PDA

View Full Version : Caravanning with GQ 4.2 diesel - any good?

monty
22nd November 2012, 09:11 PM
Hi all,
Thinking of getting van in next year or so. Probably around 16-17ft so maybe around 2T. I understand that GQ is limited to 2500Kg, don't know about limit on ball weight. Anyway the 4,2 diesel is really sluggish hauling itself up steep-ish countrty roads and really it could be 1st or 2nd gear stuff with van. Anyone towing vans around Oz with GQ4,2 that could shed some light on their suitability? I wouldn't sell the old girl, but would consider a different tug for the van if necessary.
Oh, and I will not consider turbo'ing it either, will leave standard.
cheers

Winnie
22nd November 2012, 09:13 PM
Mate its a td42 you won't even notice you're towing.

DIAL-A-TAP

MEGOMONSTER
22nd November 2012, 09:41 PM
If our 3 lt donks can do it then surely a 4.2lt can do it better.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

monty
23rd November 2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. The 3ltr is of course turbo'ed. I know that the 4.2 will pull like a steam train, just concerned about lugging up hills ( you know the deal,ff'ing caravans holding up traffic). So just want to get a clear picture.

AB
23rd November 2012, 02:19 PM
mine was naturally aspirated too and was very sluggy when towing but as mentioned above super strong and reliable motor mate that will not let you down.

Any reason why you don't want to put turbo on it?

I ended up putting the standard GU HT-18 turbo on with mild boost and it made a huge difference to towing. Pulls like a train and engine stays cool, EGT's are ok but need to keep an eye on it of course for long hills but now It's the ultimate towing machine mate!

Highly recommend putting turbo on, not a hard job either mate....Have a read below for my DIY about it...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4973-Fitting-a-genuine-Nissan-turbo-to-a-N-A-TD42

Benno7
23rd November 2012, 02:20 PM
why are you against putting a turbo on it?
It will tow it no doubt about it but you wont be going anywhere fast.

MudRunnerTD
23rd November 2012, 04:01 PM
Great car, Great Engine.

Awesome car Awesome Turbo'd engine.

Put a Turbo on it and you will never question its suitability again. I fitted my turbo to the GQ at 360,000 and did not blink. Do it!

putting a Turbo on a TD42 does not make you a Hoon. These engines are crying to be Turbo'd. They simply wakeup and breath. You will never ever regret fitting a turbo to it.

Infact once turbo'd you will drive out and think .... "Huh! its not that good???" It's not like a Jap Ricer Racer. Then you will hit the first big hill and think OMG! WOW Soooooooo Happy!

Then you will hook up the van and be simply Blown Away at how much better your car likes it. Overtaking Uphill around a B Double is a real option.

89gqpatrol4x4
23rd November 2012, 06:47 PM
Hi mate, I tow my builders trailer sometimes with mine and it wieghs 1000kg, don't even notice it! it's always sooooo sloooowww LOL

monty
24th November 2012, 12:02 PM
Hi, thanks for replies. Everyone seems that the turbo route is the one to take. maybe I should re-consider. I guess I was worried because I have 255000 on the clock. I'll look into it. Anyone know who to see in Adelaide?
cheers

Winnie
24th November 2012, 12:06 PM
You've got at least another 300k left it in mate I wouldn't hesitate to strap a snail on it.

growler2058
24th November 2012, 12:18 PM
There's a thread here somewhere about a good diesel mechanic in Adelaide ill try hunting it down when I'm back on my laptop
Or try advanced search option for Adelaide mechanic in the meantime

AB
25th November 2012, 07:29 AM
255k is very low km's mate, I wouldn't have any hesitation for that many km's.

monty
26th November 2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. Might have to serously look into this in the new year. Cheers all

AB
26th November 2012, 08:21 PM
If you DIY mate just let us know if you have any questions. Easy job to do and can save $$$

Ben-e-boy
26th November 2012, 09:03 PM
Hi, thanks for replies. Everyone seems that the turbo route is the one to take. maybe I should re-consider. I guess I was worried because I have 255000 on the clock. I'll look into it. Anyone know who to see in Adelaide?
cheers

255k is low, just run in lol. i turboed mine at 263k and I run over 20psi

xamrab
15th December 2012, 05:10 PM
I was told that it is not worth putting in a turbo if you motor had done over a certain amount of kilometres. Is that true? And if it is, why?

89gqpatrol4x4
15th December 2012, 05:39 PM
No mate that's simply not true. I've heard of guys doing it at 450,000km. If your worried do a simple compression test.