PDA

View Full Version : The "Tank" - Big, Grey and Ugly ..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Bigrig
19th July 2011, 07:25 PM
Well, sliders are done and go on Thursday night ... new suspension (thanks Tony) goes in on Saturday morning, with a bent upper control arm, braided brakes lines and the rear storage/shelve system all going in on Monday (with an internal wheel mount going in on top of the storage system also so I don't have to mount the wheel on the back door - or at least have options). Winch won't happen until the first week of August (before Scenic Rim thankfully), with the dual battery soon to follow, and then it's the motor in Mid to late September ... I simply can't wait (think Tank is somewhat excited as well !!! lol). The only other thing that I could even contemplate doing post all of this is a rear locker, but really don't see the need currently .. I know how to lock up the LSD mid track and will have a ludicrous amount of flex, so that would be some way off ... if ever ... (no, I didn't say 'never' Dhuck!!! lol).

Once the engine is done, it's sad to think about, but Tank will be pretty much complete and this thread will stop growing at a frantic rate!!! LOL ... and no, I won't be selling it for $6800 on Gumtree!!!!

Dhuck
19th July 2011, 07:30 PM
I have always said, wait till the diff dies and fix it with a locker. Why destroy a perfectly good diff. Whats the saying. If it aint broke dont fix it. However you would like the locker. Better than LSD.

Bigrig
19th July 2011, 07:32 PM
I have always said, wait till the diff dies and fix it with a locker. Why destroy a perfectly good diff. Whats the saying. If it aint broke dont fix it. However you would like the locker. Better than LSD.

True on all counts!!

Dark 1
19th July 2011, 08:46 PM
Well i would think that would be enough mods, some of us have a lot of catching up to do & no time to do it.

Bigrig
19th July 2011, 08:49 PM
Well i would think that would be enough mods, some of us have a lot of catching up to do & no time to do it.

Stop it you! You post your mod list (everything!! lol) and I'll post mine and see which is longer ...

Leave it alone everyone else, I know that opened a can of worms for one liners!!!! lmao

Dark 1
19th July 2011, 09:17 PM
Big words mate big words.

Bigrig
19th July 2011, 09:20 PM
Bid words mate big words.

Haha ... I need to start looking at the inside at some stage for gadgets and stuff!! Then I'll be on the right path!!! lmao

Dhuck
19th July 2011, 09:20 PM
humungous ginormous derelictis

Dhuck
22nd July 2011, 08:25 AM
Sliders! Where are the pics. Or did something else happen to prolong the project?

Bigrig
22nd July 2011, 09:37 AM
Sliders! Where are the pics. Or did something else happen to prolong the project?

Something else happened!!!! lmao

Getting the sh1ts now, but picking them up Saturday morning ... apparently!!! Photo below of fitting last night ...

nowoolies
22nd July 2011, 09:40 AM
much more on Tank and your gunna need solid tyres hahahahahahah

patch697
22nd July 2011, 09:42 AM
Nice Bigus....... Tanks looking pretty damn tough in that work shop pic old mate...

Dhuck
22nd July 2011, 09:52 AM
So whats happened this time?

patch697
22nd July 2011, 09:57 AM

Ohhhhhh........ Well if it isn't the naughty Dhuck with the potty beak ..................... ROFLMFAO

Morning Dhucky....

nowoolies
22nd July 2011, 10:17 AM

stuck your head outta the swamp early today mate hahahahahahaah
morning dhuck

Bigrig
22nd July 2011, 10:55 AM

He hadn't sized up the support arms and the one he had already welded on was too long ... fixed last night, but I couldn't be bothered waiting around till they were done ...

Bigrig
22nd July 2011, 10:58 AM
Nice Bigus....... Tanks looking pretty damn tough in that work shop pic old mate...

I'll need that extra inch of height I'm gunna get with the suspension changeover tomorrow mate - those bars are bloody heavy!! That said, it does toughen it up a bit and can't wait to test em out at Scenic Rim!!

Dhuck
22nd July 2011, 11:03 AM
Ohhhhhh........ Well if it isn't the naughty Dhuck with the potty beak ..................... ROFLMFAO

Morning Dhucky....
Morning. Me naughty? Never

stuck your head outta the swamp early today mate hahahahahahaah
morning dhuck

Been at the money earning joint since 7:30 mate. Come on, been floating around at that hour for days, months and even years. Just don't expect to much on the weekends. lol

Dhuck
22nd July 2011, 11:04 AM
I'll need that extra inch of height I'm gunna get with the suspension changeover tomorrow mate - those bars are bloody heavy!! That said, it does toughen it up a bit and can't wait to test em out at Scenic Rim!!

These bars would want to be free now.

Bigrig
22nd July 2011, 11:11 AM
These bars would want to be free now.

Haha ... getting that way!! If I wasn't getting them for the price I am I would've said bash it in your ring gear by now (as you know) ... fair enough I'm paying about a quarter of the price for them, but makes it pretty bloody hard to recommend people to go and use him ... his product is first rate, but his execution and communication need some serious adjustment if he wants to get away from doing boy racer work and dealing with real 4WD accessories for people who actually use them ...

That said ... I'll be a very happy bunny post the weekend with a new suspension setup and new rock sliders!!!

growler2058
22nd July 2011, 02:39 PM
Cool no more slow vids ay hahahahahahahahha Dhuck myster will be able to guide you through all obstacles at speed woo hoo cant wait for the 8 hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Dhuck
22nd July 2011, 02:41 PM
Cool no more slow vids ay hahahahahahahahha Dhuck myster will be able to guide you through all obstacles at speed woo hoo cant wait for the 8 hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

No more sloooooowly taking care of sills. Lets knock these sliders around and see how good this manufacturer is. Bring on the fun.

growler2058
22nd July 2011, 02:42 PM
No more sloooooowly taking care of sills. Lets knock these sliders around and see how good this manufacturer is. Bring on the fun.

X2!!!!!!!!!! Like a TANK should roll

Bigrig
22nd July 2011, 02:49 PM

Hahaha ... yep, no more dhuck going through in 5min35sec and me taking over 9min to do the same section!!! lmao!!!

There again, I drive like a fairy, so no doubt I'll still take it easy!! Hmmmm ...

Dhuck
22nd July 2011, 02:55 PM
Less turning and straighter lines means quicker completion. But that rock over there is a tad to large for you

Bigrig
27th July 2011, 08:17 AM
Well, haven't been on much of late - getting flogged at work, but there has still been some progress ...

I'll get some shots up later today (not much to look at really) of the new suspension Tony and I fitted on the weekend - only about 20mm average lift all round, but noticeable. The big difference will be when I get it off road - the front shocks are about 70mm longer and the rears about 80mm longer than what I had on there before, so with the 5" springs and the drop boxes letting the radius arms do what they're supposed to, I should be getting some serious travel!!

Getting braided brake lines, bent upper control arm and 70mm extended link pins in on Monday, as well as the storage/shelf system put in. So no flexing up just yet!! lol

Have had somewhat of a time with the sliders - after a looooonnnnnnnng wait, I finally picked them up on Thursday night - cleaned them back, primed and painted over the weekend, and when I went to fit them yesterday, the rear bracket on the drivers side is too short and the bolts hit the petrol tank!!! To say I was p!ssed off is an understatement, but to his credit, old mate that's doing them came around last night, measured up the problem area, took them away to fix the problem, AND to smooth over the stuff around, is going to get them sandblasted and powder coated as well as come back to my joint and fit them for nothing!!! Can't knock that effort, so hopefully I'll have them back by the weekend ready to slot into place!! Fingers firmly crossed.

Patch has been doing a tonne of work in sorting all the details for my engine transplant and I cannot thank him enough for all he is doing!! Long and short of it is the engine should be going in mid to late September with Paul (flying up!!), Tony and Rodney sorting the vast majority of the installation - you are all stars and another fine example of how this forum is progressing more and more into a bonafide network of people who go out of their way to ensure the wider community is taken care of - I simply cannot wait to hear that bad boy come to life in Tank and have every level of faith and comfort that the right people are involved.

Well, that's it .. off to take the kids to school, then I'm out all day again ... and tomorrow ... and Friday!! But worth it though ...

growler2058
27th July 2011, 05:21 PM
I can't wait to hear it at loveday WOOO HoOO

NissanGQ4.2
27th July 2011, 06:58 PM
Patch has been doing a tonne of work in sorting all the details for my engine transplant and I cannot thank him enough for all he is doing!! Long and short of it is the engine should be going in mid to late September with Paul (flying up!!), Tony and Rodney sorting the vast majority of the installation - you are all stars and another fine example of how this forum is progressing more and more into a bonafide network of people who go out of their way to ensure the wider community is taken care of - I simply cannot wait to hear that bad boy come to life in Tank and have every level of faith and comfort that the right people are involved.

Can you hurry up Scotty, when the boys have finished your engine transplant I need them 2 do a Gearbox rebuild!!!!! ssshhhh I haven't asked them yet *L*

Bigrig
27th July 2011, 07:20 PM
Can you hurry up Scotty, when the boys have finished your engine transplant I need them 2 do a Gearbox rebuilt!!!!! ssshhhh I haven't asked them yet *L*

I reckon they know by now old mate!! lol

Clunk
28th July 2011, 02:11 AM
Tank is looking tougher and toughr mate................. looking foward to seeing it out n about with those sliders mate

Bigrig
28th July 2011, 10:12 PM
A couple of shots of the suspension setup ... as said, not much to look at really, but can't wait to flex it up!!!

snicko
28th July 2011, 10:38 PM
Tank looks really good there Big Rig. So different from the first pic I saw!!

growler2058
29th July 2011, 06:18 AM
Lookin good mate
Do you need extended rear arms the rear wheel look to be quite forward of centre it is that cause of the driveway angle (lowers)

YNOT
29th July 2011, 06:24 AM
The trouble with extended lower arms on GQ is when the suspension compresses up the tyre will be pushed back into the back mud guard.

Tony

growler2058
29th July 2011, 06:32 AM
The trouble with extended lower arms on GQ is when the suspension compresses up the tyre will be pushed back into the back mud guard.

Tony

Mornin Tony long time no speak
I haven't had this issue however I bought a complete "tuned" for want if better word kit and am only running 33's I do get scrubbing on the inner guard at full flex tho but a hammer will sort that out I reckon:-)

YNOT
29th July 2011, 07:11 AM
Mornin Tony long time no speak
I haven't had this issue however I bought a complete "tuned" for want if better word kit and am only running 33's I do get scrubbing on the inner guard at full flex tho but a hammer will sort that out I reckon:-)

Morning mate.

We won't know for sure until Scott has the extended brake lines and bent upper arm fitted so he can flex it up properly to see where the tyres end up. When I had those springs and shocks in my GQ with GU diffs and 33" tyres, the tyres touched the back of the gaurds/flare. I switched back to a GQ diff (narrower than GU diff) it still touched the flare but now also rubbed the inner guard and exhaust.
Some cars will have no trouble at all with scrubbing, there are so many variables.

I don't think Scotty is as exicited about the suspension as he was last week, not with his latest investment!

Tony

growler2058
29th July 2011, 07:20 AM
Morning mate.

We won't know for sure until Scott has the extended brake lines and bent upper arm fitted so he can flex it up properly to see where the tyres end up. When I had those springs and shocks in my GQ with GU diffs and 33" tyres, the tyres touched the back of the gaurds/flare. I switched back to a GQ diff (narrower than GU diff) it still touched the flare but now also rubbed the inner guard and exhaust.
Some cars will have no trouble at all with scrubbing, there are so many variables.

I don't think Scotty is as exicited about the suspension as he was last week, not with his latest investment!

Tony

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA cant wait to hear that bad boy ROAR!!

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 07:28 AM
Morning mate.

Tony

Morning lads - still excited about the suspension Tony no doubt, but yeah, you're right ... some of the gloss is gone based on what happened yesterday and I'll explain that in a second and prove yet again how fickle I am!!! lmao

The neighbor across the road had diff centres from his GU which are virtually brand new as he got them swapped out about a week or two after he got it ... should I be getting them to slot in when we do the engine? They're 4.1:1 ...

Sooooooo .... the engine .... well, through a bit of luck and the keen eyes of the chaps involved, I'm now getting that TB42 with Turbo that MR posted up about on the forum - 200 odd kilowatts and a massive amount of torque at the rear wheels (and he's running 35's!) ... far easier transplant, cheaper, and probably producing as much power as the LS1 anyway ...

Paul is going to suss it out on the weekend and slap down the deposit, old mate that owns it is going to bang it all on a couple of pallets (as it includes the gas system etc also), and once up here, we're ready to roll ... to say I'm excited is a massive understatement!!

growler2058
29th July 2011, 07:37 AM
Far out man its hard to keep up!! hahahahhahahaha

Soooo keeping the gas now???

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 07:43 AM
Far out man its hard to keep up!! hahahahhahahaha

Soooo keeping the gas now???

Nah mate - it comes with a relatively new system complete, so I'll hock that off to get some dollars back to cover the install and other little 'goodies'!!! lol

Still going straight fuel, so will be doing that at the same time now as there should be far less time required for installation of the engine itself ... possibly the new diff centres also if Tony thinks it worthwhile putting the 4.1's in ... and then that's about it!! Until the next thing!!!! lmfao

YNOT
29th July 2011, 07:56 AM
Have a look at your ID plate Scott to find out what ratio you currently have. If you have 3.9:1 then 4.1:1 will put your gearing back to standard with the 33's on.
Keep in mind the front locker will need to be swapped over and GQ LSD's are bigger and stronger than GU LSD's.

Tony

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 07:59 AM
Have a look at your ID plate Scott to find out what ratio you currently have. If you have 3.9:1 then 4.1:1 will put your gearing back to standard with the 33's on.
Keep in mind the front locker will need to be swapped over and GQ LSD's are bigger and stronger than GU LSD's.

Tony

Sold ... mine are staying!!! lol

patch697
29th July 2011, 09:39 AM
Morning lads - still excited about the suspension Tony no doubt, but yeah, you're right ... some of the gloss is gone based on what happened yesterday and I'll explain that in a second and prove yet again how fickle I am!!! lmao

The neighbor across the road had diff centres from his GU which are virtually brand new as he got them swapped out about a week or two after he got it ... should I be getting them to slot in when we do the engine? They're 4.1:1 ...

Sooooooo .... the engine .... well, through a bit of luck and the keen eyes of the chaps involved, I'm now getting that TB42 with Turbo that MR posted up about on the forum - 200 odd kilowatts and a massive amount of torque at the rear wheels (and he's running 35's!) ... far easier transplant, cheaper, and probably producing as much power as the LS1 anyway ...

Paul is going to suss it out on the weekend and slap down the deposit, old mate that owns it is going to bang it all on a couple of pallets (as it includes the gas system etc also), and once up here, we're ready to roll ... to say I'm excited is a massive understatement!!

Just spoke to the bloke in question & he's keen as so im off to Geelong on the W/end old mate to drive a very fat GQ..........lol

You know Tank & I are going to get all close & personal real soon don't ya?............. Do ya think you can cope old mate???............. I want no jealousy out of you now...................ROFLMFAO

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 10:06 AM
Just spoke to the bloke in question & he's keen as so im off to Geelong on the W/end old mate to drive a very fat GQ..........lol

You know Tank & I are going to get all close & personal real soon don't ya?............. Do ya think you can cope old mate???............. I want no jealousy out of you now...................ROFLMFAO

Three words "bloods worth bottling"!!! You're a star champion - thanks again!!

Tank is a bloke just so you know, so certainly no jealousy on my behalf, and you get down and dirty with him to your hearts content!!!! lmao

patch697
29th July 2011, 10:10 AM
Three words "bloods worth bottling"!!! You're a star champion - thanks again!!

Tank is a bloke just so you know, so certainly no jealousy on my behalf, and you get down and dirty with him to your hearts content!!!! lmao

Nah...............No dirty stuff old mate?????................ If I find a speck of mud or dirt on Tank when I get there than the hole things off......... Working on dirty Rigs...... Who do you think I am, a Tojo mechanic..........................ROFLMFAO

Dark 1
29th July 2011, 10:10 AM

How much does your neighbour want for them............. cause they may be sold!!

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 10:13 AM
Nah...............No dirty stuff old mate?????................ If I find a speck of mud or dirt on Tank when I get there than the hole things off......... Working on dirty Rigs...... Who do you think I am, a Tojo mechanic..........................ROFLMFAO

It's clean as a whistle boss!! Promise!! lmao

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 10:15 AM
How much does your neighbour want for them............. cause they may be sold!!

I'll find out this arvo mate - will definitely be 'mates rates' so should be a cracking price ... he just offloaded a set of 5 coopers on black 16" rims to a mate of mine for his BT50 for $750 (less than half price with just on full tread), so it'll be a deal no doubt.

Dark 1
29th July 2011, 10:28 AM
I'll find out this arvo mate - will definitely be 'mates rates' so should be a cracking price ... he just offloaded a set of 5 coopers on black 16" rims to a mate of mine for his BT50 for $750 (less than half price with just on full tread), so it'll be a deal no doubt.

Awesome buddy, i've got 3;9s now & have been hoping to find some 4;1s for a while, he doesn't have a spair gearbox as well does he?
Anywho i better go & do some work now to pay for all these new bits & peices. I'm looking at putting later models headlights, indicators, tail lights & polished stainless steel grille on soon but i need to sort some of the greasey bits first.

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 10:29 AM
Awesome buddy, i've got 3;9s now & have been hoping to find some 4;1s for a while, he doesn't have a spair gearbox as well does he?
Anywho i better go & do some work now to pay for all these new bits & peices. I'm looking at putting later models headlights, indicators, tail lights & polished stainless steel grille on soon but i need to sort some of the greasey bits first.

Too easy - I'll give you a call this arvo!

NissanGQ4.2
29th July 2011, 09:50 PM

think you should buy TANK this, I would if i had the money

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280712370072&clk_rvr_id=251168762789

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 10:37 PM
think you should buy TANK this, I would if i had the money

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280712370072&clk_rvr_id=251168762789

Thanks mate - Bob sent that one through to me a couple of days ago ... all over bar the shouting now mate anyway ... patch is going to see that other motor on the weekend, and all being as it appears, it'll be on a pallet on it's way to me!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
29th July 2011, 10:40 PM
u still going 2 be running the same gearbox???

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 11:02 PM
u still going 2 be running the same gearbox???

Yessum boss ... same engine, just with a serious turbo setup ... avoids all the bellhousing Adaptors etc, etc that I would have needed for the LS1

NissanGQ4.2
29th July 2011, 11:09 PM
looking forward 2 hearing / seeing it when it done :)

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 11:18 PM
looking forward 2 hearing / seeing it when it done :)

Me too brother, me too!!!

Bigrig
30th July 2011, 11:50 AM
Woohoo - get the sliders on Tuesday!! Fixed and powder coated for nothing!

Going to hold off any more goodies now until I sort the engine ... even getting that bargain on here, it's still going to set me back a bucket load, so best I tighten the investment reins for Tank at the moment!!

Still getting the brake lines, rear link pins for the swaybar, and upper control arm done on Monday though as that was booked in, so will be ready to play come the Scenic Rim trip!!

growler2058
30th July 2011, 01:42 PM
Hey Scotty just heard of this awesome bargain you should................................hahahhahahah ahhahahahhahahahaaha restraint till the next bargain hahahahahahaha

Dark 1
30th July 2011, 05:23 PM
Woohoo - get the sliders on Tuesday!! Fixed and powder coated for nothing!

Going to hold off any more goodies now until I sort the engine ... even getting that bargain on here, it's still going to set me back a bucket load, so best I tighten the investment reins for Tank at the moment!!

Still getting the brake lines, rear link pins for the swaybar, and upper control arm done on Monday though as that was booked in, so will be ready to play come the Scenic Rim trip!!
Looking foward to some piccies of those new sliderz.

Bigrig
1st August 2011, 09:03 PM
Little update - got the drawers in today ... still no sliders as yet, and because I needed the rig, didn't get time to do the brake lines ...

Brake lines in Friday and not getting a bent upper control arm - just going to cut the petrol tank with a slot for the current arm to go down through ...

It's getting there!!!

growler2058
1st August 2011, 09:07 PM
NOICE mate!!

Finly Owner
1st August 2011, 09:27 PM
draws look good

MC97GQ
2nd August 2011, 05:53 AM
The Rig's coming along nicely, Scotty

Dark 1
2nd August 2011, 11:12 AM
Tank is really a perfect mix between ultimate touring machine & extreme play toy, now it's my turn to be Jealous Scotty, he/she's really coming along nicely bud.

patch697
2nd August 2011, 11:19 AM
Those draws are smashing Bigus..... Can't wait to see tank up close..... What a machine he's turning out to be.

patch697
2nd August 2011, 11:28 AM
Tank is really a perfect mix between ultimate touring machine & extreme play toy, now it's my turn to be Jealous Scotty, he/she's really coming along nicely bud.

Oh Tanks a Boy trol Kel................lol

Dark 1
2nd August 2011, 05:02 PM
Oh Tanks a Boy trol Kel................lol

Thanks for that Patch. I started writing he & then thought uuuhhmmm nah better put both down.

AB
2nd August 2011, 05:19 PM
Its' becoming a weapon Scotty!

Bigrig
3rd August 2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks lads

Not getting the superior bent control arm as said, getting the petrol tank chopped to accommodate the OE arm - that comes out on Friday and goes back in on Wednesday - get a new radiator (warranty) on Wednesday also, and the sliders 'should' be going on over the weekend ...

A dead set race to the finish to have it all done in time for Scenic Rim next weekend. But I'm up for the challenge!!!

patch697
3rd August 2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks lads

Not getting the superior bent control arm as said, getting the petrol tank chopped to accommodate the OE arm - that comes out on Friday and goes back in on Wednesday - get a new radiator (warranty) on Wednesday also, and the sliders 'should' be going on over the weekend ...

A dead set race to the finish to have it all done in time for Scenic Rim next weekend. But I'm up for the challenge!!!

I don't know whether or not they will Bigus but it may pay to check out if the sliders will interfere with the tank coming out before you get them fitted mate.

Bigrig
3rd August 2011, 10:51 AM
I don't know whether or not they will Bigus but it may pay to check out if the sliders will interfere with the tank coming out before you get them fitted mate.

True brother ... they shouldn't from what I recall of the bracket beside the tank, but will suss it none the less!! Thanks

patch697
3rd August 2011, 10:58 AM
True brother ... they shouldn't from what I recall of the bracket beside the tank, but will suss it none the less!! Thanks

I was thinking more along the lines of bolt access for the tank bolts mate.... Nothing worse then having to pull out a hole lot of crap for one bolt (as is normally the case....frustrating as heel when that happens)..... See how you go.

Bigrig
3rd August 2011, 11:31 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of bolt access for the tank bolts mate.... Nothing worse then having to pull out a hole lot of crap for one bolt (as is normally the case....frustrating as heel when that happens)..... See how you go.

I'm with ya ... the tank bolts and ability to take in and out aren't affected by the sliders (had a look see) ... so should be fine ... hopefully ... maybe ... possibly ... lol

patch697
3rd August 2011, 11:35 AM
I'm with ya ... the tank bolts and ability to take in and out aren't affected by the sliders (had a look see) ... so should be fine ... hopefully ... maybe ... possibly ... lol

Well your good to go old mate...................... Now put a flame under it................................PML

Bigrig
3rd August 2011, 11:53 AM
Well your good to go old mate...................... Now put a flame under it................................PML

I was thinking of smoking a durrie under there whilst pulling the tank out, so it may happen yet!!!! lmao

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 08:03 PM
Well, it's a dead set reality now - Paul let me know earlier that the engine, turbo, etc, etc are all out of the other rig and on the pallet, and I'll probably organise the courier tomorrow ... To say I'm getting excited is an understatement (big time!!).

Get the petrol tank sorted this week as well as the radiator, and next project is to start organizing the engine transplant with Paul and Tony - going to get Derek to give the bottom end an overhaul whilst it's out and at his shed in the interim to make sure everything is tickety boo!! Looking like early to mid September at this stage.

I can't stress enough my thanks for the assistance from the guys on here, and pray that I'll be able to reward you one day with something even more than some dollars, a beer and a handshake for the efforts!!!

Sliders go on tomorrow night also ... so all going to plan, time for an unleash at Scenic Rim next weekend!! 5 more sleeps!!!

NissanGQ4.2
7th August 2011, 08:09 PM
sounding good mate, looking forward 2 the write up on the engine transplant :)

growler2058
7th August 2011, 08:12 PM
Cant wait to hear it and see the figures it puts out, do ya know what your current donk puts out?? MAAttteee also cant wait for Loveday, she who must be obeyed is happy to go camping for her birthday Win Win

Yendor
7th August 2011, 08:15 PM
It's coming together now Scotty.

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 08:15 PM
sounding good mate, looking forward 2 the write up on the engine transplant :)

I'll be doing a detailed write up of that mate - no doubt!!! I figure I'm worthless whilst they're doing their thing, so I'll take photos and write up a report!!! No point getting my hands dirty!!!! lmfao

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 08:16 PM
Cant wait to hear it and see the figures it puts out, do ya know what your current donk puts out?? MAAttteee also cant wait for Loveday, she who must be obeyed is happy to go camping for her birthday Win Win

Me too fella - mine couldn't be putting out more than 80-90 rwkw's so this thing should cone close to tripling that!!

Awesome news for Loveday also!!!!

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 08:19 PM
It's coming together now Scotty.

Too right mate!! As said before, once this is all done, what do I do then??

The answer? "just enjoy it"!!! lol

NissanGQ4.2
7th August 2011, 08:23 PM
Too right mate!! As said before, once this is all done, what do I do then??

The answer? "Rebuild Todd's Geartbox"!!!

Love your way of thinking mate *L*

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 08:25 PM
Love your way of thinking mate *L*

Hahaha ... very good mate!!

Dint know if you want me unleashed on your rig! It'll never run again!!! lol

blazza
9th August 2011, 08:20 PM
A couple of shots of the suspension setup ... as said, not much to look at really, but can't wait to flex it up!!!

looks mean and and tough mate, i'll flex ya up one time if ya want :-P

Bigrig
9th August 2011, 08:53 PM

Don't think old Tank will flex up quite like that mate!! Yours looks like an angry dog cocking it's leg on a tree!!!! lmao ... Love it!!!

big_fletch
9th August 2011, 09:08 PM
Sounds like your wallet is gonna get very light, very quick mate.. Cant wait to see all the mods when finished

Bigrig
9th August 2011, 09:11 PM
Sounds like your wallet is gonna get very light, very quick mate.. Cant wait to see all the mods when finished

It's empty already brother!!!!

But I have a method of making more money for a while yet ... I've got 4 kids ...

I used to have 6!!!! roflmfao!!!!

blazza
9th August 2011, 09:15 PM
Don't think old Tank will flex up quite like that mate!! Yours looks like an angry dog cocking it's leg on a tree!!!! lmao ... Love it!!!

ha ha ha very true there with cocking the leg up ha ha, what trip u reckon you'll be planning next after the scenic rim?

Bigrig
9th August 2011, 09:29 PM
ha ha ha very true there with cocking the leg up ha ha, what trip u reckon you'll be planning next after the scenic rim?

Wouldn't mind doing Pine Creek (or Pine whatever it is up your way) or something different like that.

blazza
9th August 2011, 09:57 PM
Wouldn't mind doing Pine Creek (or Pine whatever it is up your way) or something different like that.

dont know if i've heard of that before but keep us posted :)

Silver
9th August 2011, 10:59 PM

Pulled over for a p1ss to mark your territory blazza?? :-) Looks great!

Buggrer, just realised Big Rig had the same idea some time before me. Oh well, will happen again I guess. And it does look like a leg cocking exercise.

Pine Creek near Bundy??

Dhuck
10th August 2011, 07:21 AM
Update on Tanks progress Scotty.

growler2058
10th August 2011, 07:25 AM
Hey Largerus riggerus whats happening with the sliders???????

Bigrig
10th August 2011, 07:55 AM
Half an hour off dropping it to Derek's to get radiator pulled out and sent for repair whilst they do the warranty claim (has to go back in though). Tomorrow the petrol tank comes back and goes in, and tomorrow bight whilst I'm packing the dude is bringing over the sliders to fit them up for me at home (he's doing it) ... cutting it all fine is an understatement!!

Dhuck
10th August 2011, 04:17 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! Mate all this is just a tad to fine.

Bigrig
10th August 2011, 05:43 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! Mate all this is just a tad to fine.

Tell me about it ... just got the call that the radiator is cactus - he's sealing it up as best as possible, but won't have it back to me till lunch tomorrow ... Thats got to go back in so I can drive the b@stard back to get the fuel tank installed tomorrow afternoon now ...

Some story about a wheelbarrow full of sh!t and a hill is what comes to mind!!!

Dhuck
10th August 2011, 05:54 PM
Is to fine mate. Start packing tonight or see you sometime on the weekend

Bigrig
10th August 2011, 05:56 PM
Is to fine mate. Start packing tonight or see you sometime on the weekend

Don't be a pessimist!!! lol

It'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ... it'll be fine ...

Right ... I think I've convinced myself ... how about the rest of you?? lmao

Dhuck
10th August 2011, 06:19 PM
We good and Adam will be there Friday night or Sat morn. I is a little ansy

blazza
10th August 2011, 09:20 PM
Pulled over for a p1ss to mark your territory blazza?? :-) Looks great!

Buggrer, just realised Big Rig had the same idea some time before me. Oh well, will happen again I guess. And it does look like a leg cocking exercise.

Pine Creek near Bundy??. Yeah mate testing the flex on a truck ramp at my work ha ha, oh ok up near Bundy, yeah haven't heard of it, Bundy bit passed sunshine coast where im from :-p

YNOT
10th August 2011, 09:32 PM

I've got a mate in Bundy who knows about Pine Creek, I'll give him a call tomorrow night and find out more about the place.

Tony

Bigrig
18th August 2011, 06:30 PM
The new engine has arrived!!!!! Godang I'm excited!!! This thread is big now, just wait until this bad boy goes in!!!! lmao

All going well, it's scheduled for install the week starting Monday 19th September.

hekarewe
18th August 2011, 06:44 PM
The new engine has arrived!!!!! Godang I'm excited!!! This thread is big now, just wait until this bad boy goes in!!!! lmao

All going well, it's scheduled for install the week starting Monday 19th September.

that will sort out your new cv's,,,,, diff's trani etc etc lol

growler2058
18th August 2011, 06:58 PM
Effken OATH mate thats excitement cant wait to see this at loveday

Bigrig
18th August 2011, 07:40 PM
that will sort out your new cv's,,,,, diff's trani etc etc lol

Haha ... too right!!!! It'll identify the 'weak links' real early in the piece me thinks!!!!

Bigrig
18th August 2011, 07:41 PM
Effken OATH mate thats excitement cant wait to see this at loveday

Can't wait to be there brother!!! 7 months and 2 weeks to go ... what ever happened to the clock on the home page with the countdown timer that we were talking about yonks ago??

growler2058
18th August 2011, 07:55 PM
Can't wait to be there brother!!! 7 months and 2 weeks to go ... what ever happened to the clock on the home page with the countdown timer that we were talking about yonks ago??

True True whos the guru who can sort that out! :1087:

Bigrig
27th August 2011, 12:19 PM
Well, hopefully I've ruled out having a dodgy hub ... pulled both out this morning, and they were dead set chockers with grey, pasty old grease!! ... cleaned them out completely, gave them a bit of a lube up (nice and light) with some HTB and now both swivels are turning nicely with no play at all ...

Some happy snaps just for giggles - was playing around with a little program I downloaded on the iPhone ... not bad for a bit of fun ... heaps of different filters and overlays ...

No trick photography on this one ... that's just Tank's usual aura!!!! lmao

this shot is nothing to do with the truck, but downloaded a 360 degree camera thingy also as an iPhone app, and it works pretty well ... this photo is a bit broken as I went a bit quick (look at the pool fence line) but you get the idea - think it would be good for panorama shots when we have trucks lined up at get togethers ... that entertainment area is about 8 metres long and you can continue to a full 360 degrees ... very funky!!

growler2058
27th August 2011, 12:58 PM
Got the same app mate good fun ay

Bigrig
27th August 2011, 01:01 PM
Got the same app mate good fun ay

Tis indeed ... downloaded another one that records video in old 8mm (and a few other modes). Looks great - like old Charlie Chaplin footage!! Should go well at double speed with Benny Hill music behind it when we do something stupid on the next trip!!!! lmao

Clunk
28th August 2011, 12:13 AM
ooooooh look at you with your fancy fandangled Iphone apps hahahahaha.............. seriously though, look pretty good mate

Bigrig
16th September 2011, 07:46 PM
Well, the engine transplant has taken somewhat of a HUGE sidestep. Long and short of it is we can't do, at a reasonable cost, what we thought we could initially (hence the engine is up for sale!). Thinking currently is a fully reco'd TD42T long motor, larger turbo, manifolds, and pretty much new everything else - but this will take some time as I don't want to make the same mistake twice. The TD42T running at something like 14lb of boost will be no fire breather, but heaps more power and torque than I have now, and be a keeper for a long time (not to mention being a heap more fuel efficient and a far easier conversion).

Jase and I did the CV's on Tank as I've been concerned of a clicking noise in there when we were out at scenic, and apart from the muck pictured below, they are all good - fully regreased and back in. Put some instant gasket back on also, as a fair bit of water had been in there. Gave everything a clean up and grease on the way, and hopefully all good now. I'll need new front bearings (only 5-6 months old) as they are burnt fairly bad from the watery, grey, coagulated grease not working properly - what's that all about?? lmao ... oopsey!!

Now to the next problem - the auto transmission appears to be working fine as such, but I can't manually select second gear - just doesn't change back, and if taking off, it gets to second and rolls into third as though it's in drive ... I'll post up a separate thread for that one and then start thinking about ripping it out for repair ... love working on gearboxes ... not ...

Ben-e-boy
16th September 2011, 08:00 PM
One piece of advice I will give........ Keep the short side cv and axle as a spare They are few and far between and you usually dont break the long side..Grease it wrap it in glad wrap leave it for a rainy day.

Bigrig
16th September 2011, 08:03 PM
Good to see the front end sorted out mate. I was wondering what was happening with the heart transplant though. Was it the engine from Geelong you ended up getting? What blew the budget?

Thanks mate - not so much blew the budget as became not economical as such (never going to be on a 20 year old rig, but outcome versus cost just ruled it out). Silly stuff such as having to put a second row of injectors in to get the fuel rate up (apparently can't, or extremely difficult to modify existing injectors, and can't get bigger ones). Long and short of it when I starting converting dollars into extra kilowatts, whilst it would have plenty of output, it was at about $300 per kilowatt!!!! And essentially I still end up with a 20 year old motor.

For less than that (not as much power outright, but I'm not trying to do wheelstands) I can virtually end up with a brand new TD42T that will have a longer life expectancy, and heaps cheaper to run (not to mention to fit!!).

Oh well ... back to the drawing board we go!!!

Bigrig
16th September 2011, 08:10 PM
One piece of advice I will give........ Keep the short side cv and axle as a spare They are few and far between and you usually dont break the long side..Grease it wrap it in glad wrap leave it for a rainy day.

Thanks mate - didn't swap them out although we called around wreckers to get a GU set - that is definitely on the agenda.

Bigrig
16th September 2011, 08:20 PM
Yeah good point. 300/kW is a bit outrageous! Good luck with the hunt for your oiler.

Thanks boss - sort of found it, just holding off until everything is covered off. - Tony and Paul have been sorting that pretty much and have been superb through the whole process.

Ben-e-boy
16th September 2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks mate - didn't swap them out although we called around wreckers to get a GU set - that is definitely on the agenda.

cvs are longer than gq so I have been told, you will need a gu diff or gu from the swivel hub out

Bigrig
16th September 2011, 08:40 PM
cvs are longer than gq so I have been told, you will need a gu diff or gu from the swivel hub out

Really??? I thought they were interchangeable ... no worries either way, I'll get what's needed and swap it out ...

NissanGQ4.2
16th September 2011, 08:57 PM
Now to the next problem - the auto transmission appears to be working fine as such, but I can't manually select second gear - just doesn't change back, and if taking off, it gets to second and rolls into third as though it's in drive ... I'll post up a separate thread for that one and then start thinking about ripping it out for repair ... love working on gearboxes ... not ...

Welcome 2 my world mate *LMAO*

here is a link for you just 2 get you in the mood http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5942-RE4R03A-Gearbox-Rebuild

Can send you a very think manual 2 if you want it *LMAO*

Ben-e-boy
16th September 2011, 09:02 PM
Really??? I thought they were interchangeable ... no worries either way, I'll get what's needed and swap it out ...

No they arnt I asked I gu would fit the answer was no.... I tell you I am more than happy to be wrong

Bigrig
16th September 2011, 09:30 PM
No they arnt I asked I gu would fit the answer was no.... I tell you I am more than happy to be wrong

Nope - you're right - it's just the cvs themselves that are interchangeable ... the axle shafts are longer on the GU's - thanks boss!!

NissanGQ4.2
16th September 2011, 09:35 PM
same model gq as yours Scotty on fleabay 3grand another project 4 your son, link is on the ebay link thread.

Bigrig
16th September 2011, 10:03 PM
same model gq as yours Scotty on fleabay 3grand another project 4 your son, link is on the ebay link thread.

Thanks mate - you're a fleabay Allstar aren't ya??!!! lmao

Bigrig
23rd September 2011, 11:04 PM
Well, I've been very quiet on the engine front on here, but long and short of it is that Tank goes in on Monday to have the engine ripped out and the new turbo jobbie put in - will be running on LPG to start with until we sort the petrol setup properly, but even so, will end up with a comfortable 170-180 kw's at the rear wheels ...

Once the petrol is sorted and tweaked, and the right intercooler setup is selected an installed, I should be looking at about 220 rear wheel kilowatts ... plenty of berries either way!!!

I'm away whilst the transplant takes place, but I'll throw up some happy snaps next week when I get back, and a video if I get the note from it that is expected!!

Fingers crossed that Tank will pull through ok having his heart replaced, and looking very forward to giving it a test out in a couple of weeks time!!

Clunk
23rd September 2011, 11:15 PM
so is another petty engine you've had to buy, or the real hum dinger one?

Bigrig
23rd September 2011, 11:28 PM
so is another petty engine you've had to buy, or the real hum dinger one?

Same one I bought the other week mate - just had some hiccups along the way, but it's full steam ahead now ..

Clunk
23rd September 2011, 11:30 PM
Same one I bought the other week mate - just had some hiccups along the way, but it's full steam ahead now ..

ahhhh great stuff, sorry but lost track of what's been happening since not being on as much!!!! hahahahaha

good to hear you're getting it all sorted though mate............... cant wait to see all the pics and vids of this beast in action

Bigrig
23rd September 2011, 11:39 PM
ahhhh great stuff, sorry but lost track of what's been happening since not being on as much!!!! hahahahaha

good to hear you're getting it all sorted though mate............... cant wait to see all the pics and vids of this beast in action

Thanks mate - I'm a bit anxious, but same goes, I can't wait!!!!

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 06:36 PM
Well, one more sleep and Tank goes under the knife ... bit worried, but he's in capable hands ...

Took some happy snaps of the rear end flex today when dhuck and I moved my camper ... wow was an understatement as I pushed it nearly to the limit (still has more to go, but worried the spring is close to popping!!). Just on the back wall at my joint, but as you can see, it does the trick!!

Enjoy and I'll update once the transplant is complete.

Dark 1
25th September 2011, 06:48 PM
Wow you got your own rock crawling track in your backyard Scotty you are a committed 4 wheeler aren't you?

Clunk
25th September 2011, 06:49 PM
looks good mate.............. on another note, did you end up getting those one pice frameless rear windows?

Ben-e-boy
25th September 2011, 06:53 PM
I love Flex..... If your worried about the spring falling out, Go to the steel supplies before the working bee get a meter of 10mm solid round bar ( couple of bucks) and I'll knock you up some drop out cones same as mine at the working bee and (i'll ask this week ) I may be able to get u a deal on coil retainers. but give me a couple of days

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 07:04 PM
looks good mate.............. on another note, did you end up getting those one pice frameless rear windows?

They'll be the week after next mate - will post an update on them also.

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 07:05 PM
I love Flex..... If your worried about the spring falling out, Go to the steel supplies before the working bee get a meter of 10mm solid round bar ( couple of bucks) and I'll knock you up some drop out cones same as mine at the working bee and (i'll ask this week ) I may be able to get u a deal on coil retainers. but give me a couple of days

You're a good boy!!! Will do ...

Ben-e-boy
25th September 2011, 07:23 PM
make sure you bring a welder. Do you have electrodes?? I have 16tc's have you used that type of elctrode before

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 07:26 PM
make sure you bring a welder. Do you have electrodes?? I have 16tc's have you used that type of elctrode before

Bringing the welder, but edumacate me on the electrodes?

Ben-e-boy
25th September 2011, 07:33 PM
Bringing the welder, but edumacate me on the electrodes?

long story short professional welders use 16tc. they do everything except verticle down. I got mine from a boilermaker because I fixed his grinder and I started to learn to weld with them they are a prick to weld with until you get the knack. macca86 should be able to back me up on this

Clunk
25th September 2011, 07:51 PM
They'll be the week after next mate - will post an update on them also.

ahhhhh good stuff

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 07:58 PM
long story short professional welders use 16tc. they do everything except verticle down. I got mine from a boilermaker because I fixed his grinder and I started to learn to weld with them they are a prick to weld with until you get the knack. macca86 should be able to back me up on this

I'll have to have a squiz ... thanks mate

growler2058
25th September 2011, 08:10 PM
Mate been waiting for this for a while ay!! Bet ur all tingly in anticipation hahahahahhahaha I am hahahahha well lookin forward to the pics N vid with sound :-)

EDIT; And Like ur flex too hahaha

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 08:49 PM
Mate been waiting for this for a while ay!! Bet ur all tingly in anticipation hahahahahhahaha I am hahahahha well lookin forward to the pics N vid with sound :-)

EDIT; And Like ur flex too hahaha

Cheers champion - feel like an expectant father!!! lmao. Very nerve racking ...

NissanGQ4.2
25th September 2011, 10:24 PM
Took some happy snaps of the rear end flex today when dhuck and I moved my camper

Sorry mate, I've just been reading the new VSI-50 regs, sorry 2 say this but u will need 2 rip that suspension out and lower it just enough that you can't drive over a speed hump without damaging your bull bar......and also I might just point out....... your not aloud black rims with black tyres now either....... them the rules mate sorry, its 2011 now and u have 2 keep up with fashion

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 10:25 PM
Sorry mate, I've just been reading the new VSI-50 regs, sorry 2 say this but u will need 2 rip that suspension out and lower it just enough that you can't drive over a speed hump without damaging your bull bar......and also I might just point out....... your not aloud black rims with black tyres now either....... them the rules mate sorry, its 2011 now and u have 2 keep up with fashion

I've never been one for following trends!! lmao

But thanks for keeping me up to date fella!!!

NissanGQ4.2
25th September 2011, 10:39 PM
I've never been one for following trends!! lmao

But thanks for keeping me up to date fella!!!

hahahaha either am I *LMAO* love the flex shots mate

frenzy
25th September 2011, 10:41 PM
Massive flex there mate! Is that the same suspension you had a Scenic Rim?

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 10:44 PM
hahahaha either am I *LMAO* love the flex shots mate

Thanks brother ... only thing now is I want more!!!! lmao

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 10:46 PM
Massive flex there mate! Is that the same suspension you had a Scenic Rim?

Sure is boss - just didn't get a real chance to flex it up out there ... that said, now I know it's travel, I'll be pushing it at the Springs trip!!!

Bigrig
26th September 2011, 07:47 AM
Well, today's the day! Fingers crossed and I'll provide an update on progress when I get back on Wednesday!

Good luck Tank!!

growler2058
26th September 2011, 08:00 AM
Your abandoning tank during his heart transplant???????????????? Your a hard man Scotty haahhhahaha

patch697
26th September 2011, 01:04 PM
The next thing we'll be reading is how he needs someone drive him around as he's done he's ticket........ ( I really bloody hope not )

Stay off that "GO" pedal Bigus........ I know you'll be temped cos I was...................hahahahahahahaha

Bigrig
26th September 2011, 01:28 PM
The next thing we'll be reading is how he needs someone drive him around as he's done he's ticket........ ( I really bloody hope not )

Stay off that "GO" pedal Bigus........ I know you'll be temped cos I was...................hahahahahahahaha

Haha ... she'll be right old mate ... nice and easy till it settles in ...

Then I'm gunna drive it like I stole it to test it out!!!!! lmao

patch697
26th September 2011, 01:52 PM
Haha ... she'll be right old mate ... nice and easy till it settles in ...

Then I'm gunna drive it like I stole it to test it out!!!!! lmao

How long were you hopping to keep it in?????..........................

No driving it like you stole it............ Conservative, Conservative, Conservative.

You hate me now don't you.....................hahahahahahahahahaha

Bigrig
27th September 2011, 07:48 PM
Couple of update shots (just pulled in on my way back from the airport).

Bonnet off

Getting stripped (broken engine mount also was found!!).

And the "hire" car Derek gave me!!!! Uggghhhhh ....

DX grunt
27th September 2011, 07:50 PM
Oh what a feeling!! hahahaha. Better than Shanks's Pony. lol

patch697
27th September 2011, 07:52 PM
And the "hire" car Derek gave me!!!! Uggghhhhh ....

Oh thats just simply cruel ................................. hahahahahahaha

& you trust this guy working on Tank?????.....................lol

Tell him I said he has a very very bent sense of humor.......................hahahahahahah

Bigrig
27th September 2011, 08:05 PM

Tell him I said he has a very very bent sense of humor.......................hahahahahahah

Haha ... will do ... I told him it was good that he wanted me to hit "rock bottom" before I stepped back into the "top of the range"!!! lmfao

growler2058
27th September 2011, 08:06 PM
HAHAHAAHAHHAHA thats pi55 funny better take it out with on a dhuck tour hahahahahahaha

patch697
27th September 2011, 08:47 PM
HAHAHAAHAHHAHA thats pi55 funny better take it out with on a dhuck tour hahahahahahaha

Its probably the only way dhuck will be able to stay in front im tipping...................hahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahaha

Dhuck
27th September 2011, 08:52 PM
No Tank will go better than the pigtrol on road but I will not concede defeat on the dirt.

patch697
27th September 2011, 08:53 PM
No Tank will go better than the pigtrol on road but I will not concede defeat on the dirt.

Oh yes you will Dhucky...... Yes you will.......................hahahahahahahahahahahah ahahaha

AB
27th September 2011, 08:57 PM
hahahaha....How do you feel driving around in that Scotty...lol

Bloody traders...LMAO

growler2058
27th September 2011, 09:00 PM

Sounds like a HUGE challenge comin on WOO HOO

Dark 1
27th September 2011, 09:12 PM

I agree with patch here ........ this guy is "EEEVILLLL".
Good luck with her mate he'll be a weapon after tho.

Bigrig
27th September 2011, 09:51 PM

Teamwork dhuck ... don't let them niggle you old mate!! We get through everything 'together' because of teamwork!!!!!

That said, there's no doubt Tank is nipping at Pigtrol's heels!!! lmao

Bigrig
27th September 2011, 09:53 PM
hahahaha....How do you feel driving around in that Scotty...lol

Bloody traders...LMAO

It's super comfy!! That has a lot to do with the awful handling which provides awesome sponginess, and 0-100 in it is something to behold ... so long as the hundred zone is a few kilometres long to allow me to reach it!!!!! lmfao

Bigrig
28th September 2011, 07:12 PM
Small update - engine out and all the main swap over items on the new engine ... will be in and a slim chance turning over by tomorrow night!!!

Made an executive decision also - going to petrol still, but going to put a small 40 litre reserve LPG tank on it (giving me 188 litres on board, and bit of redundancy should I have problems with either fuel supply).

Empty engine bay!!! You should see how high the front end sits!! 290mm from top of tyre to bottom of plastic flare!! Me thinks a 6-7" lift would be appropriate!!! lmao)

The man himself - smiling even below that bald patch!!!! lol. Hope he remembers which engine is which!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
28th September 2011, 07:34 PM
while there is easy access can I borrow your oil pump cover long term please????? *L*

Bigrig
28th September 2011, 08:20 PM
while there is easy access can I borrow your oil pump cover long term please????? *L*

When you say "long term", is that like 3 days or 4 days??!! lol

NissanGQ4.2
28th September 2011, 10:12 PM
When you say "long term", is that like 3 days or 4 days??!! lol

more like 30 or 40 years mate, about 440-460bucks brand new for the oil pump housing!!!!!

Bigrig
28th September 2011, 11:17 PM
more like 30 or 40 years mate, about 440-460bucks brand new for the oil pump housing!!!!!

Crikey ... let me suss it out tomorrow ... if I have a spare, we'll come to an agreement - probably beer!! lol

Bigrig
28th September 2011, 11:27 PM
The plan as it stands:

1. The 'new' motor in and running LPG only, the EFI manifold, an adaptor kit from Gas Research to use the EFI manifold and TPS, my dizzy, and assorted other goodies off my current engine installed on this also.
2. Work out conversion to petrol (bigger injectors primarily) and remove 90 litre LPG tank in rear and replace with long ranger 148 litre petrol tank, with 40 litre LPG tank to go under the drivers side where the old sub tank resided (at this point, turbo and running dual fuel).
3. Air to water intercooler install (at this point turbo, intercooled, and dual fuel).
4. Rebuild my current engine's bottom end only and install down the track (now have spare everything just about to keep for a rainy day).

End result - turbo charged, intercooled, fully rebuilt TB42 punching out about 220-230 kw's at the rear wheels, carrying 188 litres of usable fuel.

Fingers firmly crossed!!!

DX grunt
29th September 2011, 12:12 AM
More importantly.....How's the Tojo going? lol

nowoolies
29th September 2011, 12:36 AM

Rossco sir such profanities ...family forum hahahahahahahahah

Bigrig
29th September 2011, 12:40 AM

Thinking about keeping it ... heaps better than the patrol ...

Bwah, hahahahahahahahahaha ....

Not on your life!!!!!

nowoolies
29th September 2011, 12:43 AM

Not on your life!!!!!

too much sun i see lol

Dark 1
29th September 2011, 08:09 AM

Not on your life!!!!!

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT SCOTTY!!!!!
I even had to think about buying one [ a cruiser] as i'm concerned the troll can't handle the house behind it. We will see what doctor simon says today...........or if i could find a troll with a v8 oooohhh "V8"...........we'll have to see.

Bigrig
29th September 2011, 02:43 PM
No photos, but the engine is in!!! Most stuff connected, but the throttle body/gas carby causing some headaches .. getting an adaptor made up for the turbo to lift it up a bit to make the plumbing easier and avoid fouling the air con lines, and fingers crossed, should be kicking over tomorrow ...

Oh, and it will run as such with the petrol setup as it is (problem when boosting up) but if these injectors Jason found are the ticket, then it's well and truly on the right track.

Here's to success!!! And a mighty fine transplant for Tank!!!

growler2058
29th September 2011, 04:23 PM
Good luck Biggus hope the plan comes together I love it when A plan comes together hahahahha

Like the new avatar hahahahha

NissanGQ4.2
29th September 2011, 04:25 PM
Crikey ... let me suss it out tomorrow ... if I have a spare, we'll come to an agreement - probably beer!! lol

no beer for you mate, my old man got an email of wholesale automatic yesterday arvo after i spoke 2 him, saying the parts we ordered were dispatched, turned up 2day and there was a pump housing, dad said it looks right :) so fingers crossed it bolts up

Thanks anyway

Ben-e-boy
29th September 2011, 05:45 PM
WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT SCOTTY!!!!!
I even had to think about buying one [ a cruiser] as i'm concerned the troll can't handle the house behind it. We will see what doctor simon says today...........or if i could find a troll with a v8 oooohhh "V8"...........we'll have to see.

you are in good hands with doctor simon

Ben-e-boy
29th September 2011, 05:47 PM
I cant wait to see this. I cant wait for the ninth

frenzy
29th September 2011, 07:59 PM
What do you mean no piccies!!!!!!!!!

keep us posted mate.

Bigrig
29th September 2011, 08:17 PM
What do you mean no piccies!!!!!!!!!

keep us posted mate.

In all the excitement, I kinda forgot!!

Clunk
29th September 2011, 08:23 PM

Now that's just blooming well slack mate!!!!!!! Pml

AB
29th September 2011, 08:23 PM

Have to ask mate, where the hell did you find that Avatar...LMAO

Clunk
29th September 2011, 08:33 PM
Have to ask mate, where the hell did you find that Avatar...LMAO

Found it in a Xmas cracker mate!!! Lol

Sorry gotta support your team when the world cup is on ...... Isn't it boyo!!??

Bigrig
29th September 2011, 09:23 PM
Found it in a Xmas cracker mate!!! Lol

Sorry gotta support your team when the world cup is on ...... Isn't it boyo!!??

I think he meant me!!! lmao

If you did mean me, I just found it on the good ole world wide web ...

Clunk
29th September 2011, 09:25 PM
I think he meant me!!! lmao

If you did mean me, I just found it on the good ole world wide web ...

Hahaha oh yeah....... Stupid Tappa Crappa lmao

Bigrig
3rd October 2011, 08:50 PM
Still a bit to sort out, but it's getting there. Engine is in and running, but having a few problems that will hopefully be sorted over the coming days - neat installation job as per below and hopefully with the issues ironed out, I can get out and test it!!

nowoolies
3rd October 2011, 08:56 PM
SWEEEEEET AS mate

Silver
3rd October 2011, 09:04 PM
Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

growler2058
3rd October 2011, 09:06 PM
Excellent........can't wait ta hear him at full volume on the dyno mate

Bigrig
3rd October 2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks lads - it's still a way off, but got it home tonight and goes back later this week. Pinging in high revs, not working with the idle control connected, and auto is not playing nicely ... but even at a mild 6psi, it is getting up and boogying!!

patch697
3rd October 2011, 09:45 PM
Great to see it in & going....

I can see by the pics theirs still a ways to go but its a starting point non the less.

Bigrig
5th October 2011, 09:13 PM
Well, it's not finished by a long shot, but the engine has breathed to life and is pulling pretty hard - I'll get some video up in the coming day or so.

Still have to tweak it somewhat, and cool it somehow (thinking water/methanol injection), but it's getting there. The old engine is going to be fully rebuilt, decompressed and dropped in down the track once everything else is sorted, so I'm some way away from a fire breather, but heaps better than previous (especially the torque).

A bajillion thanks to Patch for all his insite and assistance - you're a star mate and I can't thank you enough. Special mention to Tony (YNOT) also for input and assistance throughout the process.

Maxhead
5th October 2011, 09:17 PM
Well, it's not finished by a long shot, but the engine has breathed to life and is pulling pretty hard - I'll get some video up in the coming day or so.

Still have to tweak it somewhat, and cool it somehow (thinking water/methanol injection), but it's getting there. The old engine is going to be fully rebuilt, decompressed and dropped in down the track once everything else is sorted, so I'm some way away from a fire breather, but heaps better than previous (especially the torque).

A bajillion thanks to Patch for all his insite and assistance - you're a star mate and I can't thank you enough. Special mention to Tony (YNOT) also for input and assistance throughout the process.

Mate, shoot me but I haven't been following your thread lately,,,,What have you put in your truck.....too lazy to read 6470045 pages sorry matr

Bigrig
5th October 2011, 09:25 PM
Mate, shoot me but I haven't been following your thread lately,,,,What have you put in your truck.....too lazy to read 6470045 pages sorry matr

Hahaha ... was going to print the thread off and make a coffee table magazine, then thought a full size hard cover, now I'm thinking a series of books like Harry Potter or something!!!! lmao

Stuck in another TB42 with a turbo and a few other goodies .. probably getting (very much estimated) about 40% increase in power and torque at the moment on only 6-7 lb boost ... when it's all said and done, should be looking at 200+ kw's at the rear wheels and about 800nm of torque ...

Fun and games boss, fun and games!!!

Back to the Xbox!!!

spoty_4
9th October 2011, 06:34 PM
Hey Bigrig. Your truck is simply a work of art. I understand that it has a 3" suspension lift is there a body lift of any sort? Also what size tyres are you running? Thanks

Bigrig
9th October 2011, 06:39 PM
Hey Bigrig. Your truck is simply a work of art. I understand that it has a 3" suspension lift is there a body lift of any sort? Also what size tyres are you running? Thanks

G'day mate - many thanks for the kind words!!!

Running a 5" lift with 33" Maxxis Bighorn muddies ... and a few other goodies of course!!! No body lift and to be honest, not considering one ... but stranger things have happened!! lmao

Engine is my priority at the moment with turbo already in and the intercooler going in on Tuesday ...

spoty_4
9th October 2011, 07:45 PM
G'day mate - many thanks for the kind words!!!

Running a 5" lift with 33" Maxxis Bighorn muddies ... and a few other goodies of course!!! No body lift and to be honest, not considering one ... but stranger things have happened!! lmao

Engine is my priority at the moment with turbo already in and the intercooler going in on Tuesday ...

Hi Bigrig. I think your username will have to change to "massiverig" soon.

I was talking about the lift and tyres on it in this pic http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=863&d=1290157615

Do you use your tank daily? If so how is the road noise with the mud tyres?

Bigrig
9th October 2011, 08:08 PM
Hi Bigrig. I think your username will have to change to "massiverig" soon.

I was talking about the lift and tyres on it in this pic http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=863&d=1290157615

Do you use your tank daily? If so how is the road noise with the mud tyres?

Lordy that was a long time ago mate (about 8 months ago!! lmao!!!).

It looks more like this now ... just missing the sliders that are now on ...

Used as the daily driver mate - noise isn't too bad at all - I guess it's relative to what you're wanting .. if you want the benefit of mud tyres, the offset is wear and noise on the open road.

spoty_4
10th October 2011, 02:35 PM
looks super tough dude. Is it an Auto or Manual? is it much slower now with all the mods? also any ideas or fuel consumption?

Bigrig
10th October 2011, 05:46 PM
looks super tough dude. Is it an Auto or Manual? is it much slower now with all the mods? also any ideas or fuel consumption?

Thanks mate - it's an auto. Didn't notice a big difference with the weight as far as power was concerned, but economy took a hit though. It's taken a worse hit now that I've had the other TB42 with turbo put in!!! Plenty more power and torque though, so somewhat happy with the offset on economy. Running straight LPG currently, but fuel system still in it (just no petrol tank).

Bigrig
18th October 2011, 08:12 PM
Update - nothing overly exciting for others to see, but bloody nerve wracking for me!!! lol

Intercooler going in and some major modifying of panel work and custom mounts happening ... I'll update more as it progresses ...

Some of the 43 pieces of pipe being used to be welded together!!! No joke!!!

Hopefully the colder intake air will let a bit more play be had with the timing etc and we'll see what it's throwing out next week when it gets fully dyno'd and tuned ...

growler2058
18th October 2011, 08:19 PM
Can't wAit mate pump that puppy :)

Bigrig
18th October 2011, 08:24 PM
Can't wAit mate pump that puppy :)

Me either mate - its running 'fairly' well currently, but with the intercooler, proper mapping of the timing curve and some tuning, it should be giving a few rice burners a bit of a shock!!! lmao

Bigrig
19th October 2011, 08:05 PM
Well, the intercooler is in and Tank breathed to life late today!!! Unfortunately, the radiator decided it had enough of these temporary fixes to leaks and really let go!! New alloy number going in tomorrow and the front end going back together (as well as some serious tuning).

Oh ... and took some time out of my hectic schedule to "fix" a Toyota that was in the workshop beside Tank ... should be all fine now!!! lmao

Not exactly a lot of room left for the dual battery system hey??!!! lol

Grill has copped some MAJOR plastic surgery, so hopefully what I've done (drying overnight ... eeeeekkkk) will turn out OK and I'll leave the opinion up to you when I get some photos ... it's pretty full on!!!

NissanGQ4.2
19th October 2011, 08:14 PM
looking good mate :), so when are yo going 2 have a go at a gearbox rebuild???? *L*

Bigrig
19th October 2011, 08:18 PM
looking good mate :), so when are yo going 2 have a go at a gearbox rebuild???? *L*

Haha - did that with Jase (Peacemaker) on his!!

How far along are you now?? Isn't your old boy a mechanic?? Wish I was closer old mate, as I love that stuff!!

NissanGQ4.2
19th October 2011, 08:29 PM

How far along are you now?? Isn't your old boy a mechanic?? Wish I was closer old mate, as I love that stuff!!

Been back on road since last Wednesday :) My Old man was a Diesel Mechanic, had his own business ( partnership ) working on trucks, but one day he was sitting down on a milk create working on a truck, leaned over 2 pick up a tool and his back went on him in a big way, hasn't worked since, gave ( not sold! ) nearly all his tools 2 his partner and walked away from the partnership :(

NissanGQ4.2
19th October 2011, 08:30 PM

does Jase have a write up on the rebuild?

AB
19th October 2011, 08:33 PM
Looking the goods mate, getting crammed in there...LMAO

Bigrig
19th October 2011, 08:39 PM
Been back on road since last Wednesday :) My Old man was a Diesel Mechanic, had his own business ( partnership ) working on trucks, but one day he was sitting down on a milk create working on a truck, leaned over 2 pick up a tool and his back went on him in a big way, hasn't worked since, gave ( not sold! ) nearly all his tools 2 his partner and walked away from the partnership :(

Oh ... and ... Oh ... lmao

Sorry to hear about the old boy mate. Glad it's back on the road though (assuming there's more to do?).

Bigrig
19th October 2011, 08:40 PM
Looking the goods mate, getting crammed in there...LMAO

Too right fella!!! Like a 'toadstool' now ... you know ... not 'mushroom'!!!! lmao

growler2058
19th October 2011, 08:42 PM
Far out looks like someones good at plumbing hahahahahahahaha starting to resemble something youd find on a race track!! Looks very cooool

NissanGQ4.2
19th October 2011, 08:46 PM
Oh ... and ... Oh ... lmao

Sorry to hear about the old boy mate. Glad it's back on the road though (assuming there's more to do?).

Tappets need adjusting.... power windows need sorting out....think the aircon bearing needs replacing....the list goes on and on and on!!!! *L*

Think its about time I start loving my rig and give it some much needed TLC

Bigrig
19th October 2011, 09:29 PM
Far out looks like someones good at plumbing hahahahahahahaha starting to resemble something youd find on a race track!! Looks very cooool

Wait till you see the grill !!!! It's got what I like to call "a little bit of Scotty" in it!!!!! lmao

Bigrig
19th October 2011, 09:32 PM
Think its about time I start loving my rig and give it some much needed TLC

Don't do that!!!!! That's what I did, and it never bloody ends from there!!!!! lmao

Bigrig
20th October 2011, 11:00 AM
Obviously bullbar still has to move into place, but thoughts on the cosmetic surgery on the grill???

Blue, silver and red were the only colours they had - choice was obvious. This wasn't planned by the way - the cooler pipes came out too far and the grill had to be severely cut back ... pieces below ...

patch697
20th October 2011, 11:37 AM
Obviously bullbar still has to move into place, but thoughts on the cosmetic surgery on the grill???

Blue, silver and red were the only colours they had - choice was obvious. This wasn't planned by the way - the cooler pipes came out too far and the grill had to be severely cut back ... pieces below ...

Looks good like that anyway old mate...... I might have to pinch your idea for the Mav.

growler2058
20th October 2011, 12:56 PM
Sh1t yeah im with Paul looks good may try somethin similar

Yendor
20th October 2011, 01:01 PM
Looking good Scotty, you can never have too much bling.

Bigrig
20th October 2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks lads!!! Bullbar fitted and a couple of shots ... turbo boost controller fitted so hopefully with 9 or 10 pounds he should be hauling!! Fixed the dizzy also - superb!!!

Silver
20th October 2011, 07:18 PM
looking good, sounding better and driving great I hope :-)

Bigrig
29th November 2011, 06:55 AM
Well, been a while since an update, and quite frankly the longest single period in 15 months that Tank has had nothing done to it!! Poor thing!!! lmao

Soooo .. organised a Mako 12000lb winch with dyneema rope and remote/cordless control from the boys at Torq4x4 and will have that fitted in the coming weeks if it will go on the bar - appears I haven't left much room doing the intercooler and pipe work, so it may not fit. That said, if not, the guy who did the bar reckons he did the mounts a bit "too close" anyway, and is going to build me a new one for the balance of sale on mine! Not bad service.

New heavy duty valve body for the auto box, temp controller and manual torque converter lockup switch go in over the coming weeks also, so that should sort out the flaring and change issues created since the turbo went in.

After that, a fuel tank goes back in (bigger injectors, and new ECU also) and then off to the dyno he goes - and hopefully he'll have power to burn!!

I'm still stuck on getting a 6" spring and throwing 35's on it as well - and that'll come with some upgraded diff gears (4.325:1) from Marks Adapters. But not until next year ...

That'll pretty much see out the 'large' ticket items and from there, new windows seals/rubbers all round, new front seats, door trims (thinking of doing thin checker plate?), and general TLC to the interior to get it ship shape.

Planning on entering into the Springs 4x4 Gymkhana competition in March, so want most of this sorted before then ... fingers crossed!!!

Sir Roofy
29th November 2011, 08:01 AM
scotty mate sounds very impressive indead but TANK COULD BE FEELING THE STRAIN there isnt a nut or bolt that hasnt been turned
where to next MONSTER TRUCKS poor TANK HE,S DONE YOU PROUD and still standing strong

Dozer
29th November 2011, 12:17 PM
very nice man, sounds like it will be a top unit once you have finished, only wish my warden would let me splash the cash on mine lol.

growler2058
29th November 2011, 01:14 PM
Been waiting a while to see that dyno print out mate, would be funny seeing you blow away some Toyota sport boy racer type thingo at the lights hahahahahahaha

Finly Owner
29th November 2011, 10:51 PM
TANK and checker plate are meant to be! Put some on the outside and will start to resemble a Hummer!

Tim

Bigrig
30th November 2011, 07:38 AM
TANK and checker plate are meant to be! Put some on the outside and will start to resemble a Hummer!

Tim

Ummm, the hummer look is not quite what I'm going for, but the door trims would look great I reckon - just thin stuff to keep weight at a minimum.

Hmmm ... might have a lash at it ...

Bigrig
30th November 2011, 08:10 AM
A snap from the weekend ... not an action shot, but I played with the contrasts etc as that stone entrance to the tour route was simply beautiful ... like going through a big gate to enter a paradise ... very nice ...

Definitely need a winch up front!! Looks bare without it! lol

Sir Roofy
30th November 2011, 08:18 AM
Looks like a must see place i lived up your way years ago
and never new about that place

Bigrig
30th November 2011, 08:21 AM
Looks like a must see place i lived up your way years ago
and never new about that place

Mate, I live here full time and never knew about it - was very pleasantly surprised .. very nice spot .. could imagine its a top winter getaway to spend a cold night by the fire, as well as in summer when the swimming opportunities (and good wet tracks) are in abundance ...

Sir Roofy
30th November 2011, 08:42 AM
See what happens when we get out and about with like minded ppl we see more and more of this beuatiful country
its so more satifying when sharing with friends

Bigrig
30th November 2011, 08:56 AM
See what happens when we get out and about with like minded ppl we see more and more of this beuatiful country
its so more satifying when sharing with friends

Too right fella!!!!

Bigrig
9th December 2011, 08:13 AM
Right, just to keep my gargantuan thread ticking along (lmao), this is the plan ... virtually going to be a new build process in its own right, and should take about 3-6 months.

1. Auto box valve body upgrade - December 2011 (includes manual torque lockup switch and temp gauges)
2. Winch - already ordered through Torq4x4 - December 2011
3. Petrol tank back in, new ECU, and bigger injectors - January 2012
4. 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws - January 2012 (thanks Benny!!!)
5. Full dyno and tuning - February 2012
6. 6" Off Road Boss springs and shocks, and drop arms (drop boxes going) - February 2012

That should see it ready for the comp in March ...

7. New seats (front) - whenever
8. New rear windows (solids) - January 2012
9. Full rebuild of the old engine, decompress and refit - when I can afford it
10. New rear bar - still haven't decided if I'll build or buy, but leaning towards build
11. Dual battery system - when I can afford it
12. A BIG facelift - a full respray/paint job ... when I can afford it

Hate the costs, but thoroughly enjoying the process of the continued change of direction for Tank. And yep, eventually it'll get to the point of it being de-registered and being a weekend warrior. Think I'm already pushing 'the friendship' with the boys in blue, so this would see a big target painted on the side I reckon ... then I can get another Patrol (street friendly) to tow it around!!!

Thinking of putting labelling/advertising on it for the forum, Torq4x4, AutoArt Mechanical, etc ... (not looking for sponsorship as such, just figure can't hurt to promote places that have taken care of me and get their names out there ...).

Airstrike
9th December 2011, 08:16 AM
Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it in comp. Are you selling the current lift kit and will you be selling the rear bar?

growler2058
9th December 2011, 08:21 AM
Are ya gunna keep the same colour?
Big lift needs big rubber 37's???

Bigrig
9th December 2011, 08:22 AM
Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it in comp. Are you selling the current lift kit and will you be selling the rear bar?

Rear bar is already taken as it were, but I'll be selling the springs, shocks and drop boxes (and braided brake lines).

Bigrig
9th December 2011, 08:24 AM
Are ya gunna keep the same colour?
Big lift needs big rubber 37's???

Haha ... nope ... at least not yet ... lol

Once it's heading more towards a weekend toy, I'll look at 37's as I'd want to get new diff gears by that stage also (probably 4.6:1) ...

Always wanted a "play thing" for the weekends, so fairly excited that I'm getting to that point .. them I'll be on the hunt for a good second hand TD42 ...

AB
9th December 2011, 08:25 AM
Mate, sounds awesome!

What kind of seats are you putting in?

Bigrig
9th December 2011, 08:27 AM

You reckon you guys will be able to make it out to the meet? Will be great fun I reckon - Dhuck will be up for a team entry I reckon so we should go ok with his truck involved, and thinking of registering Sandra's jeep for the three car technical challenge for a bit of fun also ...

Bigrig
9th December 2011, 08:28 AM
Mate, sounds awesome!

What kind of seats are you putting in?

Dunno boss - got Murray and Dave from Torq4x4 on the hunt for me also ... can't do Recaro or anything like that as my barge @rse won't fit, but there's got to be something that hasn't been tried yet that we can give a lash at!!!

Suggestions??

Airstrike
9th December 2011, 08:30 AM
You reckon you guys will be able to make it out to the meet? Will be great fun I reckon - Dhuck will be up for a team entry I reckon so we should go ok with his truck involved, and thinking of registering Sandra's jeep for the three car technical challenge for a bit of fun also ...

Yeah going anyways brother in law is sponsored.

Bigrig
9th December 2011, 08:31 AM
Yeah going anyways brother in law is sponsored.

Awesome mate!! Has he gotten back to you about the camper??

Airstrike
9th December 2011, 08:33 AM
nope lol I will call him today sorry had a lot of crap going on lately so I will get o top of it this morning. Hes due for the annual call.

Bigrig
9th December 2011, 08:34 AM
nope lol I will call him today sorry had a lot of crap going on lately so I will get o top of it this morning. Hes due for the annual call.

Haha ... Thanks mate!!

AB
9th December 2011, 08:35 AM
I think the VY commodore seats "almost" fit in...

Airstrike
9th December 2011, 08:37 AM
Yep VY and VZ