PDA

View Full Version : Changed the battery now car won't turn over

Stropp
1st December 2012, 01:43 AM
Hi guys more dramas, changed the battery and everything works but the car won't crank over??

I have checked some of the fuses but they look ok.

Robo
1st December 2012, 03:43 AM
wont turn over at all?
you have dash lights?

macca86
1st December 2012, 07:43 AM
Get too small a battery maybe

my third 256
1st December 2012, 08:07 AM
just had a look at the specs and it is only 675 cca where as the n70zz is 720cca
so i would agree with macca86 swap the batteries you have over so the auxilery is used as the main starter (thats the ones in the battery trays)
or link them togeather as you can do with the redark isolator 0r jumper leads
hope this makes sence

Stropp
1st December 2012, 12:22 PM
mine is a 710cca so should be ok and i spoke to the guys at cat and thats the one they sell for patrols, everything works but it wont crank at all??

megatexture
1st December 2012, 12:44 PM
from memory you need the N70ZZL as the N70ZZ has a reverse polarity so check you have the correct polarity. fingers crossed im wrong

Winnie
1st December 2012, 12:56 PM
Think you're right mega, mine was like that.

DIAL-A-TAP

Stropp
1st December 2012, 01:14 PM
I checked when i put it in, the polarity is correct, I have power to everything it just does nothing when i turn the key to start, glow light goes out has lights stereo but wont crank at all, when i get home i will take the battery connections again and make sure the little relay contacts are clean and getting a good contact, cant be much else.

HippoNZ
1st December 2012, 02:39 PM
There is a fuse from memory its 35amp red one that sits next to the battery in that black plastic case, which should be labelled starter, just double check it and make sure it hasn't blown. Mine being a safari it's 24v so could be different on a 12v.

johno90
1st December 2012, 05:37 PM
I dont know anything about patrol security but could your keys need reprograming?

Yendor
1st December 2012, 07:09 PM
Is your vehicle manual or automatic? if it's an auto, check if your reverse light is working.

Stropp
1st December 2012, 07:24 PM
Sorry guys 4.2 diesel 2004 manual, I have the rac coming out to look I can't find anything but I can hear a spark earthing so I think that is the problem

Stropp
1st December 2012, 07:39 PM
Ok the starter is farouted :( so its off to the auto sparky monday

megatexture
1st December 2012, 11:01 PM
Just bad timing :/ things break when you touch the car totally unrelated to the work you
Do and at no fault of your own and you pull your hair out trying to workout what you did lol

Rustyboner81
2nd December 2012, 12:10 AM
Chin up mate its only a starter. Annoying yes but it could have been a very exspencive electrical trouble shooting experience.

Couldve tried searching the net under either

-crank no start condition
Or
-no crank no start condition

I wouldve checked the man at ericthecarguy.com hes got some very handy videos.

Ben-e-boy
2nd December 2012, 12:10 AM
Sorry guys 4.2 diesel 2004 manual, I have the rac coming out to look I can't find anything but I can hear a spark earthing so I think that is the problem

did you find what caused the earthing

Stropp
2nd December 2012, 12:21 AM
The rac bloke says its the starter solenoid when under full load and the starter wasn't cranking

Robo
3rd December 2012, 01:14 AM
Solenoid ticking away and nothing else happening is usually a tell tail sign of poor battery or solenoid issues.
At least you have sorted out now.
Guessing the new battery has shown up a weak starter .
Not that uncommon

lorrieandjas
3rd December 2012, 12:18 PM
This is a common issue when a starter is on its last legs. Replace the battery (particularly a higher CCA rating) and they tend to go then. Might be worth posting that up as a sticky?

Jas

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 12:28 PM
Sounds dumb, but did you clean battery terminals with some scourer pad before fitting????? they are coated

Stropp
3rd December 2012, 06:30 PM
yed 3d checked for voltage at the other side of the relays and all good, just the starter by the look, getting replaced tomorrow.

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 06:40 PM
Cool not too bad then, they coat the battery terminals with some thin wax type coating, Brother in law auto lec makes heaps just cleaning them.

Stropp
6th December 2012, 12:10 PM
well the latest news, the brushes were stuck from corrosion inside the starter, this troll belonged to dept of fisheries originally so i expect that was the cause of the rust, the body inside and the windings were salt water damaged as well so new starter and i will look at cleaning up the old starter and replacing the brushes myself to use as a spare, the auto sparky is also changing the aircon compressor bearing while he is at it, one of the few that will do it or should i say can be bothered to do it.

threedogs
6th December 2012, 04:01 PM
Oh nice hand pass Stropp, nothing to do with any of the bog holes or sloppy tracks you have over there, I say dropping the ball free kick against you.lol
Now I'd be buying a few cans of LANOTEC and spraying the all get out of those hard to get spots and terminals, good product highly recommend

Stropp
7th December 2012, 12:55 AM
Well it's all done and its much better now, the bearing replacement on the ac compressor was way cheaper than replacing the compressor.

Clunk
7th December 2012, 01:24 AM
Good to hear Stropp, glad you got it sorted

DX grunt
7th December 2012, 01:36 AM
Are you with HBF?

Sorry, I'm in one of those moods. lol

Stropp
7th December 2012, 01:57 AM
Are you with HBF?

No mate medibank private, lol

Clunk
7th December 2012, 01:59 AM
Are you with HBF?

Jeez and you're on about me hijacking threads!!!!!!! Hahaha

nissannewby
12th December 2012, 03:50 PM
Hows the new battery go there stropp?

Stropp
12th December 2012, 04:01 PM
Hows the new battery go there stropp?

mate she fires like a beauty now, good thing thanks.