PDA

View Full Version : My front Swivel hub assembly HELP!

patchy
30th November 2012, 03:08 PM
Hi everyone, I am currently replacing all seals and bearing on both my front wheels. I have a 1989 safari GQ but it i think i have a GU setup. I am missing the stepped washer sitting on the valve in the 6th picture down in this old thread(http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=join‏). This is how my hub looks.I cannot pick one up this washer anywhere. Would it be ok to reassemle without it? any ideas on where to get one? I am a novice and jumpoed straight into the deep end!

nissannewby
30th November 2012, 03:28 PM
It's not still attached to the hub drive gear by chance is it?

MudRunnerTD
30th November 2012, 03:47 PM
That is commonly known as "Egg Ring".

Have another look at that thread, see the first pic. Do you have manual Locking hubs like that first pic or big black Auto Locking hubs with "Auto" and "Lock" on it? If you have the Auto hubs then you wont have the Egg Ring?

MudRunnerTD
30th November 2012, 03:49 PM
Have a look at this drawing

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20gauges%20and%20stuff/Screenshot2011-08-14at103139AM.png

patchy
30th November 2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. So this is the order in which everything came off. I do have manual hubs, its not still attached to the drive gear and in the diagram i can see the piece i am missing on the 'manual locking hub assembly' part of the diagram. I am in Broome and cannot get anything here. Have checked all mechanics, breakers yards, and fabricators but nothing. The question is will it be ok without it.

Thanks for the help

MudRunnerTD
30th November 2012, 06:32 PM
You should be able to get one from a wrecker over in the east or even straight from Nissan now you know what it is.

Thinking about its importance.... It is used by the Hub. If your not going into 4wd the. You will be fine. F you need 4wd I reckon you will be fine too but not sure you will be a me to disengage the hubs??

MudRunnerTD
2nd December 2012, 12:12 PM
Replacing my CVs for an extreme trip this weekend and this is the back of the hub for you interest. See that the part you need is stuck in the back of the hub

Then I cracked it and released.

Looking at your pic it looks like the top hub has something still in the back of it?

The bottom lay out certainly is missing the part. It is the hub retainer. Your hubs will be compromised but your car will be drivable I reckon. Just avoid 4wd until you have the part mate.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nissannewby
2nd December 2012, 03:32 PM
It looks like your missing a circlip MR the hub drive gear should be retained on the axle by it. Unless I have looked at it wrong

MudRunnerTD
2nd December 2012, 03:38 PM
Yes your right Mat, the circlip had come off and fortunately was inside the hub. I stripped this after replacing it in the mud a few weeks ago and had it clicking as soon as I drove. Axle seal was shredded and long CV was knackered. Out she came and glad I did.

Just replaced both sides again!!! Think I am going those GU diffs mate! Keep smashing these damn it!

nissannewby
2nd December 2012, 04:16 PM
You can get away with just a front diff. And then keep on the search for your h260. I think the other issue with the 260's is getting a 4.6 ratio for them.

MudRunnerTD
2nd December 2012, 07:04 PM
Yeah I actually Don't want the H260 as I want to keep the 4.6s and air locker for a straight swap over. I will buy that pair in the next week or so and do the swap over over Christmas I reckon. Need to try and do a deal with the guy for a GU steering box and rear sway bar off the same car too

Front end all back together now all washed out and replaced so should get me through next weekend.

patchy
3rd December 2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the pics, in my picture it is the spacer that is still stuck in the hub, i have to work out how to get it out without damaging anything! Will use your picture as a guide and hopefully i can pick two of these up locally or order them online.

Onca again thanks for the help

MudRunnerTD
3rd December 2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the pics, in my picture it is the spacer that is still stuck in the hub, i have to work out how to get it out without damaging anything! Will use your picture as a guide and hopefully i can pick two of these up locally or order them online.

Onca again thanks for the help

Pair of pliers and just jiggle one side then the other and it should pull straight out.

While your apart like that are you going to put a front end kit through it too?

patchy
3rd December 2012, 04:38 PM
So after some persistance at the local Nissan dealership i have managed to get the bushings ordered :) $50 each though sounds a bit expensive? Also i in my manual hub i can tilt the driven clutch back and forth with my fingers, is this normal? See picture look at the 'clutch assy' this is the piece i mean.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/1.jpg

MudRunnerTD
3rd December 2012, 04:59 PM
when the hub is unlocked you can push that into the hub and it should feel kind of spring loaded..

$50 each sounds Insane!! Give Patrol-a-part a call for a better price mate

Check this link

nissan-patrol-free-wheeling-hub-step-ring (http://www.patrolapart.com.au/product/hub-nut-kits-sockets/nissan-patrol-free-wheeling-hub-step-ring/)