PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if its the rear oil seal leaking or the sump gasket!!!!

ckh
21st November 2012, 11:16 PM
Can anyone tell me How accurate is this statement, as it describes my problem to a T

"generally if its the rear main it will leak out of the little hole at the bottom of the bellhousing.
sump will run down the front of the sandwich plate between block and gearbox. and rocker cover well yeah just runs everywhere."

1 "generally if its the rear main it will leak out of the little hole at the bottom of the bellhousing." Nothing coming out of little hole..

2 "sump will run down the front of the sandwich plate between block and gearbox."
I can see wetness on the "sandwich plate between block and Auto transmission then it ends up on the bell housing bolt on the left side "passenger side"

Its definatly engine oil not tranny fluid...

A sump gasket I can do my self, but a rear seal is going to kill me, its been like this since the day after I got it, and I put it down for ages to that I had overfilled my oil and was about 1-2mm over the full mark on the dip stick..

MudRunnerTD
21st November 2012, 11:29 PM
Take a photo mate it will be fairly easy to tell for someone that see it all the time

nissannewby
22nd November 2012, 01:26 AM
Generally that's how it will work rear main will leak from bell housing and sump as it states sump gaskets are cheap and easy you would be hard pushed to pay more than $25 for one unless you go genuine.