PDA

View Full Version : 4.8 conversion into GQ

Uncle Festa
26th November 2012, 12:18 PM
G'day there, wondering whether anyone has or knows of someone who may have put a 4.8 into a GQ. From what I know so far it seems engine fit to gearbox is identical as are tailshaft, transfer, and mounts. Not sure about speed sensor, Abs linked or part of ECU ( wheel sensors which don't exist on a GQ but I am guessing do on a later model GU). Other problem may be bonnet clearance. Obviously I will need ECU and wiring harness that goes with 4.8. Wanting to stick with 5 speed manual, and am also wondering whether I will have any probs using GQ box rather than having to source and fit a GU box. I am considering buying another GQ body/chassis as there is nothing wrong with GQ TB42E I already have. If anyone has a 4.8 or a good GQ body/chassis complete or less motor and box then you can let me know. Any info would be much appreciated

Sir Roofy
26th November 2012, 12:40 PM
Hi mate hope over to introductions and tell us a bit more about your self

this will be a mammoth project if it gets of the ground
is it going to be a comp truck?? The fuel tank in the gq wont
satisfy its thirst lol

nissannewby
26th November 2012, 12:57 PM
David metcalfe from extreme 4x4 sport has done this and it hooked along pretty well with the gq being so much lighter. Try giving him a bell he is a very knowledgable many and always helpful.

Uncle Festa
26th November 2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks roofy. Yes is a decent sized project but as nissannewby appreciates, I am after the huge advantage with the GQ being 400 or so kilos lighter than a GU and the 4.8 has around 50% more power than the 4.2. Not to mention more torque. I expect the economy especially on injected gas to be really good. No not a comp truck just a work vehicle. I figure this is a much better option than a chev conversion, especially as emissions have to be equivalent or superior to the TB42E.

Uncle Festa
26th November 2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks nissannewby. Will give him a call.