PDA

View Full Version : Fuse box

antiskeptic
22nd November 2012, 08:32 AM
Hi all,

Really fun question, but where is the engine fuse box? Headlights are dead and I want to check the fuses first. Fuses in car interior seem fine...box by foot well. Globes also seem fine. Gq tb42
Thanks guys

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

MudRunnerTD
22nd November 2012, 09:14 AM
Beside the battery. Between the battery and the outer guard. Under the plate cover

antiskeptic
22nd November 2012, 10:24 AM
Haha thought it probably was. Was being lazy with the Philips head, that and running late for work...check on lunch break

antiskeptic
22nd November 2012, 02:49 PM
Nothing really under there indicates headlights but all fuses were good anyway.... back to the auto elec again....frigging moron who had it before me made a mess of Just about all the wiring....and he was a mechanic

Yendor
22nd November 2012, 02:59 PM
Do you have power at the two headlight fuses in the fusebox inside the vehicle?

antiskeptic
22nd November 2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah I do have power at both of them

Yendor
22nd November 2012, 04:04 PM
Is it both your low and high beam that doesn't work?

When on high beam does the high beam warning light in the dash come on?

antiskeptic
22nd November 2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah both high and low....nothing...Parker's work...no driving lights etc...

Drewboyaus
22nd November 2012, 07:39 PM
Wondering if there has been a new headlight loom installed?
Don't forget mechanics ain't electricians, they often do things they way they know how, not always the correct way!

Drewboyaus
22nd November 2012, 07:50 PM
No driving lights? Wonder if there's a crappy join where the previous owner hooked into the high beam and power?
I found two wire splices (indicators) that would have been done by ARB when the bull bar was fitted to my GQ (it is an ex dog squad car)......they were just looped back onto each other and taped up! No solder, not even a cheap and dirty connector to be seen. I won't even discuss the job that was done on the towbar wiring....
Start at the lights and work back looking for tape or splices. Also check the earths too.
Cheers,
Drew

Yendor
22nd November 2012, 07:52 PM
If there is power at the two fuses and the high beam warning light in the dash stopped working at the same time as the lights I would say your problem is somewhere between the inside fusebox and the headlight switch.

The first thing I would check is the connector at the headlight switch, make sure it is fully connected and you have power in the Red wire with a White trace and the plain Red wire.

antiskeptic
22nd November 2012, 08:42 PM
Cool thanks guys.... it's getting beyond me...off to my auto elec. Great thing about him is he's a mate and makes me do the work so I learn at the same time...Lol...

Yendor
22nd November 2012, 09:35 PM
Cool thanks guys.... it's getting beyond me...off to my auto elec. Great thing about him is he's a mate and makes me do the work so I learn at the same time...Lol...

No worries mate. Here's the wiring diagram, it should help you understand what he is doing.

If there is no power to the 2 fuses check the fusible link at the battery.

Good luck with it.

Cheer Rodney

antiskeptic
26th November 2012, 01:23 PM
I've got power at the switch with the two wires you mentioned... Wasn't a bad idea to pull the shroud around steering wheel out anyway... Found another kg of the high country in there lol... Back to problem solving. The battery terminal wires are a mess so it's going to be tricky finding which way it goes... Sigh... Oh well needs cleaning up!

antiskeptic
27th November 2012, 01:03 PM
Well we were all wrong. Turns out it was the dim switch box under the bonnet playing up... All sorted and he punged some nice hids in at the same time... Win win

johno90
28th November 2012, 07:49 PM
I might be having a mental blank or something but what dimmer box? the headlights are not through relays and it all goes through the switch as it is the dimmer in this case. Unless you have something non standard.

antiskeptic
28th November 2012, 09:20 PM
There's a dim/dip relay under the bonnet... That was my issue

johno90
29th November 2012, 07:59 PM
hmm i dont have one, maybe someones put it in on yours.

antiskeptic
3rd December 2012, 09:31 PM
So the hid kit is beautiful but I am having an issue with the left headlight.. Turns off some times after a while. Auto electrician and I changed the balist which he seemed to think was the problem, also earthed both the lights down to the neg on the battery. Still does it. Today it didn't do it at all... Frustrating and weird. Could it be the relay? He also suggested it could be my combo switch in the truck, but I was thinking wouldn't that kill both lights not just the left one? HELP! As I'm scared of replacing shit that I don't need to... I. E the switch

Drewboyaus
5th December 2012, 10:10 AM
I had a similar problem with mine, but in my case the the headlights wouldn't turn off with the switch and the left hand headlight would flicker and eventually go out......
Checked all the connections and earths and couldn't find anything.
Pulled the boot off the bottom of the relay unit (it was an all in one connection) and found crappy wiring to the active pin with the power feed from the battery. Pulled the pin out, soldered the actives on and re-inserted the pin.
Bob's your uncle it worked!
No real idea why but I think it might have been picking up just enough power to turn things on from the factory headlight loom without being able to switch it properly.
Dunno if that gives you any ideas....

antiskeptic
5th December 2012, 11:17 AM
Awesome mate... I'll let him know. I he was saying something about the relay being a possible issue... I'll just show him your post... Cheers mate!

Drewboyaus
5th December 2012, 08:19 PM
No worries at all mate. I hope you solve it.
Cheers,
Drew

antiskeptic
5th December 2012, 09:19 PM
Well we cleaned all the contacts in the relay of the hid kit. He seemed to think they could have been dirty... Seems fine so far.. Another test of time I guess

antiskeptic
7th December 2012, 11:28 AM
Nope didn't fix it... Sigh.. It's getting to me. Think we need to just change the relay completely! Could it be the switch in the truck? If I turn lights on then off on off on off it will turn on eventually and stay on without a hicup for a day or two then go back to one light. Has to be either the relay or the switch yeah?

Drewboyaus
7th December 2012, 01:33 PM
Hmm.....sounds like something lose perhaps.....almost sounds too random to be anything else. Is it a sealed relay unit.....this is what mine looked like when I pulled it apart 23169

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antiskeptic
7th December 2012, 01:44 PM
It is a sealed relay unit with a loom that plugs in underneath...

Bigcol
8th December 2012, 01:20 PM
the GQ's never had relay for the Lights
power from Battery to the Combo Switch to the headlights -
if there is a relay there - it is aftermarket, and possibly screwed
my suggestion would be -
pull the Combo Sitch out from the column, strip it down and clean the contacts and re-grease them, then replace,

unless you want to put in a complete new loom for your lights, I would be reverse engineering the wiring from that relay to find out what its up to......

cheers

Drewboyaus
11th December 2012, 08:20 PM
How did you get on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antiskeptic
11th December 2012, 09:18 PM
Havnt had a chance to get the relay swapped over yet, but but I am thinking the switch needs to be stripped and cleaned. If I turn it on and it doesn't work I then just turn the switch on and off a Cpl times and away she goes. It will then work fine until switched off. It only does it every now and then.

Yendor
12th December 2012, 06:04 PM
Let me see if I have this correct.

Your problem of having no headlights is now fixed and you now have HIDs fitted?

Now your problem is one HID doesn't turn on sometimes or does it just switch it's self off?

The other light works normally all the time?

If this is correct your problem can not be in the headlight dipper switch or the vehicles original wiring.

When HIDs are installed a separate wire harness is also installed, so if one HID works and the other one doesn't then the problem is with the HID install.

Is it always the same light that doesn't work?

This is a common problem with the poor quality HID kits.

At night look at the wire harness running from the ballast to the bulb, then get someone to turn the lights on, can you see a spark jumping from the wire to the body of the vehicle?

You could also try swapping the bulb and the ballast with the other side one at a time to isolate the problem.

MEGOMONSTER
12th December 2012, 06:13 PM
X2 best to swap lights to opposite sides, then switch ballasts and isolate problem that way first. That way you'll see if it globe, ballast, both or other. Check installation documents for more trouble shooting ideas.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Pog mo th'oin.

antiskeptic
12th December 2012, 07:23 PM
Very helpful. Yes it is only ever one light that doesn't turn on. Some times it does some times it won't. It has switched itself off in the past also. I'll take it back to the auto electrician and tell him all this but I know he will argue with me as he swears he's shit is always right. This all makes sense to me though guys. I'll tell him to swap globes, bassists etc and see if we get the same result. It's such a huge pain in the arse as this is my daily driver and I have to do this after work all the time.

Yendor
12th December 2012, 07:42 PM
Very helpful. Yes it is only ever one light that doesn't turn on. Some times it does some times it won't. It has switched itself off in the past also. I'll take it back to the auto electrician and tell him all this but I know he will argue with me as he swears he's shit is always right. This all makes sense to me though guys. I'll tell him to swap globes, bassists etc and see if we get the same result. It's such a huge pain in the arse as this is my daily driver and I have to do this after work all the time.

I would check the wiring from the ballast to the bulb in the dark first.

If you can see and hear the spark jumping from the wire then I would tell your mate he can go stick the HID kit.

Are you in Brisbane?