PDA

View Full Version : Brake replacement time I think

mudski
20th November 2012, 08:36 PM
I have ripped apart the wifes front brakes on her VX. No pads left at all :clapping: Anyhow I thought while I'm ordering new rotors and pads for hers I might do mine as they are starting to shudder under braking. Plus the pads have about 3mm left on them.
I looked into the larger rotor conversion from the 4.8ltr trolls but thats going to be too costly.
So I have decided to go for slotted rotors but what type of pads do others use? The bendix 4wd pads are supposed to be good but from what I have been told they are harsh on rotors but last longer. The stock brakes on this are terrible, I couldn't lock the wheels up even with two feet on the pedal.
So I 'd rather change pads more often to save the rotors rather than screw the lot quicker than I need to.
Any idea's on what type of pad would be good?

Cheers.

MudRunnerTD
20th November 2012, 08:41 PM
I run Bendix and rate them highly. Great feel. Made in Ballarat, Victoria.

mudski
20th November 2012, 08:47 PM
Yeah I will only run Bendix too but should go for the 4wd pads or the softer standard Bendix General CT pads. Rotors aren't cheap but at the same time I don't want to compromise on braking performance.

stevogq
20th November 2012, 09:05 PM
Google sunbury brake and clutch very cheap and good quality

Alitis007
20th November 2012, 09:13 PM
These days the metal used to make rotors is softer and the pad material is harder to stop vibrations and noises because the asbestos has been removed from the brake pad, if u go cheaper on the pads you will find they will be noisy and you wont be happy. I fit bendix in all my customer cars even if they want to go cheaper we don't lower our standards for nothing! The bendix 4wd pads will be better then the GCT's because of the weight of the trol and the GCT's will chew up the disc's at the same rate as the 4wd's.

mudski
20th November 2012, 09:16 PM
@ stevogq, I get mine at cost price from where I work part time, and had worked there previously full time for 18 years. Which is good as I can buy Nissan OEM parts cheaper than from Nizzbits, still bloody expensive though. So sourcing them won't be an issue its just what sort of pads to get. I might go the 4wd pads, I'm not sure yet. I don't want to compromise braking ability just to make the rotors last longer...

But as I've said Bendix will be the only brakes I use...