PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump and injectors, after some advice

The Big Rig
11th November 2012, 08:57 PM
hey, i have just bought my first patrol 1999 4.2 n/a diesel dx5, was blowing a bit of smoke and noticed some diesel on the fuel pump, put the car in the shop and had the injectors and fuel pump rebuilt, when i picked the car up i asked how he went with tuning the pump, he said he took it for quick drive and felt like it did before rebuild so didn't need to be done? does this sound right to you guys?

was told that the injectors and pump were original, 300,000 km's on the clock

driving it since rebuild i have noticed no or little improvement on acceleration, but have noticed that it no longer blows smoke or very little, a little when i first start and thats all.

all so what sort of economy do you get out of these 4.2 n/a's, before the injectors and pump rebuilt i was getting around 19 litres per 100km's, after rebuild around 15 litres per 100km's. forgot to mention, i have full length roof rack on the patrol at the moment, winch, steel bull bar, and scrub bars/side steps.

Do you guys think i need to take somewhere else and get a tune done? anyone know somewhere good to go to in the townsville area?

is it worth getting snorkel, and a bigger exhaust to help her breath better? want to get turbo in the future just need to save funds..

BigRAWesty
11th November 2012, 09:06 PM
Good move on the injectors, and that would have stopped the smoke as the injectors would now be sealing properly..

As for the pump well there as tough as nails.. If you want more poke get your mechanic to show you how to increase your fuel flow. I doubt he'll do it but he should be able show you.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Ben-e-boy
12th November 2012, 08:43 AM
15L/100 sounds abit high. I am seein 11L/100, with a custom pump with a 12mm plunger (10mm standard),21psi and over 200hp. It is 13L/100 with the 35's.
I think yours might need to go on the dyno to get tuned properly

Benny

BigRAWesty
12th November 2012, 09:15 AM
Yea I'm getting around 13-14L/100 on the highway with an original pump and 250thou old injectors.
Father inlaw reckons his full length roof rack adds a bit over 1L/ 100, so I don't think your far off for an NA 4.2

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

makeitfit
12th November 2012, 09:38 AM
15L/100 sounds abit high. I am seein 11L/100, with a custom pump with a 12mm plunger (10mm standard),21psi and over 200hp. It is 13L/100 with the 35's.
I think yours might need to go on the dyno to get tuned properly

Benny
Can you tell me more about your pump mods to get me 200 bhp ? Sounds awesome ;)