PDA

View Full Version : GQ TD42 Oil filter mess

BULLFROG
11th November 2012, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone, i have a question about when doing a oil and filters change. Does anyone have any tricks on reducing the mess when removing the oil filters??? I loosen and let as much oil drain as possible into tray, but always have oil run over starter motor, side of engine, front tailshaft and uni.
Just a big mess evertime. Any ideas please ?

BigRAWesty
11th November 2012, 11:57 AM
High pressure hot water once you have finished..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

nissannewby
11th November 2012, 05:11 PM
There was someone who was making nifty little drain trays for them maybe try googling it as I cant remember who it was.

my third 256
11th November 2012, 05:41 PM
put a plastic shopping bag over it once you have loosened it and then unscrew every thing goes into bag no mess

wildgu6
11th November 2012, 07:01 PM
I lay a big sheet of plastic down first, then into container, no mess no fuss

Or you could ask Growler, lmao

Tappn the App Beers on Tap

MudRunnerTD
11th November 2012, 07:40 PM
Yep I have a couple of the item the bloke made. Works a treat! Actually I might be interested in selling 1. I bought 2 but it does not fit the GUIV with the TD42Ti as some of the anti pollution stuff is in the way. But LOVE IT on the GQ

MudRunnerTD
11th November 2012, 07:42 PM
I took some pics as I fitted it up, I'll have to go see if I can find the pics.

Basically it's a custom made tray that bolts to the engine block using existing threaded holes and has a hose hanging off the bottom that drains to the bucket your using. Works a treat and Zero mess

BigRAWesty
11th November 2012, 07:52 PM
Wrong thread.. Doh

growler2058
11th November 2012, 08:06 PM
I lay a big sheet of plastic down first, then into container, no mess no fuss

Or you could ask Growler, lmao

Tappn the App Beers on Tap

Yeah I'm reeeeel good at it
Here's a spot on my lawn that copped it bad! Maybe 8mths ago now

Sent via my tapping thumbs

BULLFROG
11th November 2012, 10:44 PM
Thankyou for your ideas, i would love to see pic of drain tray and buy one if possible. I have often wished i was clever enough to make something like that.

dysonest
29th October 2015, 10:27 AM
old thread but if u crack the filters till they're loose (but not dropping oil) and then pull the sump plug 99% of the time doin this will suck oil from the filters. so after u drain the sump and put the plug back in when u take the filters off they shouldnt drip any oil. give it a try and let me know how you go

Hodge
29th October 2015, 10:55 AM
Old thread. Was just speaking to mudski about it this morning ... Next time I do the filters, I'll throw a jack passenger side of car and jack it up, it'll help with retaining the oil in the filters.

Robo
29th October 2015, 11:32 AM
I took some pics as I fitted it up, I'll have to go see if I can find the pics.

Basically it's a custom made tray that bolts to the engine block using existing threaded holes and has a hose hanging off the bottom that drains to the bucket your using. Works a treat and Zero mess

Like to see the pics please.
Still have that spare tray ??.
No pollution gear ex factory, interested in this idea for sure.

MudRunnerTD
29th October 2015, 04:37 PM
The Trays are made by Chicken who is a vendor I think on P4x4. I tried to get him over here but oh well.

He has now made a tray to suit the TD42Ti motor too and Stropp and I were Beta testers for it.

I now have a Chicken Tray on both my TD42s and they are AWESOME! Bastard to fit but wicked at what they do.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/430.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/431.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/432.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/433.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/434.jpg

I will have to check if I still have the spare? I think I gave it to AB when I fitted his winch up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!

AB
29th October 2015, 06:42 PM
I think I gave it to AB when I fitted his winch up? !
Nop I don't know what you're talking about ;)

growler2058
29th October 2015, 07:47 PM
The mighty GU CRD comes with a factory tray and drain hose. I will never be in the shit for oiling the lawn again!! Now for a way not to poison the lawn with coolant

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

Robo
30th October 2015, 01:28 AM
Like the look of it indeedeee.
How much?.
would be sweet to installwhile engines out but going back in this weekend,
touch wood
PM

Hodge
30th October 2015, 06:15 AM
I think they were around $105 from memory.

Hodge
30th October 2015, 06:15 AM
Correction $115. Here is his thread.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/supporting-vendors-51/chickens-td42-oil-spill-tray-72396/

jff45
30th October 2015, 08:32 AM
I made mine from a piece of Trimdek guttering before I put the engine in.
There's a lot less room with the big Ebay starter motor.
I had to braze in a copper elbow and then ran a copper downpipe around the starter.

Once the engine was in, I had to remove the 2 filters to fit the starter so it was a good test. Worked a treat..

Robo
30th October 2015, 09:24 AM
Nop I don't know what you're talking about ;)

Opp's,
Now ya owe the boss something, lol.

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2015, 02:21 PM
Like the look of it indeedeee.
How much?.
would be sweet to installwhile engines out but going back in this weekend,
touch wood
PM

If you have the engine out then you should be able to make something pretty easy to be honest. This item is simple in design and works a treat because its bloody tight down there to figure things out. If you have the engine on a stand the Easy Peezy.

mudski
30th October 2015, 05:28 PM
Yeah i gotta get me one of those trays. Bit exy on the price but he's spent the time for r&d so its worth it i reckon.
Bloody good invention that...

Hodge
30th October 2015, 05:32 PM
Yeah i gotta get me one of those trays. Bit exy on the price but he's spent the time for r&d so its worth it i reckon.
Bloody good invention that...

Yeah, the mission is the installation haha. I mean it's hard enough getting to the filters let alone, fitting this thing with the engine fitted to the car.
Also you have a larger starter motor ? not sure if you'll have room for one of these...

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2015, 05:33 PM
They are a Bastard to Fit!!! If you have Small hands you will do it easier. be patient though! its a biatch!

Robo
30th October 2015, 09:53 PM
If you have the engine out then you should be able to make something pretty easy to be honest. This item is simple in design and works a treat because its bloody tight down there to figure things out. If you have the engine on a stand the Easy Peezy.

Yes agree, thought of that also.
Yeah m2cw price is a little high have plenty of scrap ally laying around.
cheers