PDA

View Full Version : Transmission lever lock sticking

myzathreeby
24th November 2012, 03:45 PM
There is probably a thread for this somewhere but couldn't find it on the search.
On my 3.0 litre auto, after starting the motor, foot on brake, the transmission lever is staying locked in position. The only way to release it is pushing the red button.
Does any one know if there are any other things which would cause the lever to remain locked.
maybe it is just a fuse?
Would appreciate any help on this. :D

Yendor
24th November 2012, 03:56 PM
Check that your brake lights are working, if not check the brake light fuse.

myzathreeby
24th November 2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks Yendor, Lights are working OK
There must be a relay operating a release switch on the lever, maybe the relay is bug..... stuffed.
Don't know why that lock is on there anyway, Sometimes you don't need to have your foot on the brake when taking off.
I have driven plenty of Automatics before and they haven't had locks on them. It doesn't seem like much of a safety feature, I suppose you could accidentally knock it into drive with the engine running and not notice it. ??? or the kids might pull it out of park and let it run off down the hill... after they have released the handbrake.
I thing I will look at disabling it.

Yendor
25th November 2012, 12:12 AM
That's a bugger, I was hoping it was an easy fix.

Yes there is a relay and a couple of diodes in the circuit.

I can post the circuit diagram if you like but you would be better off following the workshop manual flow chart, it's in the AT section.

myzathreeby
25th November 2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks yendor
I'll check out the wiring diagram
Cheers