PDA

View Full Version : OMG 4.8 ltr fuel consumption

LPG IQ
22nd November 2012, 01:40 PM
Iv recently purchased a 2008 Nissan patrol 4.8 ltr and omg it drinks the fuel.
Can anyone post me there experiences.

Mick

threedogs
22nd November 2012, 02:03 PM
Hi Mick and welcome, might want to pop over to the intro section and lets us know abit about yourself and your ride, Just something the forum asks of everyone so we know a bit about you and vice versa. From what I know the 4.8 not the most frugal on fuel. might have to wait for the others to fill up and get here

MudRunnerTD
22nd November 2012, 02:54 PM
LMFAO! Yes IT DOES!

I did a trip through the middle a couple of years ago with my TD42Ti GUIV and a mate had a GUIII with a 4.8 and no LPG. we were both towing a comparable trailer each. We pulled up to a pump and i pumped Diesel and he pumped petrol. I filled with 82lts and he pumped 139lts of petrol for identical kms!!!

OUCH!

Maxhead
22nd November 2012, 05:16 PM

Mick

Not sure if there are many 4.8 owners on here mate....most of them can't afford internet , they spend all their money on petrol....hahahahha
sorry mate couldn't resist.

Hopefully someone can give you some true figures but I would expect 20's everyday driving and 30's plus 4x4 or sand

Alitis007
22nd November 2012, 06:00 PM
If its anything like the 4.5 mate good luck, i average 6km/ltr mixed city and freeway driving after mucking around with timing, tps and idle speed towing roughly 5.5km/ltr and i only use 98ron PULP

Agronaught
22nd November 2012, 06:47 PM
Only had my 4.8 a few weeks and will be getting the lpg retuned in the morning for the new engine. Currently getting 30+L to the 100 mixed city and hway which is ridiculous, and driving style doesnt seem to make any difference.

Still early days though as i have only had a problem free engine for a week.

The car is literally a weekender so if it continues ill ditch the lpg for a pure fuel setup for the increased range.

Alitis007
22nd November 2012, 06:56 PM
Dw mate i feel your pain, i'm gona ditch the motor in favor of something with a bit more kick lol

nissannewby
22nd November 2012, 07:11 PM
But who buys a 4.8 for its economoy? They go hard and with the addition of a turbo you may be able to get your figures down ever so slightly but unlikely as you will be having to much fun with the extra power :).

Alitis007
22nd November 2012, 07:16 PM
But who buys a 4.8 for its economoy? They go hard and with the addition of a turbo you may be able to get your figures down ever so slightly but unlikely as you will be having to much fun with the extra power :).

It was probably at the right price more then economy

Sir Roofy
22nd November 2012, 07:30 PM
What can i say,had a 4.5 once not anymore went back to diesel
a lot more range

Agronaught
22nd November 2012, 09:00 PM
I would be happy to get 20L/100!

I suspect the mixer on my car is worn out. If that proves to be the case ill simply rip it out and ho straight fuel with a long range tank.

As it is running lpg is more expensive!

Bulbous
23rd November 2012, 03:50 AM
I get about 18 L per 100 km on mine when I keep it on the highway. Like you say, driving it gently makes little difference. I think that's because doing 500 km at 80 save a bit that you then waste by blowing away a cruiser at the next set of lights. Excellent fun though :)
Take it off road and into the dunes - Wow I did 117 km in the sand last week and shot off almost half a tank. I reckon that's almost down to 2 km per litre :jawdrop:

LPG IQ
23rd November 2012, 07:05 AM
Well iv started the ball rolling, its sitting on a chassis dyno and its first power run on petrol was 107 RWKW.

It has a LPG vapour injection system fitted 2 months ago and made nearly the same power on gas so im happy about that ;)

More testing throughout the day....

MQ MAD
23rd November 2012, 07:36 AM

Mick
Petrol,4x4,and economy in the one sentence,paragraph, story , doesnt happen
The only way i get less than 20L/100Ks in my petrol GQ is dont start it
But altho thirsty,it eats the hills and can do any legal speed up them,something many diesels struggle with

LPG IQ
23rd November 2012, 07:51 AM
Original air box out and a pod filter fitted, 135 RWKW’s very impressed.

Agronaught
23rd November 2012, 10:37 AM
Yep, converter is stuffed. Replacing it so hopefully i can get a little more range out of the 115L lpg tank.

That combined with a 78L sub tank in a few months im hoping for the kings share of 800km combined range, depending on the type of driving of course.

Alitis007
23rd November 2012, 11:19 AM
Petrol,4x4,and economy in the one sentence,paragraph, story , doesnt happen
The only way i get less than 20L/100Ks in my petrol GQ is dont start it
But altho thirsty,it eats the hills and can do any legal speed up them,something many diesels struggle with

It can happen mate just need to spend the $$$ in the right place

Alitis007
23rd November 2012, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=LPG IQ;297085]Original air box out and a pod filter fitted, 135 RWKW

Are you running a snorkel??

LPG IQ
23rd November 2012, 11:48 AM
No not yet, why?

Alitis007
23rd November 2012, 11:56 AM
Just asking mate, a 20kw gain is huge for just a filter but is that in a pod box or open to air? coz i want to make a snorkel and enclosed pod for my rig to see if that makes any difference.

LPG IQ
23rd November 2012, 12:06 PM
This is an enclosed air box and will be able to connect to a snorkel.

The Dyno operator has said the gain is both air intake improvment and the fact that it now looks at different areas of the timing maps in the cars ECU.

Alitis007
23rd November 2012, 12:20 PM
Ok cool, can you post a pic of it or tell me what box it is??

LPG IQ
23rd November 2012, 12:34 PM
will do as soon as i get it back

Alitis007
23rd November 2012, 01:02 PM
Cheers bud

Agronaught
23rd November 2012, 06:47 PM
Ok, last tank before new converter install i got a little over 2km/L city driving... Insane. Hoping for better now, LPG guy is confident.

TPC
23rd November 2012, 07:53 PM
I did the Madigan line through the Simpson 2 years ago with a few mates.
One of the guys had a 4.8 Patrol and had 345L with him when we left Mt Dare and ran out of fuel at Big Red.
We did have a lot of detours around flooding but was over double what a diesel Hilux used.

The BigFella
23rd November 2012, 08:32 PM
I'm feeling your pain brother, my 4500 drinks the fuel like its going out of fashion.
But, I do tow at highway speeds and pass just about everything in sight!
Not a lead foot, just need to get to where I'm going to in the shortest time possible!

I had a 4800 a few years back, it was better on fuel than my 4500 by far!

My 4500 uses 16ltr per 100k's on lpg and 20ltr per 100k's on petrol.

Either way it costs an arm and a leg to run.

macca89
23rd November 2012, 08:41 PM
yeh paying for the 4.8l aint easy on apprentice wages!!!

twisty
24th November 2012, 10:22 AM
I'm feeling your pain brother, my 4500 drinks the fuel like its going out of fashion.

My 4500 uses 16ltr per 100k's on lpg and 20ltr per 100k's on petrol.

Either way it costs an arm and a leg to run.

*sigh* I've kept consumption figures for my rig since I got it.

My 4500 uses 30ltr per 100k's on lpg, more in low range. Always has. Two seperate lpg mechanics, two different dynos, regular service. Always told "yep, all good". Plugs and leads, the lot. I can tell when it needs a tune, economy improves and idle is rough.

When I ask about improving fuel economy I get told "Not much, they're thirsty buggers" and aftermarket ignition timing chips are "a waste of time" as it's mostly a mechanical system. I've got a mate with a 4800 and he gets about the same as me but with lpg vapour injection. When I asked about going to injection, "yeah ...sure, won't help much and $300 per injector + fit".

I read these consumption/economy threads front to back and try to follow any leads. Bigfella isn't the only one reporting figures I dream of and I wish I could pick the difference. Any ideas?

Bob
24th November 2012, 10:35 AM
My 4500 uses 16L per 100 K's on Petrol and 18/20 Litres per 100 K's on LPG 22Litres per 100K's towing my Jayco Dove
No Lift.No Roof Rack and standard Road Tyres

Alitis007
24th November 2012, 01:01 PM
*sigh* I've kept consumption figures for my rig since I got it.

My 4500 uses 30ltr per 100k's on lpg, more in low range. Always has. Two seperate lpg mechanics, two different dynos, regular service. Always told "yep, all good". Plugs and leads, the lot. I can tell when it needs a tune, economy improves and idle is rough.

When I ask about improving fuel economy I get told "Not much, they're thirsty buggers" and aftermarket ignition timing chips are "a waste of time" as it's mostly a mechanical system. I've got a mate with a 4800 and he gets about the same as me but with lpg vapour injection. When I asked about going to injection, "yeah ...sure, won't help much and $300 per injector + fit".

I read these consumption/economy threads front to back and try to follow any leads. Bigfella isn't the only one reporting figures I dream of and I wish I could pick the difference. Any ideas?

Best i ever got with my 4500 was 14.7l/100, i only have petrol no lpg and use 98ron i played with my timing and tps adjustment and now i average 15.8l/100. I think with an exhaust it might improve but like said earlier i'm going to try a snorkel and enclosed pod filter to see it than makes any difference. The bonus for the 4800 is that the timing is electronically controlled with the knock censor and the timing keeps changing all the time unlike our 4500 distributor having to be set to find a happy medium.

Clunk
24th November 2012, 01:19 PM
Just go out and drive it and enjoy it....... if you wanted economy should have bought a Prius.......... OK that may have been a little too far........... get a diesel then!:1087::fish::animierte-smilies-f:D:D:D

Bloggsy
24th November 2012, 02:14 PM
Just go out and drive it and enjoy it....... if you wanted economy should have bought a Prius.......... OK that may have been a little too far........... get a diesel then!:1087::fish::animierte-smilies-f:D:D:D

What Clunky said. Just enjoy it or buy a diesel. I used to worry about my 4.8's fuel consumption but now just enjoy driving it and don't worry about the fuel. I still keep track of how much it's using only for the fact that if it starts using considerably more than it normally averages (18-20l per 100km), then I at least know that something is not right or I've just been giving it hell LOL!

My 4.8 is quite a heavy beast with long range tank, dual wheel carriers etc, etc so would expect my consumption to be higher than normal. These extra accessories will obviously have an impact on you fuel consumption, for instance I used to have a rola racks with a full cage basket and this made the fuel economy 2 l per 100 km worse off.

It might be worth trying the PVA mod Jay on the other forum came up with. Some people experienced better fuel economy with this mod (I think those mainly with the later model 4.8 autos - mine is a 2003 series III). Made no difference to mine but I'm still running the mod due to some of its other benefits eg less hunting for gears in cruise control mode.

Alitis007
24th November 2012, 02:38 PM
Whats the PVA mod

MEGOMONSTER
24th November 2012, 03:58 PM
If your not getting enough Km's out out of a tank, the best way to fix this is get a bigger tank. Or we have found that idling everywhere will get you an extra 100km's.
tail gating will get you extra 13km's.
or if your a real lead foot, a brick behind the accelerator.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

Bloggsy
24th November 2012, 06:37 PM
Whats the PVA mod

It's the Power Valve Actuator, best to do a search on it, rather than me give you the wrong explanation - haha!!

Put the following into google, it should be the first hit it brings up for patrol4x4.com

"pva mod 4.8"

Cheers
Darren

Alitis007
24th November 2012, 07:14 PM
It's the Power Valve Actuator, best to do a search on it, rather than me give you the wrong explanation - haha!!

Put the following into google, it should be the first hit it brings up for patrol4x4.com

"pva mod 4.8"

Cheers
Darren

Thanks mate i'll sus it out

twisty
24th November 2012, 09:08 PM
My 4500 uses 16L per 100 K's on Petrol and 18/20 Litres per 100 K's on LPG 22Litres per 100K's towing my Jayco Dove
No Lift.No Roof Rack and standard Road Tyres

See, another one! Bob ... I hate you (not really ;-).

I just don't understand. I've run light (no roof racks and empty everything out except me) and the BEST I get is 28l/100k. Many years ago I raced slot cars and one bloke always beat us, I mean, he made us look silly! We did all sorts of mods, rewires, test and blew dozens of motors trying to match the b@stard. No joy. So we asked him and he claimed he had a "freak" motor. Now, I don't know if this was the case but when I see what economy others get from their "forklift" engines I feel like I've missed out, again.

It injures my male pride to feel so ... inadequate ... and bloated. I need icecream now!

twisty
24th November 2012, 09:35 PM
What Clunky said. Just enjoy it or buy a diesel. I used to worry about my 4.8's fuel consumption ... normally averages (18-20l per 100km),

Easy to say when you have figures like that. Diesel isn't the issue either. eg. Bob and I have similar rigs (age,engine,fuel) and he gets twice the range I do. Only difference is I'm in an auto. Is that worth 15l/100km? Looking into the pva mod ...

ps. I see my rig as a lover. A very nice ride but expensive to seduce. And we keep doing it ... in the bush.

Bloggsy
24th November 2012, 10:20 PM
Easy to say when you have figures like that. Diesel isn't the issue either. eg. Bob and I have similar rigs (age,engine,fuel) and he gets twice the range I do. Only difference is I'm in an auto. Is that worth 15l/100km? Looking into the pva mod ...

ps. I see my rig as a lover. A very nice ride but expensive to seduce. And we keep doing it ... in the bush.

Sorry Twisty I didn't mean anything by it. :-(

The PVA mod is aimed at the 4.8's.

I've heard o2 sensors can have a bit of a bearing on fuel economy if there not functioning correctly? Maybe worth checking out if you haven't already.

threedogs
24th November 2012, 10:30 PM
My old 4x4 with a 600 square bore carby cast iron 350 Chev was getting 18/100 on the hwy, If I had a powerful 4.8 I'd be turbo charging it. so everyone would think what my fuel consumpstion was. If they could catch me

And doing stuff to your 4x4 in the bush just isnt natural, thats sick and twisty

twisty
25th November 2012, 07:21 AM
Sorry Twisty I didn't mean anything by it. :-(

Bloggsy, mate, I wasn't angry, I was jealous! Clunk started it anyway. But, just imagine, 4.2td in front of my extreme auto. Gives me a chubby. I know it's not a 4.8 but 20l/100k out of my 4.5 would keep me faithful.

My manual says the pva (VIAS or Variable Induction Air Control System) is 4.8 and ZD30 only. Another dead end for me ...

And doing stuff to your 4x4 in the bush just isnt natural, thats sick and twisty

:eck05:

Agronaught
26th November 2012, 08:27 AM
Happy to report the new converter has made a significant change to the economy. I dont have specifics yet as i need to refuel, but im fairly sure im a lot closer to the 6km/L than the 2km/L i was getting.