PDA

View Full Version : General Mechanical Question

Rayza
13th November 2012, 04:17 PM
Hi all

Just curious, i have small bubbles in my oil immediately after i turn the car off (and been running it for a while).

Ive read so many conflicting stories, from what i know it is the crank splashing in the oil pan (obvious problem - too much oil).

But its just on (at worst slightly over full) is this a major problem, should i drain some oil quick stick or is it ok??

How bad is it to have too much engine oil in car?

Alitis007
13th November 2012, 06:46 PM
You can expect to have some bubbles in your oil after the car has been running coz of splash and squirt type of lubrication inside your motor, and if your checking the oil hot it has more then likely expanded and showing over full. When the motor is cold and the oil level is 3mm its probably got half a liter more the its supposed to and there is nothing to worry about BUT if its been over filled by 2 or 3 liters then you can do some serious damage eg break or twist the crank shaft due to the fact of oil causing drag while the crank is at high rpm. Make sure your car is level on a flat surface when you check your oil level !!

Lieney
13th November 2012, 06:58 PM
x2 Alitis007
Full reservoir and only just switched off there will be bubbles.
Unless these are water bubbles? Are they? Do a pressure check on your cooling system. Check under the 710 cap. I mean the OIL cap and see if there is milky gluggy crap under it. This is a decent sign water is getting into your oil. Could be head gasket, head or block maybe.
A mate had a petrol Bundera that had bubbles on the dip-stick, but it was overheating. On pulling the sump plug, approx 2-3L of water poured out. I thought he'd undone the wrong plug for a second watching water pour out.
How old is the oil? Old / 'worn out' oil will not function very well as the oil has additives to make it function propperly within the engine environment. Additives such as anti-foaming agents, demulsifyers, anti-coagulants, etc etc etc are added to make the oil stick to components, stop or limit foaming etc etc.
If the oil is old change it.
Are you running synthetic oil? Mineral oil has a tendency to become more gluggy (what a term, dam my memory) as it is more succeptable to contaminents from a diesel engine. Synthetic oil in general is superior for a diesel and has far less issues with impurities, problems etc

Rayza
14th November 2012, 04:28 PM
cool thanks for the info guys. i can guarantee you that its not water bubbles. ive had a lot of people check the car out and they are amazed at how good condition the car is in. im only asking because im maintaining the car myself (with help from a mechanic friend of mine) so that if something happens whilst i am out on a track i can identify problems and at least get myself out of trouble. Hes out of town at the moment so couldnt ask him for his advice.

I change the oil and filter at 5000km intervals. can anyone point me in the right direction as to where i could bulk buy filters and or oil?? i rang bursons and they dont do bulk buys with the filters and the 20L drums of oil they had arent the type of oil i use (Shell helix HX7 10w-40).

I did check the oil about 5 mins after the i turned car off and the oil line is just under full when cold

Alitis007
14th November 2012, 04:39 PM
To bulk buy you need a trade account even then you only save a couple of bucks per filter unless you can get it at wholesale prices and thats the same for the oil, you will save the most if you bought a 202ltr / 44 gallon drum at roughly 800 odd dollars unless you no an oil dealer?