PDA

View Full Version : Is this for real?

mudski
22nd November 2012, 09:47 PM
Or are the talking chit?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-GU-Patrol-Alternator-Voltage-Booster-/221152682766?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337dba230e

NissanGQ4.2
22nd November 2012, 09:52 PM
I know nothing about electronics, but if you look at his feedback I would say no chit all for real

I'm sure Rodney ( Yendor ) will see this and be able 2 advise you is its chit or not

MudRunnerTD
22nd November 2012, 09:59 PM
I reckon it's for real mate. A hi end Gel battery ideally needs 14.5 v for optimum charging and extended battery life. Charging that battery at 13.8 to 14v will see it fail much sooner and not achieve consistent CCA ratings. Alternatively a DC to DC charger is the to but much more expensive.

threedogs
22nd November 2012, 10:00 PM
Saw them a few weeks back ,just dismissed it as a gimmick at the time. what do I know, Yendor may be your go to guy on this one

Yendor
22nd November 2012, 11:24 PM
The theory behind it is sound. It tricks the alternator into thinking the voltage is about .6 of a volt lower then it actually is so the alternator increases it.

My concern with using these on Patrols is the potential for overcharging the main battery.

If your alternator and wiring is in good condition there should be no need for this.

If your second battery is not meeting your needs, you should be looking at changing it's setup.

BillsGU
22nd November 2012, 11:33 PM
It is two diodes configured back to back. About 20 cents worth of components. If it sounds too good to be true - IT IS !!!

mudski
23rd November 2012, 08:55 AM
So it is chit, but not chit at the same time. i wasn't thinking of getting one, just doing the usual Ebay browse...

Diesel-Mate
25th November 2012, 11:25 PM
It may increase the voltage but what about the amps? I don't think it would work the way it says.

Jock
26th November 2012, 06:06 AM
I tried this device when looking for an alternative to an expensive dc-dc converter for my dual batteries. It upped my voltage from 14.4 to 14.9v. So it does work as it states. But after a 3 hour drive I detected signs of over charging. I e-mailed the seller who advised me that it really is only for alternators that are putting out less than 14 volts. As it says in the speel, re: GU patrols and temperature compensating alternators. I have since discovered that if your GU alternator is putting out 14.4v you do not need a dc-dc converter or this diode device. The retailer refunded my payment when I returned it to him. Cheers Jock

mudski
26th November 2012, 11:01 PM
Good to hear, thanks Jock.