PDA

View Full Version : TD 42 motor clacking and knocking

Kristofer go
28th November 2012, 04:34 PM
Hello mates!

I have a 1991 Patrol that has served me well over the years. I have changed filters and oil frequently and maintained her well. Recently though I have had some clacking and knocking noise (pretty loud) coming from the engine. Also, there has been an increase of stinky smoke and reduced power. When it idles it sometimes has an irregular lull in its rhythm. The noise comes and goes. I took the fuel tank out and drained it. Refilled it with new fuel and diesel fuel injector cleaner. I changed a couple of the fuel hoses. I had her running great for about 4 weeks and now the problem is starting again. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

macca86
28th November 2012, 04:37 PM
When was your last injector and pump service

Sir Roofy
28th November 2012, 05:26 PM
Also try a new fuel filter

Diesel-Mate
28th November 2012, 07:48 PM
It sounds like your injector pump is getting tired, I would get it overhauled and get new injectors or have them tested.

MudRunnerTD
28th November 2012, 10:45 PM
Start with Injector before pulling the pump off. Big Bucks to do the pump so try everything else first. Fuel filter, Air Filter, Injectors then pump. If you get to the pump then time to think about giving it a Tickle while its on the bench ;) Most of the cost is getting it to the bench! you might as well go to a 11 or 12mm plunger and get her cooking a little....Hell Yeah!

Kristofer go
30th November 2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. I will check the injectors and then the pump. My options for the pump is to buy a new one or to have it overhauled. I am not sure if they can overhaul it here in Honduras. They did tell me that we could send the injectors off to a "lab" to have them cleaned and calibrated. How would you know if the pump is shot? What causes the really loud clacking noise with malfunctioning injectors/injector pump? If I continue driving my car like this could I really damage my motor? At least the noise is not constant (for now) and mostly is not present but the lack of power and stinky smoke has been constant these past few days. Thanks again to all for sharing your knowledge!

Kristofer go
30th November 2012, 04:02 PM
MudrunnerTD, So if I have to change the pump, you recommend a certain brand or type with a 12mm plunger? Would that give me more power?

Thanks,
Kristofer

Kristofer go
10th December 2012, 01:00 AM
Well, I have changed the fuel filter and have been buying diesel from a reputable seller. My problem began as I was trying to save some money buying diesel from a cheaper source. The engine is no longer knocking and clacking. I also have had good results from mixing a small amount of two cycle oil (mineral based) in with my diesel. I will probably continue this as a monthly routine from now on. She still puts out the white/grayish smoke but it is not clacking and knocking anymore. If the noise problem returns I will have the injectors checked and the injector pump replaced.

Sir Roofy
10th December 2012, 06:05 AM
thanks for the update hope it works out ok

Kristofer go
5th March 2013, 02:20 PM
I changed the injectors today and she is running like a champ now. Problem solved. Thanks mates, for your help!

Kristofer