, and the vinyl will be no more slippery than the current powdercoat I figure - that said, I'm not sold on it, just a thought ... I think checker plate would be more the go ...

Bigrig
8th February 2012, 05:54 PM
Yay!!! I now have a mod compliance plate on the truck for fuel system and turbo/intercooler!!!!! Apparently they don't do a plate for suspension?? But he's listed it on the compliance certificate to keep in the glovebox.

Bit by excruciating bit, it's coming together!!! Two more sleeps till dyno and fingers crossed, I have my rig back on Friday night!!!! I'm beside myself with anticipation!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
8th February 2012, 06:46 PM
Yay!!! I now have a mod compliance plate on the truck for fuel system and turbo/intercooler!!!!! Apparently they don't do a plate for suspension?? But he's listed it on the compliance certificate to keep in the glovebox.

Bit by excruciating bit, it's coming together!!! Two more sleeps till dyno and fingers crossed, I have my rig back on Friday night!!!! I'm beside myself with anticipation!!!!

yeh I don't think they make a plate for suspension here either, I assume you have gotten it engineered for the lift for it 2 be compliant...... How much did that set you back?????

Would love 2 get mine back in and engineered before the law changes, not that i can see it happening, but I can live the dream *L*

Bigrig
8th February 2012, 06:49 PM
yeh I don't think they make a plate for suspension here either, I assume you have gotten it engineered for the lift for it 2 be compliant...... How much did that set you back?????

Would love 2 get mine back in and engineered before the law changes, not that i can see it happening, but I can live the dream *L*

$110 total ... money well spent.

daves
8th February 2012, 07:25 PM
very nice love the lift

nickpeacock36
8th February 2012, 07:50 PM
Back on the road again! thank the lord, i need you and the Duckster to keep me out of bog holes. I cant be trusted on my own. When are we going wheeling?

Bigrig
8th February 2012, 07:51 PM
Back on the road again! thank the lord, i need you and the Duckster to keep me out of bog holes. I cant be trusted on my own. When are we going wheeling?

Thought you'd never ask mate!!! Let's tee up something for a day trip in the coming weeks.

Bigrig
8th February 2012, 07:51 PM
very nice love the lift

Thanks boss!!! Me too!!! lol

nickpeacock36
8th February 2012, 08:07 PM
Thought you'd never ask mate!!! Let's tee up something for a day trip in the coming weeks.

Sound like a plan.

NissanGQ4.2
8th February 2012, 08:07 PM
$110 total ... money well spent.

WTF!!!!!! 110 bucks, is that a proper engineered certificate or something a good mate of yours printed up on the computer for $110 and a case of beer???????????????

Bigrig
8th February 2012, 08:22 PM
WTF!!!!!! 110 bucks, is that a proper engineered certificate or something a good mate of yours printed up on the computer for $110 and a case of beer???????????????

Dept of Transport Compliance plate and certificate ... he was there doing three cars so maybe did it cheaper? Bit that's the price I got quoted. I'll confirm tomorrow the actual amount when I go have a squiz at it and get the invoice.

NissanGQ4.2
8th February 2012, 08:45 PM
Dept of Transport Compliance plate and certificate ... he was there doing three cars so maybe did it cheaper? Bit that's the price I got quoted. I'll confirm tomorrow the actual amount when I go have a squiz at it and get the invoice.

So who does the Dept of Transport Compliance plate and certificate, some one from the Dept of Transport or an independent mob. Sounds like you guys dont need your mods engineered............that s!cks, I'm moving 2 QLD!!!!!!!

Dhuck
8th February 2012, 08:55 PM
Can't wait boys

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.677713,153.084066

Dhuck
8th February 2012, 08:55 PM
Damn tapacrap don't like it

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.677638,153.083964

NissanGQ4.2
8th February 2012, 09:02 PM
Damn tapacrap don't like it

I don't have the opportunity of not liking tapacrap as I own a Nokiacrap which does't allow me 2 use tapacrap, man that is just so crap!

Bigrig
9th February 2012, 07:50 PM
Dyno moved to Monday ...

Long story, but if it can go wrong at the moment, it does ... wouldn't start today, so swapped the (already new) plugs and voila, it starts - for one go and then won't crank over at all ... plugs were shot from all the false starts I'd suggest ...

Yep, you guessed it, starter motor!!!

Getting a new one tomorrow ...

Not humorous anymore ...

NissanGQ4.2
9th February 2012, 07:54 PM
Getting a new one tomorrow ...

You can buy my GQ if your currently looking for a new one

Bigrig
9th February 2012, 08:06 PM
You can buy my GQ if your currently looking for a new one

lol - thanks anyway mate, but I'll persist a but more with Tank for the time being!!

Bigrig
9th February 2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks to Lucas for reminding me with his thread!! After the initial dramas, with the band adjusted, the new valve body is fairly awesome. Sharp changes, no flaring etc and all in all, very pleased!

Should make a difference when it finally comes home and I can give it a bit to test it out further.

97_gq_lwb
9th February 2012, 09:54 PM
One thing i found when tuning is that ngk plugs crap out with rich fuel mixtures quite easily.
I haven't read your whole thread but i thought i seen something about an aftermarket ecu.
Can i ask why you didn't go with the factory ecu and nistune.

Bigrig
9th February 2012, 10:03 PM
One thing i found when tuning is that ngk plugs crap out with rich fuel mixtures quite easily.
I haven't read your whole thread but i thought i seen something about an aftermarket ecu.
Can i ask why you didn't go with the factory ecu and nistune.

You got it mate - NGK and rich mix and they were black as a bats butt!!!

Needed some thing to control a few more aspects with the turbo setup, and the Wolf also takes over things like the MAP sensor, MAF sensor, oxygen levels, injection dwell and sequencing times, etc,etc. not heard of any "piggy back" style setup that sort of comes close truth be told (even compensation settings for high and low impedance injectors, fuel cutoff when TPS below certain voltage (for stopping and certain cruising, boost compensation in the low end to minimise lag, etc).

Not saying they don't exist, and to be honest know not much of Nistune, but general consensus from people in the industry (who have no vested interest as I didn't get it through them) is that the Wolf v500 is the ducks guts for high performance tuning ...

taslucas
9th February 2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks to Lucas for reminding me with his thread!! After the initial dramas, with the band adjusted, the new valve body is fairly awesome. Sharp changes, no flaring etc and all in all, very pleased!

Should make a difference when it finally comes home and I can give it a bit to test it out further.

oooooohh yeah! i am converted!!! Sooooooo good!!

97_gq_lwb
9th February 2012, 10:11 PM
Yeah i found most tuners haven't even heard of nistune but it would have made things a hell of a lot easier by the sound of it if you could find a tuner that was willing to learn how to use it.
Once tuned ngk plugs are ok i usually throw bosch in just to save the trouble atleast they recover on their own.
Heres some info on the nistune http://www.nistune.com/ basically turns your factory ecu into something you can live tune with.
I found factory ecu's have more functions suitable to the individual vechile more offsets and function tables for cold starts and drivability .
Where as most of the aftermarket jobs tend to be ok if you want a 1/4 mile race car.
I found most tuners will throw a car on the dyno tune it under full throttle conditions and say job done screw the drivability.

taslucas
9th February 2012, 10:12 PM
i can only guess what it would feel like to drive one of those boxs with tanks power (i know its there, just needs to be awakened)

Bigrig
9th February 2012, 10:17 PM
i can only guess what it would feel like to drive one of those boxs with tanks power (i know its there, just needs to be awakened)

Awakened indeed mate!! That's my hope ... when it actually runs for more than a few minutes!!! lmao

Robo
13th February 2012, 12:59 AM
Did you guys here v8 patrol is suppose to land in the land down under this year.

Bigrig
13th February 2012, 04:07 AM
Did you guys here v8 patrol is suppose to land in the land down under this year.

Yep ... inside one of the ugliest shaped patrols ever (IMHO)!! lol

Timbo
13th February 2012, 02:38 PM
It's the Saudi Arabian model.... yuck!

NissanGQ4.2
13th February 2012, 03:32 PM
Heres some info on the nistune http://www.nistune.com/ basically turns your factory ecu into something you can live tune with.

Note: This only works if you buy a daughter board to run along side your factory ECU which cost $420.00 + the price of a PLMS consult cable to connect the laptop to your vehicle.

taslucas
13th February 2012, 03:47 PM
Note: This only works if you buy a daughter board to run along side your factory ECU which cost $420.00 + the price of a PLMS consult cable to connect the laptop to your vehicle.

After reading about the problems tank had with the ecu, a quick scan of your above post reads something like: ...... Daughter.......PMS........pay the price......
LMAO

NissanGQ4.2
13th February 2012, 03:58 PM
After reading about the problems tank had with the ecu, a quick scan of your above post reads something like: ...... Daughter.......PMS........pay the price......
LMAO

Do not mention Daughter and that other word in the same sentence, Its a while off but im dreading the day already!!!

taslucas
13th February 2012, 04:12 PM
Lol. Tank will be going by then and you can hide out bush

97_gq_lwb
13th February 2012, 05:35 PM
I reckon this is a great deal nistune board supplied fitted and tuned for $770
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISTUNE-TYPE-1-2-INSTAL-TUNE-RB20-25-26-30-VG30-CA18-/190434501472?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c56c7e360

Robo
14th February 2012, 02:43 AM
Yep ... inside one of the ugliest shaped patrols ever (IMHO)!! lol

was just thinking about how much spent L6 verses v8.
nothing personal spent a fortune on my Gtr.
someone mention ugly! look at new cruiser hj60 revamp. yuck

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 07:19 AM
Well, as fate would have it, doesn't go to dyno now till tomorrow. Oh well ...

Side note, they took it for a blot and although it was throwing out 18lbs of boost (and not pinging!!! It'll be wound back though), the comment was something like this :

"was doing about 50klm per hour in third gear just cruising. Put the foot into it about half throttle and it dropped back to 2nd, would up to 18lb of boost and the tyre nearly lost traction trying to accelerate (33x12.5 bighorns!!)."

And that's without proper tuning!!! I asked should I be expecting 200+ kw's at the rear wheels and the answer was a a conservative "yeah, reckon so".

I wouldn't get that from a V8 and I've spent about half what I was quoted to get an LS2 put in ...

Very excited!!

Oh, and the fuel overcut on the injectors is working also - essentially stops fuel injection when off the throttle. Little fuel saver, but I reckon it's all going to count!! lol. Taking it for a run this weekend up to Bribie towing the trailer so should be a good test for consumption up the freeway and on sand. Will post that up after ... if I get it back for the weekend of course!!! lmao

rusty_nail
14th February 2012, 07:30 AM
Congrats buddy I bet your exited. It sOunds like everything is finally falling into place for you

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 07:35 AM
Congrats buddy I bet your exited. It sOunds like everything is finally falling into place for you

Thanks mate. Getting there bit by bit!!!

growler2058
14th February 2012, 08:02 AM
Dyno dyno dyno dyno

YNOT
14th February 2012, 08:05 AM
Well, as fate would have it, doesn't go to dyno now till tomorrow. Oh well ...

Side note, they took it for a blot and although it was throwing out 18lbs of boost (and not pinging!!! It'll be wound back though), the comment was something like this :

"was doing about 50klm per hour in third gear just cruising. Put the foot into it about half throttle and it dropped back to 2nd, would up to 18lb of boost and the tyre nearly lost traction trying to accelerate (33x12.5 bighorns!!)."

And that's without proper tuning!!! I asked should I be expecting 200+ kw's at the rear wheels and the answer was a a conservative "yeah, reckon so".

I wouldn't get that from a V8 and I've spent about half what I was quoted to get an LS2 put in ...

Very excited!!

Oh, and the fuel overcut on the injectors is working also - essentially stops fuel injection when off the throttle. Little fuel saver, but I reckon it's all going to count!! lol. Taking it for a run this weekend up to Bribie towing the trailer so should be a good test for consumption up the freeway and on sand. Will post that up after ... if I get it back for the weekend of course!!! lmao

Somehow I don't think it's going to spend much time with the throttle closed.

Tony

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 08:09 AM
Somehow I don't think it's going to spend much time with the throttle closed.

Tony

Haha ... no mate, not looking to hang out at Harry's Diner and do but outs - comforting to know though that towing the trailer won't mean revving the @rse out of the engine.

And don't forget, I still have to stop for red lights!!!!! lmao!!!!

YNOT
14th February 2012, 08:12 AM
Haha ... no mate, not looking to hang out at Harry's Diner and do but outs - comforting to know though that towing the trailer won't mean revving the @rse out of the engine.

And don't forget, I still have to stop for red lights!!!!! lmao!!!!

Yes but every red light means another chance to feel that turbo power!

It will be interesting to see the fuel economy in normal driving/touring, to test the theory that having extra power means the engine doesn't have to work as hard so should be more economical.

Tony

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 08:15 AM
Yes but every red light means another chance to feel that turbo power!

It will be interesting to see the fuel economy in normal driving/touring, to test the theory that having extra power means the engine doesn't have to work as hard so should be more economical.

Tony

Haha - true!!!!!

Yep, interested in that one (for obvious reason) myself, but Clint did say he reckons around 15lph on the open road is about the mark I'd be going for ... if its around that, I'm a happy man.

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 08:16 AM
Not to mention the ability to keep the TC locked up now with the switch, so no dropping back a cog for small hills etc

taslucas
14th February 2012, 08:45 AM
Bugger the pics, WE WANT VIDS!

Bigrig
14th February 2012, 09:30 AM
Bugger the pics, WE WANT VIDS!

Yep, going to get some of them either late this arvo and/or tomorrow whilst being done ...

MudDonk
14th February 2012, 02:46 PM
wtg bloke glad to hear its all coming together, ya finally just bout there...def looking forward to seeing that dyno :)

Robo
15th February 2012, 01:35 AM
hey tank.
funny you talk about fuel economy, my gtr gets worse fuel economy 17 Lt per 100k trying to save fuel.
found using turbo to get up to speed limit quickly and then cruise , actual saved fuel.
you may find reasonable fuel economy giving bit of a squirt and change up and enjoy boost next cog to get up there while turbo on song, instead of holding gear and changing latter as you normally would have in the past, just a thought.
this could be especially true as you should now have oodles of bottom end due to caming and turbo, lucky man

Bigrig
15th February 2012, 10:11 AM
Well, it's been "tweaked" and is on its way to the dyno - he commented that it's "very well behaved" even without fine tuning and is pulling pretty hard ...

Going with 15lb of boost and we'll see what results!! Going down in a couple of hours to take a video and will post that up tonight.

Fingers crossed .... again!! lmao

DX grunt
15th February 2012, 10:13 AM
Fingers crossed .... again!! lmao

I keep telling ya. Cut your losses, part it out, and buy a GU.

Will you ever listen!!!! lmao. (I am joking, you realize?)

Bigrig
15th February 2012, 10:15 AM
I keep telling ya. Cut your losses, part it out, and buy a GU.

Will you ever listen!!!! lmao. (I am joking, you realize?)

Oh, it had to be a joke mate!!! lmao

Silver
15th February 2012, 10:22 AM
BigRig, a few pages back you mentioned you had found the cause of the problems Tank has been suffering, and that you'd post up the details when you'd had some shut-eye.

Did I miss it? Or was it the sooted up spark plugs?

taslucas
15th February 2012, 10:48 AM
Oh, it had to be a joke mate!!! lmao

Sounds like grunt wants a straight line drag! (on any terrain).

We are all hurting for some vids man!

Bigrig
15th February 2012, 10:57 AM
BigRig, a few pages back you mentioned you had found the cause of the problems Tank has been suffering, and that you'd post up the details when you'd had some shut-eye.

Did I miss it? Or was it the sooted up spark plugs?

Yeah mate, and a stuffed starter motor .... plugs don't like rich mix apparently !!!! lol