PDA

View Full Version : Who's square

threedogs
20th November 2012, 08:15 PM
Anyone else square when looking for cooking or camping gear. Got my mate to make a square billy. don't laugh yet but just think how well all this packs away, with no rattles. Pics encouraged, billy about 150mm square S/S. Small bracket on the side is so you can lift and pour the hot water

stevogq
20th November 2012, 08:27 PM
smart thinking 3d i like it, inventor among us

MEGOMONSTER
20th November 2012, 08:47 PM
Now your thinking inside the square. Lol

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

threedogs
20th November 2012, 08:50 PM
Well they don't give you round tubs to pack your stuff in, eh, just made sense, thats all

Bloodyaussie
20th November 2012, 09:00 PM
Ohh who's a cleaver boy then... you get a little gold star and you have made student of the week!!!!!!!

Not a bad idea though.

my third 256
21st November 2012, 04:06 AM
all you need is the square mugs to go with it

BigRAWesty
21st November 2012, 06:15 AM
Very nice. Mild steel I'm guessing? Who are you going to stop the rust??
And what's the little lip on the side? I'd guess to hold the lid??

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
21st November 2012, 09:17 PM
Nah thats stainless mates used to work at Q mart before getting golden handshake. Heres my next thing I'm mucking around with. Saw this jaffle/waffle maker on Ebay from the UK. told them to unscrew the handles and send it, but told me handles weren't removeable. I'll post two pics , First is of a bit of 50mm pipe 200mm long I've sliced roughly in half. Cleaned then up with wire wheel on 8" grinder, miles from finished, but see how we go.

Next I'LL fully weld, some how hinge them together and weld some long handles to them. The idea is to be able to cook a few snags and some onions, not quite sure yet, going to try out at cod opening,

threedogs
22nd November 2012, 09:29 PM
Tack welded it together, now just need to fully weld, hinge it some how and put some long handles on it. Hope it works . throw some sausages in there and some cut up onion and hopefully get a feed. find out soon enough.

BigRAWesty
22nd November 2012, 09:47 PM
Stainless steel piano hinge is what your after 3D.
Always something going on...

threedogs
22nd November 2012, 09:57 PM
Blacksmith kind of guy so it'll need to look old school. I'll forge something up just depends how the meds ,rum or beer mix. Don't do that at home though, read directions

Alitis007
22nd November 2012, 10:04 PM
Why not make the hing like a gate with 1 male end and 1 female end so you can pull it apart easily to clean ??

threedogs
23rd November 2012, 09:53 AM
Along those lines, this pic is for Westy on how you got water out of square billy. The trivett is made from fencing wire, watch for an updated version soon, made of cast iron just to tease a few

scotty83
23rd November 2012, 10:05 AM
only prob I've had with square cooking gear is trying to clean out the corners. Sounds like a plan for the billy though. Love the nice strong handle/lifter. Nice work

threedogs
23rd November 2012, 10:13 AM
Yeah dying to make a large square camp oven, mainly cause they pack better, at least I can get a decent weld in corners for cleaning.
still making it probably 8mm mild steel about 450mm x 300mm by 200mm high. Got to work it all out yet but if cooks anything like my
32kg job I'll be very happy. Must admit billy handle was after thought as steam kept burning hand, S/S very shifty material when very hot.

threedogs
20th January 2013, 10:21 PM
Sticking to the square theme this is my latest pic up off ebay only $12 at my front door . just under 300mm square. love it
Made in USA underneath