PDA

View Full Version : Triple Battery Set Up - Need some advice

tlinnell86
19th November 2012, 08:58 PM
Hey Guys,

With the purchase of my first Patrol luming near, I am starting to make some plans. First thing I will be doing is Adding a Winch, my Stereo System and Camping Setup.

I have always been a person of doing things one time and one time only, which means properly the first time. So here is my idea......

I would like to run Dual Auxilary Battery Set Up but not sure totally how to go about it. I would like to run a CCA Battery Under the bonnet for a Jump Start Battery and then a Deep Cycle in the back (in a battery cell ofcourse) to run my stereo system, eventually a fridge maybe some accessories. Would also like to have a manual overide for the Jump Start Battery.

I know that I will need an Isolator or Bisolator , but just not sure what else I am going to need.

Should I run the winch off the CCA Aux Battery or of the Main Starter Battery?

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

threedogs
19th November 2012, 09:18 PM
Your winch will run off your CCA start battery, why 3 batteries one 750cca start and a 100am Aux with a 80 watt Solar and 100amp alternator will see you self sefficient .
Running all you camp lighting ,Engel,Winch, Ran 3 batteries in my other 4x4 but now wthh LEDs who needs them, I've never ran out of battery every and I take everything 12volts. Wire your radio straight to aux, as when you forget late at night the start battery is there for just that starting. got to have motor on when winching. Wire all your amps gps radio etc to aux, leave start batt alone

Benno7
19th November 2012, 09:35 PM
To run three batteries your either going to want a twin alternator setup or a dc to dc charger (red arc or c-tek)
so with twin alternator leave standard alternator with main battery run the second alt to 2nd and 3rd battery
OR run dual battery system as you normally would then a dc to dc charger from the main to the third battery with a isolator between the main and third battery.
You could just link all three but it would just take too long to charge them from one charging source.
I have the twin alt option and works a treat but it was a lot of mucking around (mounting the 2nd alt).

megatexture
19th November 2012, 10:07 PM
Could go a dual set up and go a marine batt for aux so you can jump off it also. x2on redarc or the ctek 250 dual
I'd love dual alt but don't think I'd fit one in lol

threedogs
19th November 2012, 10:19 PM
Big job fitting two on the GU very similar to fitting endlessair, it'll take a day. why not run two batteries and a third in a battery box to move around camp. works for me. only need 100amp
alternator to run 3 batteries, but still can't see why, with leds and all this other low current stuff going around

Cuppa
19th November 2012, 10:50 PM
OR run dual battery system as you normally would then a dc to dc charger from the main to the third battery with a isolator between the main and third battery.

My ex Telstra truck came with a dual battery system with the aux battery under the bonnet & charged/isolated from the crank battery via a Redarc SB12 VSR. When I put another battery bank (3 x 120ah) in the back, I used a Redarc BCDC1240 dc to dc charger between the crank battery & rear bank. I consulted Redarc who 'approved' the setup. Redarc are very helpful btw. Since then I have removed the auxiliary battery from under the bonnet, as it was unnecessary. Instead I have a manual switching arrangement between the rear battery bank & & crank battery to connect them directly for use when winching.

If using an aux battery via a VSR I think it worthwhile to regularly use it. I found that mine, basically only there to assist with winching which is something I've only very rarely done. Consequently I think the aux battery was probably underused & over charged. From the time I bought the vehicle the top of the battery was always wet (& not over filled). In our bus we have a set of batteries charged similarly via VSR with no problem, because they get regular use with lighting etc.

Cuppa

tlinnell86
20th November 2012, 10:42 PM
I think Threedogs has a point.

I wan't to run 2 amps for the sounds system. So I am going to run a Deep Cycle Battery for them and also Radio, etc. Have a charging management system for this battery.
I will be buying a fridge down the track and camp lighting etc, which I will hook up to a Solar 12v System.

This will leave the Start Battery just for Starting!!
Thanks for the advice guys!

Cuppa
21st November 2012, 12:21 AM
This will leave the Start Battery just for Starting!!

Good idea!
Solar & battery sizing will depend upon what fridge you get, plus the way you tend to camp. Requirements for weekends away or daily travelling are different to camping in one spot for a week or three at a time.

Also ( apologies if you already know all this) it is a common misconception that deep cycle batteries are designed to be fully charged & then flattened before recharging. This can be done, but severely shortens the life of the battery. I have some batteries in solar systems that are now over 7 years old & still going strong (& I hope to get another 2 or 3 years out of them yet) but the flattening/recharging type use can easily reduce battery life to 12/18months & they are not cheap to buy. Generally it is best not to discharge a deep cycle battery (wet or AGM) below 40 to 50% if you want it to last, so with a 100Ah battery you only have 50ah to use (assuming you have the means to fully charge it in the first place - something an alternator alone (via an isolator/VSR) wont do. This is what the charging management system will do. Without it your battery may only ever charge to 75% or 80%, resulting in only a useable 25Ah or 30Ah from a 100Ah battery!

Average 4x4 fridge power usage would be around 40Ah to 60Ah per day, some higher depending upon ambient temperatures, size of fridge, compressor efficiency, thickness of insulation & how often it is opened.

A balanced solar system provides sufficient power & can fully recharge the battery(ies) each day by early to mid afternoon. Individual choice about how many days buffer against crap weather is desirable. (battery size) You get some input on even the crappiest days.

For long term use - nothing worse than constantly chasing your tail/worrying about flattening your batteries. More solar/less battery is better than vice versa especially with the greatly reduced price of solar now. Lead is still expensive.

Foe weekend use where batterires may get a flogging & recharged once home again, it makes more sense just to buy cheaper ordinary batteries (not deep cycle), but bear in mind if they are to be charged through a half decent solar regulator they will gas & need topping up regularly - and not kept inside the vehicle where the gassing will not only stink, but will also present an explosion risk. If it must be inside the vehicle, an AGM type is the better way to go.

Cuppa