PDA

View Full Version : What do I need?

markp90
23rd November 2012, 11:46 AM
Hey Guys

Just picked up my Patrol a couple of days ago and am loving it.

I want to get into some 4 wheel driving tracks at some point early next year though and just wanted to get some advice on what I need to do to it or get before I go.

Its currently a stock 2007 GU ST with Bullbar and thats about it.

What are the must haves to go 4wdriving and what are the good to haves?

all help appreciated.

(also it s a 3l turbo diesel if that makes a difference)

thanks
mark

lorrieandjas
23rd November 2012, 12:35 PM
Hi Mark - contrary to popular belief you actually don't need *that* much to go 4wd'ing, however it really does pay to talk to your local 4wd club and do a driver training course. There are a heap of accidents/incidents that happen due to people over-estimating their ability or underestimating the need to understand how to drive a 4wd offroad.

In terms of gear - depends on what sort of driving you want to do. At a minimum:

1. Recovery gear - snatch strap, rated shackles, shovel, jack.
2. If you have a winch the necessary items are tree-trunk protector, shackles, gloves, snatch blocks, perhaps winch extension strap.
3. If you're off the beaten track, water and food.

Others will add in to this, however also always a good idea to travel with someone else if you can who has some experience. However, I must reiterate - unless you are just driving on some simple dirt tracks, it pays to either travel with someone and have some training.

Jas

growler2058
23rd November 2012, 12:38 PM
Must have
1) A Patrol ;)
2) Recovery points
3) Snatch strap or winch

lorrieandjas
23rd November 2012, 12:59 PM
Must have
1) A Patrol ;)
2) Recovery points
3) Snatch strap or winch

Yep - missed the recovery points! D'oh.

wildgu6
23rd November 2012, 01:59 PM
Depending where you go,
1. Esky
2. Ferret tyre deflator
3. Air compressor
4. Basic tool kit
5. Wire
6. Coolant
7. Spare Fuel
8. UHF radio, unit or hand held
9. Spare fan belt
10. Can of swoosh or liquid puncture sealant, can come in very handy at times.

Will add more as it comes to mind but number 1 is essential for 4x4ing

Tappn the App Beers on Tap

scotty83
23rd November 2012, 02:11 PM
SNORKEL........ No 1 I reckon. Car will love you for it. Then recovery gear. (Snatch Strap, Rated Shackles are two of the essentials, Air compressor is fairly essential too)

Also do NOT use your towball as a recovery point or the loop on the rear.

Easiest way to use snatch strap is by removing the hitch receiver and putting the strap loop straight in here using the hitch pin to lock it in.

markp90
23rd November 2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Will definitely be going with some more experienced 4wd drivers to learn the ropes.

So basically Ill want a Winch, Recovery points, air comp, tyre deflator and recovery gear?

any brands for these in particular that you guys would recommend?

thanks
mark

scotty83
23rd November 2012, 03:42 PM
Winch is fairly large investment. I have recently purchased one but only after a few years. most of the time you will never use it especially if you are going with others. I would hold off on this one. The rest of the stuff for sure.
PS tyre deflators are also optional and a nice to have. More important is a good tyre pressure gauge most of these will have a valve press on the back side anyway.

scotty83
23rd November 2012, 03:45 PM
Might help if you update your profile to list what state you are in. This will give others an idea of suppliers they could recommend to you in your location.

threedogs
23rd November 2012, 03:58 PM
Check my vendor thread if you are interested in rated recovery points, remember if you dont think you'll make it don't try usually an easier track till you get more experience, Speed is not your friend but lower tyre pressures wheel placement will get you a long way, If manual NEVER touch the clutch going up or down but stall by stepping on the brakes, if auto never put in park on a hill You'll be there a long time. Its the best fun you can have dressed, little steps, pick your line , stay in ruts going down hill. but best thing you can do is join a club and do a course. Buy The best rated recovery gear you can afford, people die from recoveries if done wrong, plenty of horror stories dont let the next be you or someone you know. Safety first no questions about it. Learn how to use your equipment correcrtly, dont get any bad habits or take short cuts ,people die, Not trying to scare you , this is the best outdoor activity there is ,do it right. and you'll have plenty of stories about how your Trol ate the yota up the hill. learn from someone who knows not just thinks they do, plenty of cowboys out there.

markp90
23rd November 2012, 05:31 PM
thanks threedogs will definitely check your stuff out.
Thanks for the heads up on the winch scotty and will update my state and details soon :)
(Im in VIC, Knoxfield Area)
thanks
Mark

wildgu6
23rd November 2012, 06:12 PM
PS tyre deflators are also optional and a nice to have. More important is a good tyre pressure gauge most of these will have a valve press on the back side anyway.

yes a good tyre gauge is good to have, they look pretty and all that, but when your out there and want to get the wheels turning you cant go past Ferrets tyre deflators and a pencil gauge IMO, all ive ever used and never once had an issue.
Mates all have the pretty wank gauges that cost a wee bit more than a deflator and im on the move (usually to the esky) while theyre still deflating lol, they do their tyres in 8-10 mins and get the same result and the same pressures as i do in 2 mins flat.
If you can count, not only are they the fastest deflators in Australia, they are also Australian made and they are cheaper than your gauges with a valve press. Oh and they look great as a key ring.
Anyone that has one will vouch for them.

Drewboyaus
23rd November 2012, 08:21 PM
Most basic things have already been covered, but on the topic of larger investments like a winch, the first thing I'd be changing on a stock vehicle is tyres.
Buy the best aggressive All-terrain tyres you can afford.....or some good mud tyres if you aren't driving on bitumen everyday or can put up with the noise.....
Enjoy it, check your ego at the drivers door and always remember there is no such thing as a stupid question when learning the ropes.....

Lonicus
23rd November 2012, 08:51 PM
You poor bastard Mark.

I came here a few months ago, shortly before I got my Patrol, and the list of things I need/want is still growing!

The guys here are bloody great, they know their stuff, always put safety first, and are incredibly good at spending your money for you :)

You've found the best place on the 'net for Patrol owners, enjoy :drunk:

Drewboyaus
23rd November 2012, 09:49 PM
Excellent point you make.....this habit is more addictive and expensive than crack!

markp90
29th November 2012, 12:52 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction for a good basic recovery kit?
I'm in Ferntree Gully, Victoria if that makes a dif.

Also what will it need to be rated to weight wise for a 07 gu?
thanks
Mark

Bloodyaussie
29th November 2012, 01:37 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction for a good basic recovery kit?
I'm in Ferntree Gully, Victoria if that makes a dif.

Also what will it need to be rated to weight wise for a 07 gu?
thanks
Mark
Sounds like you need to come out with some experienced guys with all the gear so you can see how it all works and what you might need first.

There is so much to learn and the best way is to go out with good people who are not cowboys...

Having a good novice friendly day on the 9th at Tallarook and you are welcome to tag along.

markp90
29th November 2012, 03:47 PM
Sounds like you need to come out with some experienced guys with all the gear so you can see how it all works and what you might need first.

There is so much to learn and the best way is to go out with good people who are not cowboys...

Having a good novice friendly day on the 9th at Tallarook and you are welcome to tag along.

Sounds great would definitely be interested will try and make sure I get the day off work,
Will I be right in my stock gu ( ie no snorkel)?
Is there gear that I would need to bring?

thanks
mark