PDA

View Full Version : High Pitched Alarm

Conradk
28th November 2012, 06:25 AM
This morning, on my way to work in the rain, I almost got stuck in a particularly muddy patch and had to quickly change down to low and put in the diff lock. Next thing this deafening high pitch alarm goes off but no warning lights on the dash. Got out the mud, went back to high and switched off the diff lock, but noise kept on for about another 30 seconds before it switched itself off for no apparent reason. I am at a total loss what the noise was all about. Anyone have any idea what this alarm is?

my third 256
28th November 2012, 07:01 AM
water in alarm system maybe

Yendor
28th November 2012, 03:41 PM
On the Y61 with a factory fitted diff lock there is an overspeed alarm.

If the diff lock is engaged and the vehicle speed goes over 20km/h then the alarm sounds.

This might be what you heard.

MudRunnerTD
28th November 2012, 04:13 PM
This morning, on my way to work in the rain, I almost got stuck in a particularly muddy patch and had to quickly change down to low and put in the diff lock. ---- Got out the mud, went back to high and switched off the diff lock,

You commute sound like the Pits! :Yahoo!:

Conradk
28th November 2012, 11:51 PM
water in alarm system maybe

Sounds possible; got small water leak on the passenger side. Any idea where the alarm is located so that I can at least neutralise it if it does this again?

Conradk
29th November 2012, 12:33 AM
On the Y61 with a factory fitted diff lock there is an overspeed alarm.

If the diff lock is engaged and the vehicle speed goes over 20km/h then the alarm sounds.

This might be what you heard.
How does this alarm work? Does it only sound for the duration of the overspeed or does it have a timer? Reason I ask is that it continued to sound for a short while after I disengaged the diff lock.

Conradk
29th November 2012, 12:34 AM
You commute sound like the Pits! :Yahoo!:

The mudhole was at the end of my driveway! As the saying goes "Africa is no place for sissies!"

Yendor
17th December 2012, 03:19 PM
How does this alarm work? Does it only sound for the duration of the overspeed or does it have a timer? Reason I ask is that it continued to sound for a short while after I disengaged the diff lock.

Sorry mate. I missed this.

I am not sure exactly on this. The workshop manual only states that the buzzer comes on when vehicle speed exceeds 20 km/h (12MPH).

I'm guessing that just because you turn the diff lock switch off that it doesn't mean that the diff lock disengages straight away, vehicle speed may need to be reduced before it will disengage.

Have you had a look in the owners manual?

Did you receive my email?

Cheers Rodney

Conradk
18th December 2012, 06:59 PM
Hey Rodney

Many thanks for your responses. Got your email as well. This week-end I will get stuck into the wiring and try and sort it out. Went on a 4X4 training course this last week-end and had a great time climbing slopes I never thought possible. However, the flipping diff lock alarm nearly cost me my sanity. Definitely something wrong there.

I have still not been able to lay my hands on an owners manual (either hard copy or electronic), but have in the mean time downloaded the workshop manual which I need to now try and go through.

Once again, thanks for your help. This forum has been amazing! The various thread contain an absolute goldmine of useful information.

Conrad