PDA

View Full Version : Altenator upgrade??

ricksue1
14th November 2012, 04:23 PM
Hi
I have a 2010 gu 3lt trubo diesel manual patrol, it is fitted with a dual battery system, waeco fridge, spot lights and other electrical items. My question is should I also consider upgrading my altenator. The reason I ask is that the new cranking battery (about 3 moths old) is having some trouble in starting (takes a few extra second).

I live in Tennant Creek and even after stopping the car after travelling about 300 km's and I restart it, it is as if the car has been sitting for weeks before starting it.

Thank you for all your comments.

Rick

threedogs
14th November 2012, 06:00 PM
Are you waiting for glow plug light to go off. Yendor may be your man here for an answer, other than that check all your earths.

ricksue1
14th November 2012, 06:10 PM
Yes I do wait for the glow plug to go out and a second or 2 after it has gone out, before turning the key all the way. Still with a brand new battery supplied by nissan I would expect better cranking

threedogs
14th November 2012, 06:25 PM
How many cca does your start battery have eg 700cca would be classed as good

Yendor
14th November 2012, 06:47 PM
Does the engine seem to turn over to slow during cranking?

Why was the original battery replaced? for the same reason?

Does your fridge run 24/7? and to which battery is it wired?

What type of dual battery system do you have? what type is the second battery and where is it mounted?

I wouldn't think you will need to get a higher output alternator, you may need to change your setup depending on how you answer the above questions.

I recommend you get the vehicle checked by your local Auto electrician, they will be able to checked the charge circuit, starting circuit and also make sure nothing is draining the battery when the vehicle is switched off.

Is that Tennant Creek in the NT? how's the fuel quality up there? when did you last replace your fuel filter?

threedogs
14th November 2012, 06:57 PM
Bloke might be called Cleatis at the creek stayed there for a short period
Also make sure all terminals are clean and tight, as clean with scotch bright to remove coating