PDA

View Full Version : Limited slip diff question

daves
22nd November 2012, 10:34 PM
Hi,
My limo has seemed a bit sus the last few times we have been out for a fourby,when I had it up on the hoist giving it a clean my mate held one of the rear wheels and I could spin the other one with not a huge amount of force,it was a little bit harder at first but once it started spinning it spun quite freely,to me this doesnt seem right.Any help would be great.

taslucas
23rd November 2012, 06:43 AM
Maybe drop the oil and check the condition of it. Nice new oil in there for a start.

BearGUST
23rd November 2012, 10:29 AM
Mine is the same on a hoist but the LSD works a treat on/off road.
I haven't looked into it a great deal but I believe they are a different style of LSD to most vehicles, I've read somewhere that they are a ramp-up design LSD as opposed to most vehicles which have a higher breakaway set up. Does anyone have more info on this?

daves
25th November 2012, 10:21 PM
thanks for your replies I droped about 500ml of diff oil and topped it up with nulon engine oil flush and will put new oil in after about 1000km's ,This is meant to clean the clutch plates,I will post the results when I have put the new oil in.It is defenately not working as good as it used to so hopefully this works.

daves
30th November 2012, 10:44 PM
I put the new oil in and it is definitely better but is still not as good as it was.I will run the new oil for a while and will let you how it goes

daves
4th December 2012, 10:21 PM
Is heaps better than it was has definately made a difference still might shim to get more out of it.

taslucas
5th December 2012, 06:11 AM
Good to hear its a bit better now. Keep us informed if you go ahead with the shim. I read somewhere here that a 0.7 mm shim sold on eBay was too thick and had to be machined down a bit. I think it was nissannewby's mate......

Tap, crackle, pop

macca86
5th December 2012, 07:04 AM
What you described happens to lsd diffs so you can take corners. It requires a certain amout of force to be able to lock it up. Its a rather large force too. Next time you're out bush go through a bog hole get someone to watch id both wheels spin you're fine

nissannewby
5th December 2012, 05:49 PM
Good to hear its a bit better now. Keep us informed if you go ahead with the shim. I read somewhere here that a 0.7 mm shim sold on eBay was too thick and had to be machined down a bit. I think it was nissannewby's mate......

Tap, crackle, pop

It was ben-e-boy's mate and your correct lucas I think they had it knocked down to 0.4 with good results, the 0.7 basically locked the rear diff.

taslucas
5th December 2012, 08:21 PM
It was ben-e-boy's mate and your correct lucas I think they had it knocked down to 0.4 with good results, the 0.7 basically locked the rear diff.

Cool, thought I'd read it somewhere, cheers

Tap, crackle, pop

daves
12th December 2012, 08:39 PM
funny you should bring up the bog hole thing cause last time we were out got stuck in one and my mates said only one back wheel was spinning.It has only spun one back for a while know but as i said it does seam to be getting better . I will let you know sometime over the weekend as we are going for a 4by.

taslucas
12th December 2012, 08:57 PM
There was also a thread somewhere talking about adding engine oil flush treatment to your diff for a 1000 or so k's before dropping the oil and adding fresh stuff. I think the idea was to clean the clutch plates. Sorry, I can't remember what the thread was called. I think it may have been by robo

Tap, crackle, pop

Ben-e-boy
12th December 2012, 09:02 PM
funny you should bring up the bog hole thing cause last time we were out got stuck in one and my mates said only one back wheel was spinning.It has only spun one back for a while know but as i said it does seam to be getting better . I will let you know sometime over the weekend as we are going for a 4by.

you could use the left foot brake technique to try to keep it locked in

Winnie
12th December 2012, 09:24 PM
There was also a thread somewhere talking about adding engine oil flush treatment to your diff for a 1000 or so k's before dropping the oil and adding fresh stuff. I think the idea was to clean the clutch plates. Sorry, I can't remember what the thread was called. I think it may have been by robo

Tap, crackle, pop

Hahahahahahahahahahaha mate it was this very thread!

DIAL-A-TAP

taslucas
12th December 2012, 09:31 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha mate it was this very thread!

DIAL-A-TAP

Nah, there's another one mate

Tap, crackle, pop

daves
13th December 2012, 10:11 PM
thats why I tried it after reading it on a different thread and as I said has helped but is still no where as good as it was.Im thinking the guy that I bought it of might have had it shimmed and that was why it was so good before and now it might have loosened up,this weekend will test it right out we are heading out the back of woolgoolga(coffs area)cant wait.

Robo
14th December 2012, 11:25 AM
I put the new oil in and it is definitely better but is still not as good as it was.I will run the new oil for a while and will let you how it goes

Reason you leave it in for 1000k , cleaner only works hot so I"m told, "sounds fair enough".
It seemed to work on Mav's lsd, did same thing about a yr ago.
The old stuff was very dirty when drained after being cleaned.
cheers

Robo
30th December 2012, 06:27 AM
up date on lsd cleaning
Went out for a drive in the Wattagons Mts looking for a camping spot couple days ago.
Gave the LSD a work out in the dirt, it still working fine.
Went from not working at all, to good, since putting the cleaner through the diff.
It's well over a yr now, so still happy with the result.
Used penrite 140w oil.

Morton
30th December 2012, 11:21 PM
can someone enlighten me on how the change of diff oil fixs this please?

MC97GQ
31st December 2012, 07:54 AM
Morton,

Like everything over time you LSD oil breaks down and loses viscosity(thins out), putting in a cleaner(to get rid of all traces of old oil) and putting new thicker oil in helps with everything binding, as basically a Limited Slip Diff works on friction when pressure is applied.

A very basic answer from someone with very basic knowledge.

There are others here way smarter than me who can give a better explanation no doubt

Hope this helps a bit

Mark

Morton
1st January 2013, 11:48 AM
Mark, that explanation was fine, I just wanted clarification I suppose, but I will be having my diff oils changed shortly then, I have a similiar issue

daves
3rd January 2013, 09:58 PM
The penright 140 is good I have also been told Castrol make a good lsd oil

Robo
4th January 2013, 01:14 AM
can someone enlighten me on how the change of diff oil fixs this please?

And the add pacs in the oil will degrade over time so fresh oil is the answer.
But this is only a fix if the oil is to blame, and not mechanical wear.
cheers