PDA

View Full Version : looking for advise

lukebrah
14th November 2012, 09:12 PM
g'day

just joined this forum seeking advise as i am looking at buying a 2003 4.2l nissan patrol that has done 210,000. was just wondering if anyone could help me out with the ins and outs of this model and if there are any problems with this model that i should be cautious of?

cheers

DX grunt
14th November 2012, 09:29 PM
G'day mate

Are you looking at buying it from a dealer or privately?

If it's private, I'd be doing a REVS check and getting a roadworthy done on it. Make sure you sight the roadworthy certificate and make sure any 'things' are fixed.

It should come with a logbook. If not, ask to see receipts for all the previous work done to it.

I have a 4.2TDi, and got it at 180,000. I'm more than happy with it.

Make a list of wants and needs - then prioritize. These things are money pits!!! lol Do lotsa research until you're satisified that that's the way you want to go - with no regrets.

Hope this is a starting point for you. Others will have their say- I hope. lol

All the best with your hunt.

Take care out there.

Rossco

healy
14th November 2012, 09:32 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

lukebrah
14th November 2012, 09:35 PM
it has got roadworthy and full service history on it. are there any particular flaws i should be looking out for in this model?

my third 256
15th November 2012, 03:27 AM
There was a small production run of 5 Speed boxes where the splines were not fully machined for 5th gear. Obviosly it took a while for the failures to occur and when the did Nissan replaced the faulty components.

I think the problem was very late 90's to very early 2000's but not exactly sure

All was OK prior and since

wildgu6
15th November 2012, 06:36 AM
G'day buddy, Welcome aboard.
Great bunch here with tons of advice, info, adventures and plenty of laughs to absorb.
Join in and soak it all up. You will meet some top people

Enjoy, cheers Pete

Tappn the App Beers on Tap

growler2058
15th November 2012, 07:56 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

threedogs
15th November 2012, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the forum great ppl, plenty of info and tips.
You might be better putting this question in the right area you'll get a better response as well

The Big Rig
15th November 2012, 10:42 AM
hey mate, welcome to the forum, enjoy

lukebrah
15th November 2012, 10:52 AM
Cheers for the help fellas!

2TROLLFAM
16th November 2012, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the Forum .. Awesome bunch of guys & girls here .. you should enjoy !! :)

Dhuck
16th November 2012, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

MEGOMONSTER
16th November 2012, 10:24 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Rustyboner81
17th November 2012, 02:32 AM
welcome aboard mate

macca
17th November 2012, 05:45 AM
G'day Luke,
Are you looking at a wagon or a ute?

The coil tower mounts in the rear need a good look when doing a check on a hoist. They can get damaged due to over or constant loading. There is a simple preventative fix using a strengthening kit.

Check there is no deformation or cracks, same around the steering box and panhard rod at the other end. Unusual problem but does exist.

The spare wheel on the wagon door can cause some damage not sure where but have seen posts here of people repairing damage.

Checking oil seepage / leaks, a small amount is probably not an issue but be aware.

Do the wheels spin freely off the ground and no play in all directions on the fronts, spindles are expensive items.

Rust in the floor under the mats /carpet, noises in the drive train, excesive smoke - all things to look for.

Good luck mate, hope you find a good one.

hancock
19th November 2012, 11:24 AM
welcome aboard

Maxhead
20th November 2012, 05:56 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

Finly Owner
2nd December 2012, 01:19 AM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Luke

Tim