PDA

View Full Version : Blanking plate... How to remove.

Coldcomfort
28th November 2012, 08:00 PM
Hi all, I installed the wiring for the driving lights today. All went very smoothly until I found myself trying to get the blanking plate out that sits beside the rear air con switch and the sub tank pump switch. Is there a trick? Maybe I'm just thick or something??? I have tried levering at it with a small flat blade scew driver and sliding in a very thin piece of steel, but it doesn't budge. My next thoughts are to drill a hole it the centre of it and see what holds it in!!!

threedogs
28th November 2012, 08:03 PM
What are you driving?????

Coldcomfort
28th November 2012, 08:16 PM
Sorry, its a 2012 wagon. ST. The switch's are just below the air con controls.

russ81
28th November 2012, 08:47 PM
The switch blanks are held in by a screw if I remember correctly, you have to remove the panel to get to the back, I'm pretty sure you have to remove the plastic console from around your gear shifter first.

Sent while temporally motionless

megatexture
28th November 2012, 09:08 PM
I've taken mine out with a long skinny screwdriver x2 but it was a pain in the a$$ but got them without removing any trims

Coldcomfort
1st December 2012, 03:01 PM
Got the blank plate out this morning. The only way to get it out is to drill it out. I used a 2mm drill bit like a routing tool. I sliced the plate in half and it just fell out. Looking at the design of these things it is obvous that they cannot be prized out with a screw driver with out lots of force. On a side note the wiring loom from light force is perfect for the patrol. It almost like its designed for it!!

MudRunnerTD
1st December 2012, 08:27 PM
On a side note the wiring loom from light force is perfect for the patrol. It almost like its designed for it!!

It probably was ;)

megatexture
1st December 2012, 10:52 PM
Got the blank plate out this morning. The only way to get it out is to drill it out. I used a 2mm drill bit like a routing tool. I sliced the plate in half and it just fell out. Looking at the design of these things it is obvous that they cannot be prized out with a screw driver with out lots of force. On a side note the wiring loom from light force is perfect for the patrol. It almost like its designed for it!!

You didn't try hard enough lol;)