PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Control Problem

pete2004
13th November 2012, 07:42 PM
My 2003 ZD30 regularly looses power under load and dumps smoke out the exhaust. Have had the turbo checked and is mechanically good but mechanic suggests air flow sensor may be faulty. Any thoughts on this?
Pete

BillsGU
13th November 2012, 08:07 PM
Why didn't he replace it then? He may be right.

pete2004
13th November 2012, 08:14 PM
Sorry all, have just read the thread under mechanical by YNOT on MAF cleaning. great advice here so will give it a go.

Lieney
13th November 2012, 08:26 PM
pete,
check the MAF but ensure it has a good earth. Mine earths under the plastic engine cover on the left (facing the front of the car) under the intercooler.
If you have not recently changed your fuel filter, consider that. This was my main issue leading me down the garden path.
Car running sweet now, and also with a new MAF.
I had issues with mine (ZD30 loosing power) and there was heaps of things I checked so if you get stuck for things to check, look it up.

BillsGU
13th November 2012, 09:59 PM
Sorry all, have just read the thread under mechanical by YNOT on MAF cleaning. great advice here so will give it a go.

Even though mine has a catch can, the mechanic I take it to always cleans the MAF at every service. He says he does that to all 3L Patrols.

choppie
13th November 2012, 10:48 PM
What mods have you done Pete? If throttle pedal just drops to the floor it will be an over boost issue and you will need to fit a dawes valve etc.

threedogs
13th November 2012, 10:58 PM
AS Choppie says it may be over boosting, time to fit some guages so you can monitor whats going on instead of guessing.
Take engine cover off and make sure all your hoses are tight, change all clamps to constant pressure too by far best hose clamps going around
Sounds like you need to NAD it

pete2004
3rd January 2013, 05:42 PM
Still going on this issue. Cleaned MAF, replaced fuel filter, then found turbo inlet hose cracked. Eventually replaced inlet hose with one from wreckers. Problem of no power and brown smoke still occuring but less often. Water in Fuel warning light came on yesterday but did not come on again once engine restarted. Opened drain in fuel filter but only fuel come out. Any thoughts on any connection between problem and warning light? Whats a NAD?. Is the MAF really necessary - has anyone a method of bypassing these complicated bits?
Pete

happygu
3rd January 2013, 05:52 PM
You need the MAF, as this tells the engine how much air is going in and at what temperature, so it can adjust the amount of fuel required.

Depending on how old yours is, I would look at replacing it, or swapping for a known good on ( To Test )e, if you know someone with the same model as yours.
There are a couple of different part numbers according to the year, one for Series 2,3 - up to 2004, and one for the later years.

WYLD333
4th January 2013, 04:40 PM
Still going on this issue. Cleaned MAF, replaced fuel filter, then found turbo inlet hose cracked. Eventually replaced inlet hose with one from wreckers. Problem of no power and brown smoke still occuring but less often. Water in Fuel warning light came on yesterday but did not come on again once engine restarted. Opened drain in fuel filter but only fuel come out. Any thoughts on any connection between problem and warning light? Whats a NAD?. Is the MAF really necessary - has anyone a method of bypassing these complicated bits?
Pete

No point bypassing the problem mate it will always b there, bandaid solutions r no good especially if u go bush. You really need to install atleast a boost gauge to see whats hapening n also egt. Nissan anti detonation system is nads

WYLD333
4th January 2013, 04:42 PM
Have a look around ur intercooler 4 any leaks, stock intercoolers r garbage n prone to leaking

mudski
7th January 2013, 03:53 PM
Pete

NADs stands for
Nissan
Anti
Detonation
system
It consists of

Dawes valve - to limit the amount of boost pressure to the engine. Which I think is the root of your evil
EGR blanking plate
Catch can
Needle valve - to control the spool up rate of the turbo
Exhaust gas temperature guage
Boost gauge

The latter two need to be done first as you need to see what is going on when you fit the rest.

pete2004
8th January 2013, 07:42 PM
WYLD333 Had it right - the intercooler is leaking - replacement from Nissan $1800! Anyone tried an aftermarket alternative? Anyone tried tried bypassing with a hose section as an interim measure?
Pete

mudski
8th January 2013, 09:28 PM
A leaking intercooler won't make your car blow smoke. Unless it already does. I blew a hose right off the IC and I blew no smoke, just had no power at all and loud induction noise.
As for the leaking IC. You can get it rewelded but bucket loads less, or you can get an aftermarket IC from A.R.E, ASE or Cross Country. Which will outperform the OEM POS by a country mile. My IC was welded up so I'm still trying to find an excuse to why I need a new IC.

Plus a leak in the IC will not cause low power like you descibed, unless its got a big, big hole in it.

WYLD333
8th January 2013, 09:51 PM
When my intercooler was shagged mine blew a bit of smoke 2 under heavy loads, ur car will dump more fuel because of the bad air flow readings. Look on ebay mate you can get a half decent reco'd one for around $600 changeover from memory, ring up some wreckers for a second handy if around the same price, or if u have the coin go a cross country or one of the good aftermarket brands

mudski
8th January 2013, 09:57 PM
Yeah you could be right there wyld...

BillsGU
8th January 2013, 09:58 PM
Strange - when my intercooler hose popped off the Patrol blew huge amounts of black smoke, soot and diesel all over my caravan. It also had no power at all. Had to muck about on the side of the road (at night of course) and put it back on. All was then OK.

WYLD333
8th January 2013, 10:09 PM
Yeah you could be right there wyld...

Maybe...... we'll c once he's got the new cross country lol

happygu
8th January 2013, 10:29 PM
Definitely recommend a reputable aftermarket intercooler from one of the main manufacturers rather than the stock Nissan Intercooler, as these aftermarket ones are made using better materials, and will give you superior performance.

mudski
8th January 2013, 10:55 PM
i'm curious too how much better a CC or ARE IC is compared to the stock one. Real world, not stats printed on a page. Last thing I would want is to fork out the cash for a new IC only to drive it and feel no difference in performance.

BillsGU
9th January 2013, 10:17 AM
i'm curious too how much better a CC or ARE IC is compared to the stock one. Real world, not stats printed on a page. Last thing I would want is to fork out the cash for a new IC only to drive it and feel no difference in performance.

"Real world" would probably be hard to tell the difference. You would see differences on a dyno. Any power / economy improvement you get is worthwhile as it will save you money in the long run.

Drew
9th January 2013, 12:59 PM

The main difference I noticed with mine was that on 40deg days I still have plenty of power where with the OEM one she dragged her butt like a dog with worms :)

BillsGU
9th January 2013, 01:06 PM
The main difference I noticed with mine was that on 40deg days I still have plenty of power where with the OEM one she dragged her butt like a dog with worms :)

Too true - especially as most after market intercoolers have a fan as well.

WYLD333
9th January 2013, 05:07 PM

Agreed prob only notice a slight difference on the hotter days

pete2004
12th January 2013, 12:40 PM
Reconditioned Intercooler installed and all works well. Intercooler from Turbotech for $880 (Perth prices!) as quicker and easier than internet. Many thanks for help on forum.
Pete

WYLD333
13th January 2013, 04:19 PM
Good wrk m8 glad u got it sorted out