PDA

View Full Version : nissan patrol gq y60 carby petrol

tonyb
19th November 2012, 06:39 PM
hi to all. i have a 94 gq 4.2 petrol patrol with what seems to be a blown head gasket it still runs fine it just get hotter than it should.I have had a mechanic look at it and he says looks to be just a gasket so now its in a mechanics shop and they say it needs a new motor could anyone point me in rite direction of what to do.

Diesel-Mate
22nd November 2012, 06:25 PM
When your car is COLD take the radiator cap off and turn it on, if you see bubbles in the radiator spout you've got a blown head gasket. That's a pretty easy fix but if its over heated the head might be wrapped. Does it only heat up, or does it miss heaps?

It could be just a blocked radiator or a stuck thermostat, ask them to check that and also ask them for there reason for engine replacement and post it here.

GQ TANK
23rd November 2012, 03:33 PM
If its just a head gasket - it should be a lot cheaper to replace the gasket crack test & mechine the head and new head bolts.

tonyb
24th November 2012, 12:49 PM
ok it just heats while driving so am not driving it at the moment still starts and runs fine and does not miss at all. also mechanic says blown head gasket and replacement engine because compression is down to 60% in to cylinders and they dont know if there is further damage to the rest of the motor and have also found out this is the 2nd head 1st one was cracked by last owner.

Diesel-Mate
24th November 2012, 12:52 PM
You could just do the head gasket and fit some new rings aswell to keep her going