PDA

View Full Version : Hub circlip

luvpsi
26th November 2012, 02:35 PM
Hey guys been having weird vibrations in the front when hubs are locked I noticed a circlip on the end of the shaft that holds the hub gear onto shaft is missing but I can't get the new one on it's about the width of the circlip away from the groove any ideas how to get the shaft out more to fit it on

Ben-e-boy
26th November 2012, 02:54 PM
the litt brass ring that behind the hub on the cv shaft is on backwards. i made that mistake last time I had it apart

nissannewby
26th November 2012, 03:08 PM
Can you grip it with something and pull it out? If not something is a miss and further diagnosis will be needed. As above it could be something like Ben-e-boy has stated.

luvpsi
26th November 2012, 03:09 PM
The brass ring you bend over to stop the lock nut loosening?

nissannewby
26th November 2012, 03:12 PM
You need to remove the bearings and stub axle to get to the thrust washer that has been mentioned. Try pulling the axle out with multi grips first and go from there. It can be a fiddle job.

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2012, 03:22 PM
the litt brass ring that behind the hub on the cv shaft is on backwards. i made that mistake last time I had it apart

Assuming that it was ok when it was fitted and it is now lost then the rear seal is likely on the right way but has fallen out and is floating on the CV. You need to pull the Axle stub out and bearing out until your looking at the CV and Axle, there will be a seal loose there. You will need to take that seal and install in back into the back of the Axle stub and the thing will give you that much. You will likely Not be able to fit it back into position without stripping it to there at least.

Made that mistake at 1am on a Cold Winters night in the bush when replacing a smashed CV! I had to strip it back to there and refit that seal.

Alternatively it was put together badly first time round and your lucky you have not lost something like a Wheel! to date!.

Good luck.

luvpsi
26th November 2012, 03:27 PM
Ok I will give it a shot

luvpsi
26th November 2012, 03:39 PM
There is still a circlip after the outer bearing etc just the one that holds locking hub gear onto shaft

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2012, 03:51 PM
This is the seal that will have dislodged i reckon

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/spindleclose.jpg

This is the circlip that you cant fit?

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/FWHoffclose.jpg

Have a look at this great thread from Tony. The pics should give you enough info to sort it out.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2012, 03:55 PM
http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20gauges%20and%20stuff/Screenshot2011-08-14at103139AM.png

luvpsi
26th November 2012, 04:06 PM
So to get to that seal I need to remove hub the. The big bolts holding the hub to rotor and wheel bearIngs

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2012, 04:54 PM
Yes but they won't be very tight. If you don't have a hub socket but one as they are handy. Alternatively you can use a by flat head screw driver and a hammer and tap it undone.

luvpsi
26th November 2012, 05:01 PM
The washer you speak of is behind the spindle yeah?

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2012, 05:04 PM
Yes nearly the last thing off. Behind the knuckle spindle on the diagram on the other page.

It's actually the grease seal.

growler2058
26th November 2012, 05:36 PM
Can you grip it with something and pull it out? If not something is a miss and further diagnosis will be needed. As above it could be something like Ben-e-boy has stated.

x2 thats what i had to do. I used a small screwdriver to lever it out

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2012, 06:56 PM
x2 thats what i had to do. I used a small screwdriver to lever it out

Yes I assume you have tried pulling the thing out first mate? A good size pair of multigrips will grab the end and see if you can just pull the stub out???

If you can't then Start stripping

luvpsi
26th November 2012, 07:38 PM
Ok will do

Ben-e-boy
26th November 2012, 09:01 PM
So to get to that seal I need to remove hub the. The big bolts holding the hub to rotor and wheel bearIngs
before you start going at the seals make sure the washer behind thae seal is on the right way, tapered edge facing in

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2012, 09:16 PM
At the end of the day you are chasing 2mm. Every single piece needs to be right. As to pull out each bit make sure it was in right? If it wasn't refit it and try again.

Good luck mate.