PDA

View Full Version : Zd30 intercooler

BOWZER
19th November 2012, 08:52 AM
Hi I was wondering if I could change the top mount inter cooler to a front mount? Or would I have problems?

Cheers chris

mudski
19th November 2012, 09:08 AM
I couldn't see why not. Its just the mounting and piping config's you would have to work out. Just thinking out aloud here. Why couldn't you run both? Two IC's would surely be better than one.

BOWZER
19th November 2012, 09:17 AM
You probably could but I'm not sure, does any one know if a intercooler leaks how much boot would be lost?

mudski
19th November 2012, 09:21 AM
It would only leak if it has a hole in it. Other than that it should leak at all.
Why do you want to go front mount anyway? If its for on road performance you could put on a ARE scoop which catches in a crap load more air than the stock POS. Much cheaper too.

BOWZER
19th November 2012, 09:26 AM
Well cos I'm having issues with my rig only getting a max 11psi I removed the dawes controller and retested the boost level and still only getting 11psi, my factory intercooler is looking a little dark near the outlet so I think it might have a leak, and recores for the I/c is $550, I was thinking front mount cos there cheaper

BillsGU
19th November 2012, 09:32 AM
To test the boost without the intercooler you could bypass it temporarily with a piece of hose. If your boost does not improve you won't have wasted lots of money on a new intercooler. You could also try to borrow someone else' intercooler to test.

mudski
19th November 2012, 09:35 AM
Get it pressure tested then. These IC's are known for leaking around the tanks. Guests 4wd down here in Fairfield pump smoke right through the intake system as its easy to spot if there are any leaks.

BOWZER
19th November 2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks for that I will take it to get tested