PDA

View Full Version : my patrol GR problems

OhBugger
15th November 2012, 06:35 AM
Hi all,

I've allready posted som other questions on this board about my car but now i'd like to make a new one... I own a 1999 Patrol GR with the 2.8 tdi engine.
My patrol has allways been smokey (even before i bought it) And when i say smokey, i mean it. I think the army could use my car as a smoke screen creator to cover a retreat...
The island i'm living on (aruba) has kind of crappy fuel (i heard someone say, only 70% of the stuff you put in your tank is actually diesel) so that is possibly a contributing factor.
About the smoke:
- it smokes on low revs when i'm asking a lot of the engine (driving up a hill or somthing)
- it creates a smoke screen above 3500 rpm in 2nd gear, in 3rd it kind of limps after 2500rpm, does go up in the revs, but without any noise or real feel of increasing power
EGR is allready blocked
I'm thinking about a couple of possibilities that are a cause of the problem, but before i start spending a lot of money i'd like your thoughts:
- clogged up injectors
- defect/leak in turbo
- turbo hose not attached too well
(- and of course the shitty fuel over here (pardon my french))

What would you guys think about this?
Next week i'm going to check the turbo hoses for trouble with one of our mechanics on base

thanks allready!

macca86
15th November 2012, 07:02 AM
Do all of those and you should find your problem black smoke is when your turbo hoses or intercooler have leaks

Wine_maker
15th November 2012, 02:31 PM
Hi!
Firstly (and the most simple) I recommend to check the injection moment it could be changed by previous owner.
There is a small extruded marks on the top of the fuel pump and in the place where it fix to the body of engine.
Are they fixed opposite each other?

threedogs
15th November 2012, 04:56 PM
Do All diesels is Aruba belch black smoke or just yours, if just yours check what Wine-maker says,
getting too much fuel somehow

OhBugger
15th November 2012, 08:11 PM
Do All diesels is Aruba belch black smoke or just yours, if just yours check what Wine-maker says,
getting too much fuel somehow

Lot's of diesels are slightly smokey. Mine is extreme
I'll be sure to check the injection

Wine_maker
16th November 2012, 02:59 AM
May be you could make some experiments with nozzles moment. A 1 mm on the clockwise or counter.
Then check the nozzles.
Change air and fuel filters. This is basic and most cheapest stages to find a problem place.

OhBugger
25th November 2012, 05:25 AM
Well, I removed the intercooler and cleaned it. I think almost half a liter of oil came out of it and the hoses leading to it.
Engine runs a bit smoother now, but I'm hearing the turbo wistle. And it still smokes a lot at 3500 rpm or heavy driving
Can it be leaking?

OhBugger
15th January 2014, 11:35 AM
Well, an update from Aruba, did some (a years worth) of driving, had a bunch of problems (2x new clutch, 1 new flywheel) but after all that trouble it seems to be going better al the time.
Did some service (oil, fuel, airfilters) an voila. I've got power, a turbo that does seem to function (maybe with some overboost, but i can't check, no meters) so that part works a lot better

Now i've got one problem that really needs fixing: the brakes. Apparently the pistons and seals on the front brakes are rusty and leaking, so i've only got stopping power after pumping the brakes. Ordered the part and should be here in 2 weeks time...

Wine_maker
15th January 2014, 03:04 PM
Did you fix oil catch can to protect intercooler and engine? If no, it will be good idea! You can find it in DIY threat.
In case of bad fuel, fuel water separator can help a little bit also.

OhBugger
15th January 2014, 09:48 PM
Did you fix oil catch can to protect intercooler and engine? If no, it will be good idea! You can find it in DIY threat.
In case of bad fuel, fuel water separator can help a little bit also.
I had been thinking about doing that, but I've decided not to do much engine mods to this Trol anymore. I'm leaving Aruba coming August and I don't think the costs outweigh the benefit.
From now on I think I'll keep her running like this. When I return to Europe I'm thinking of buying a new (2nd hand) one and converting it for camping.