PDA

View Full Version : Warming up the motor

Cuppa
21st November 2012, 09:40 AM
Regarding warming up the motor. (Thought it best to start a new thread rather than hijack this one (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?16184-No-oomph-in-the-morning./page2))

I generally drive off as soon as the motor is started, but it''s all downhill from my place, a twisty dirt road, normally driven in 3rd, with little or no throttle, with rev counter showing between 1500 & 2000rpm. So the motor is not under much load, & takes around 8 or 9 Kms to come up to normal operating temperature on the Nissan gauge. At the 9km mark I hit a short uphill section just as the TDi42 is warmed up.

I do have extra coolant in the system by virtue of extending it to heat my on board hot water service, but have the ability to shut this off if needed. I do this in winter to get a slightly quicker warm up. (So I can use the cabin heater ASAP).

I know there are different ideas on how best to warm up a cold motor ..... But does my method sound reasonable, or do you think it would be better to run the motor for a few minutes before taking off still. I want this motor to last a long time.

Cuppa

nissannewby
21st November 2012, 10:07 AM
At a dead cold start up I always let it idle for a couple of minutes just to get the fluids flowing. Then like you just drive it easy to start with. Warm up is when the most wear occurs so the quicker you can get it to operating temperature without putting escessive load on it the better.

threedogs
21st November 2012, 10:08 AM
I start up wait till all lights go off, check mirrors etc , take it easy until at normal temp. then you take a generator flat stick from the get go. going to read the user manual, someone said something in there. MY thinking if you don't drive like the last lap of Bathurst after a safety car you should be right, bit of common sense required IMO

snewin
21st November 2012, 10:57 AM
Yeah I agree with the above. Start up from cold and let idle for a bit. Take it really easy until the needle is halfway then cruise for about five mins then drive normal. I don't really flog her at the best of times however.

lorrieandjas
21st November 2012, 10:58 AM
I've read idling to warm is not perhaps the best way to warm them up. More wear and tear happens at idle speeds when cold? I am pretty sure its in the manual - so I'll take a look.

jack
21st November 2012, 11:00 AM
X2 with threedogs, I use common sense. If I was towing or hitting a hill from cold start then I warm up for a few minutes.

nissannewby
21st November 2012, 01:07 PM
I've read idling to warm is not perhaps the best way to warm them up. More wear and tear happens at idle speeds when cold? I am pretty sure its in the manual - so I'll take a look.

Yes most wear occurs from cold to warm up. So the quicker you can get it to operating temp the least amount of wear can occur. However like others have said dont go like a bull at a gate just take it easy until she is at temp then all is well.

The reason you see so man ex taxis pushing 700,000km without touching the motor is cos a lot of them are never turned off and when they are (service/fuel up) it is for short periods and the engine doesnt have time to cool all the way down.

Ben-e-boy
21st November 2012, 01:49 PM
At a dead cold start up I always let it idle for a couple of minutes just to get the fluids flowing. Then like you just drive it easy to start with. Warm up is when the most wear occurs so the quicker you can get it to operating temperature without putting escessive load on it the better.

x2 that how I do it

Diesel-Mate
21st November 2012, 06:54 PM
It is actually worst for an engine to be warmed by idleing it. From start up just get going at a normal driving pace and the engine will last for years. It actually states it the manual to NOT warm it up by idleing. I'm a mechanic btw.

krbrooking
21st November 2012, 07:00 PM
I have also heard that it is not good for the motors to sit there idling when cold, I have heard it glazes the bores. Also with the oils now days there isn't much need. As long as you don't drive it like it is stolen it should last.

MEGOMONSTER
21st November 2012, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=Cuppa;296355]Regarding warming up the motor. (Thought it best to start a new thread rather than hijack this one (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?16184-No-oomph-in-the-morning./page2))

[QUOTE]
Would have been easier to just hijack
My response is in the "this one" thread above. LOL

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

happygu
21st November 2012, 10:29 PM
30 Seconds to let all the oil make its way around, and then off - gently until the needle moves off the rest position.

Mic

Robo
22nd November 2012, 03:46 AM
Think it best to leave the camping hot water system off also.
Allow the temp to reach operating temp asap.
Any excessive enrichment is no good.
Idling will shorten the life of your motor.
I hear your question, a cold motor under back pressure/vacume.
Up to temp asap is my answer.

Cuppa
24th November 2012, 03:42 PM
Think it best to leave the camping hot water system off also.
Allow the temp to reach operating temp asap.
Any excessive enrichment is no good.
Idling will shorten the life of your motor.
I hear your question, a cold motor under back pressure/vacume.
Up to temp asap is my answer.

Yes I think so too. Have now turned of hot water, & when travelling (& needing hot water) it will be simple enough to stop once up to temperature, lift the bonnet, & switch the hot water on. I could potentially even do it from within the cab via cable .... but doubt I'll ever bother.

Can you explain your comment 'Any excessive enrichment is no good'? Should I understand that a diesel motor runs richer when cold? If so given that most of my usage to date is into town & back (a round trip of 60 to 70kms).... that might account for the rather black/sooty end of the exhaust pipe? Might also account for the lousy fuel consumption which I had put down to the canopy & rooftop tent. Seems I have a range of only around 850 Kms with both main & sub tanks (90 & 75 litres I think).

Cuppa

brisz
29th December 2012, 02:32 AM
Sounds reasonable to me what you are doing.

As others have said and is well known, most engine wear is at start up, my thinking is to have a really well charged battery on my 300ZX that sits in the garage, oil has drained well out of it and the battery could be weak (with a little alarm load etc.), so a weak crank can lead to more low oil pressure revolutions then if a very strong battery allows a nice snappy start, getting oil pressure up asap.

So I run a Ctek trikle/charger now, and it springs into life snappy like a new battery all the time, probably wont make a lot of differnce other then the warm fuzzies I get. :)

Just a thought on how good mainatnce in one area can help a seamingly unrelated area.

jhon
2nd January 2013, 03:00 PM
Hi all
According to me this is not good for motor and i want to say about this thread...I start up wait till all lights go off, check mirrors etc , take it easy until at normal temp. then you take a generator flat stick from the get go. going to read the user manual, someone said something in there.

Surfers Rent A Car
http://www.surfersrentacar.com.au/
2/11 Northview Street Mermaid Waters Gold Coast QLD 4218
Phone:(07) 5572 0600