PDA

View Full Version : Relauching a build thread... BOB!

Agronaught
10th November 2012, 05:38 PM
Yes, it's called BOB... My kids named it from the first three letters on the number plate (state issued).

I'll relaunch my build thread now that I've come to solving the coolant loss problem, namely a new engine is being installed next week so I'm hoping to be out in the bush a week later ;) A bit of a bugger when you have a cracked head and no mechanic is able to tell you that's the problem :(

The cars a 2003 GU III 4.8 ST (TB48DE) and will have a new motor (3 yr unlimited km warranty). Once I pick it up it will be back to the LPG mechanic for a tune to make sure it's all good. No turbo at this stage but it is an option I'll consider down the path.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/62.jpg

I've installed:

* GME TX3340 80CH UHF as I like having the controls on the mike and hiding the radio away. Seems odd to install a radio that only does 5 watts, I have amateur handhelds with more power that that.
* Yaesu FT-857D Amateur multiband transceiver (1.8MHz -> 440MHZ).
* Sony blue tooth radio for hands free etc.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/63.jpg

Along with the new engine I've upgraded:

* front and rear rotors to DBA T3 4000 series
* 2" Iron Man Strut / Coil Suspension Kit with foam cell shocks.
* Exedy Safari Tuff clutch kit (new engine, may as well do the clutch)
* Replacing all hoses, belts etc. New engine, may as well go the whole way.
* New radiator, thermo etc.
* Iron man heavy duty recovery kit.

The new head has all the necessary inserts for LPG, albeit the car still has the old style lpg installed. Not sure on installing the upper cylinder lubricant kite etc and will talk to the mechanic on this next week, I may well opt to upgrade the lpg to injected at some stage next year but will look to get some trips out of the way first.

* Just ordered the outback ideas recovery points for this car
* picked up an ARB CKMP12 compressor, E-Z Tyre Deflator and puncture repair kit at their sale today. Now I have a puncture repair kit I'm looking forward to not actually needing it!
* Received a 2 dial pillar pod for water temp and oil pressure gauges, after my experience with the old motor I'm not sure I trust either of the original gauges... The mix of gauges may change in the future.

To Do (no particular order or timeframe):

* Brown davis underguard (or custom job) to protect that nice-new-rather-large radiator.
* Rock sliders
* Tyre upgrade (currently 275/70/16 AT's -- considering 285/75/16's with new sunrasia rims).
* 78L long range tank in place of the existing 35L sub tank.
* Roof bars to house my existing Thule 450L roof box, shovel etc.
* trax or simiar as a lot of my driving will be family-solo.
* winch and necessary attachments...
* lighting
* storage... Whatever I can do while retaining one of the back seats as I have too many children.

Lots to do!!

While contemplating the above works and budget:

* Pressure cleaning the underbody and doing some form of rust treatment.
* learning, getting out there... having fun!!

Cheers.

MudRunnerTD
10th November 2012, 06:35 PM
Nice one, good luck with the new donk mate. Hope it's sorts it out for you and you have many years of great driving to come.

Cheers MR

Agronaught
10th November 2012, 08:17 PM
I think I'll be doing the PVA mod once I get the car back with the new engine... It's on the 'other' forum... unsure if direct links are permitted - sorry :(

threedogs
10th November 2012, 08:52 PM
Sounds good are you getting the larger aux tank from brown davis along with bash plate great piece of kit, see Kevin he will sort you out.

Agronaught
10th November 2012, 09:20 PM
Probably will John, unfortunately need to recharge the bank account first ;)

scotty83
10th November 2012, 11:11 PM
the age old problem. when you have the money you don't have the time.... when you have the time no money..... Good luck with the build

Agronaught
11th November 2012, 12:43 PM
I have to say, with a new engine going in next week i havent been gentle on the current one... Its a *lot* of fun when you push the 4.8 to its limits isnt it!

Agronaught
13th November 2012, 12:48 PM
My 4by went in for a new donk this morning. Here's hoping she pulls through...

Agronaught
27th November 2012, 07:55 AM
The patrol is running well on the new donk, also had the worn out LPG converter replaced and a flash lube added, has done wonders for the economy and will hopefully protect the engine. Also received the recovery points from Outback Ideas and need to sort out how to fit them this week.

Bloodyaussie
27th November 2012, 08:04 AM
Glad to hear mate, hope she pulls you up many tracks to come!!!!!

Agronaught
27th November 2012, 10:30 AM
First trip in the car a huge success
Had a great time at the club chrissy party. Kids didnt want to leave.

lorrieandjas
27th November 2012, 12:51 PM
Good to hear the new engine is doing its thing!

Agronaught
7th December 2012, 05:11 PM
Bit the bullet today.

I've been having problems mounting the recovery points from threedogs onto my patrol due to the mounting points for the existing (useless) alu bull bar. I've admitted defeat and ordered a bull bar that _will_ work with the recovery points and I crawled under a GU with the same bar to prove it.

Also ordered a winch and LED light bar while I was at it. Hopefully I can put it all together next weekend ;)

Agronaught
7th December 2012, 08:24 PM
To quote my Wife today.. 'The Wheels aren't big enough'.

I think thats permission for 33's ;)

PMC
8th December 2012, 05:04 PM
G'day mate!

All the best with your mods!

Regards,

RLI

Agronaught
11th December 2012, 09:01 PM
Received an early chrissy pressy

Busy starting to bolt it together. Im sure the winch will be reinstalled several times before im done.

I dont like the power at the front, not sure if spooling from the bottom of the drum would be an issue if i rotate the winch 180 degrees to put the power to the back.

Also managed to mount the outback ideas recovery points.

Agronaught
15th December 2012, 12:16 PM
Installed the new bar, looks so much better than the alloy

Still need to

*wire indicators/parkers/fog lights
*install and wire spotty's
*reinstall antenna mounts
* notch put the bash plate to allow for the recovery points.

on problem is the fair lead that came with the winch is a few mm too large to install into the slot behind the number plate... Hopefully i can get a slightly smaller fair lead.

Agronaught
30th January 2013, 08:27 AM
Hmm no update in ages.. Too busy enjoying the car ;)

Finally did the 4wd training and glad i did, learnt lots and found the car is more capable as is than all the 4wd mags and shows would have you believe.

I do need to reterminate the spotty wiring, damn crimp lugs didnt take the vibrations. Serves me right for not soldering the buggers.

The only mod im considering now is ripping out the LPG and going to a long range tank. Ill wait till next year when the inspection is due, but with the lpg usage and associated costs it simply isnt worth it for the km i drive ( weekend car).

And roof bars... And...

Agronaught
24th February 2013, 05:37 PM
Ok, So is it possible that im driving too conservatively and burning more LPG as a consequence?

Just did a 200km round trip to wyong on 1/2 a tank if lpg... Thats a first, usually 1/3 per 100km. The only difference is i didnt even try to be conservative and just enjoyed the ride...

BigRAWesty
24th February 2013, 09:41 PM
Ok, So is it possible that im driving too conservatively and burning more LPG as a consequence?

Just did a 200km round trip to wyong on 1/2 a tank if lpg... Thats a first, usually 1/3 per 100km. The only difference is i didnt even try to be conservative and just enjoyed the ride...

Sounds like you have an issue. Id be checking flow or have a professional check over it for you..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Agronaught
25th February 2013, 12:30 AM
If only i hadn't already spent thousands in professional consultations... But i take your point.

threedogs
25th February 2013, 06:55 AM
You only need a hole for gas if the old system. on late EFI the sequential seems the go,
make sure all plugs leads and filters are new ,then get your gas checked, how big is your tank?
Thinking around 400 k out of 90 ltrs of gas is about right.

My last 4x4 was dual fuel, figures never really changed towing, off road etc
minor tune issue IMO

BigRAWesty
25th February 2013, 07:02 AM
Sorry, just re read it.. if your getting that good and its not down on power or backfiring, well done.. don't touch it... ;)

But do remember, a gas tank is round. So the first 1/3 and 3/3 will fall around the same but the middle 3rd will last longer due to the extra width in the tank.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Agronaught
4th March 2013, 08:34 PM
I hadn't thought about the lack of linearity in the gauge... Makes sense now you mention it.

Just had a retune and the mix/emissions are right where they should be. Ill test it this weekend on a trip south, i got 330km out of the tank before the engine started to misfire - 87L to refill which works out at 25ish per 100 mostly offroad...

Not too bad for a mixer...

BigRAWesty
4th March 2013, 08:59 PM
That's pretty good.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Crankshaft
4th March 2013, 09:30 PM
I put injected gas on my wife's Rodeo and it has been an unmitigated disaster.
Its doing about 25L/100k whereas old red with a carby top ring is doing 17-18 litres on the 100
The Injected stuff is Stephenelli and cost me 4.5k and it is crap.

Agronaught
4th August 2014, 12:43 PM
Well after a shocking 12 months with my teenage daughter I was able to find some time between dealing with issues and work.

+ Upgraded the standard 30L sub tank to a Brown Davis 70Ltr sub tank.

Being able to carry 70L of petrol + the 120L LPG tank is a better mix. The LPG is due for inspection next year so I'm contemplating ripping the system out and putting in a long range tank at the back. LPG just isn't worth it IMHO.

+ Added a Brown Davis under body protector to protect the rather large tb48 radiator.

I've always been concerned with the 'visibility' of the radiator for sticks/rocks/etc. Problem solved :)

Now shopping for new rims and tyres...

Cheers

Agronaught
5th October 2014, 09:56 AM
Finally back camping after a bad year with illness, it's good to be out.

I'm happy to report 24l/100 towing on lpg so the new MAF sensor has made a big difference as 30l/100 was my previous experience.

I'm also in an area where LPG isn't available, so loving the long range tank right now.

Next mod...

Some cooper at Max 285/75x16's and steel rims to replace the old 275/70x16's that came with the car.

BigRAWesty
5th October 2014, 10:37 AM
Nice mate. Good to hear you making improvements on efficiency.
So I'm guessing gas got tested as apposed to torn out??

Agronaught
5th October 2014, 12:08 PM
Still pending on that decision. The log tank has to be removed for inspection next year so the inspect/remove cost comes into consideration.

Agronaught
13th October 2014, 10:48 PM
Also happy to report the overheating issue when towing up a long incline seems to be resolved. A combination of the new maf sensor correcting the fuel usage and removing all the underbody plating that came with the one hung low bullbar to improve airflow.

I've put a brown Davis radiator guard in place of the bull bar plating.

Just did the same trip as last year, towing the same load where the car previously overheated on a number of hills and the needle didn't move.

Progress!

Agronaught
27th October 2014, 08:09 PM
Now that I'm actually happy with how the car is running ;)

soon (this weekend):

* diff/gearbox breathers
* cooper ST's * 5... assuming rims that actually fit come in to stock.
* disassembly of the drivers door to remove the dent some SOB gave me a few weeks ago.

Planning:

* Repair of the centre console to remove screw holes (yay for sugru and vinyl wrap)
* new moulded carpets
* re-trim the door inserts
* new drivers seat/passenger seat
* rear bar...

and the list goes on.

Agronaught
1st November 2014, 01:28 PM
Should post this here too.

Tyre upgrade from the worn out 10yr old yokies was the go. Looks much better, should have a lot more traction offroad as well.

Cooper 285/75/r16.

Agronaught
13th November 2014, 09:32 AM
I'm still debating the lpg issue... I've never been happy with the gas setup and IMHO by the time I include the additional costs (servicing, tuning, new converter, tank inspection next year) it just isn't worth it for the km I usually travel. I did install the brown davis 70L sub tank which has made a significant difference to using the car as I can now carry a useable volume of petrol, don't have to worry so much about jerries when offroad and can treat the lpg as the 'reserve' when appropriate.

The car is used on weekends and for trips, last year a total of 8000km which isn't huge. I would really like to start doing longer trips where lpg supply is uncertain or it may be considerable distances between suppliers, so the lpg is a huge disadvantage here.

So the debate I'm having is do I fork out for the tank inspection and potential replacement, or simply have the system (tank) removed and replaced.

Current ranges

LPG

LPG: 90L of LPG, 30L/100 city, 23L/100 highway (~370km mixed)
Petrol: 18L/100 highway (~380km)
Range: 750

Remove LPG, OEM Tank

OEM Tank: 95L - ~500km
Sub Tank: 70L - ~380km
Range: 165L - ~910km

Remove LPG - Long Range Tank (Note: Potential GVM issues):

Long Range Tank: 145L - ~800km
Sub Tank: 70L - ~380km
Range: 215L - ~1190km

The long range option is probably bordering on ridiculous and really only warranted for a Simpson trip or similar, which I would like to do but won't have the time for several years. The OEM tank option would only add ~160km to the current setup or the equivalent of 1.5 jerry cans which can be carried on the camper (4 jerry holders).

Hence the debate as I don't see a clear winner in the above options... unless I'm missing something.

Stropp
13th November 2014, 03:11 PM
hi mate i would stick with what you have if its working ok and just carry a couple of jerries for big trips.

Vinnie
14th November 2014, 11:41 AM
Hi, I would keep the petrol ;)

Agronaught
14th November 2014, 11:51 AM
Ah but that's the point, it's currently LPG...

lhurley
14th November 2014, 04:43 PM
I have been having the same thoughts, although my lpg figures are slightly better as i have injected gas, regardless, its still a tough decision. If it were me, i would leave the gas system as is, and then later if you need more range for a big trip, go back to straight petrol or if the tank needs to be replaced, change then.

If its not getting driven for huge distances make the most of cheap gas.

Agronaught
14th November 2014, 05:00 PM
I've pretty much convinced myself of the same. I'll see what happens with the inspection next year and make the call.

Avo
15th November 2014, 01:39 AM
Hi, I would keep the petrol ;)

can you ell me why I should....I'm more into diesel but would like to know why/

cheers

Agronaught
19th November 2014, 05:06 PM
For this weekend:

* diff, box and transfer case breather lines.
* new struts.

Possibly for christmas/new years:

* Lokka for the front...
* slim line battery + diy box between the drawer and side of the car.

Agronaught
3rd March 2015, 08:31 AM
Some recent minor mods...

+ 200 Watt solar panel mounted on the Rhino bars.
+ CTEK D250S Dual charger in the back.
+ 55A/H Optima Battery in the back.
+ West Mountain Radio Rig-Runner for power distribution in the back.
+ 105A/H deep cycle in an arc-power box that can be installed in-system as-needed.

The above works well, however some changes are in order...

+ Add relays to switch radio's between 'main' power and the battery in the rear.
+ Add relays to enable power on/off of rear accessories. (fridge, inverter, radio's).
+ Add a bypass relay for the charger to allow for quick charging from the alternator if the battery is really low. (higher current).
+ Add switches to the front of the car for the above.

The battery/solar setup should be adequate for most uses, although a little slim on power mid winter when I'm not so likely to need it anyway.

Based on Sydney Summer calculations:

AH/Day from PV system: 100AH
Battery AH: 55AH (both batteries) + 100AH when needed for higher loads.
Power demand: 92 Watts (fridge and lighting + radios)

Power generation should (usually) exceed battery capacity with some allowance of 2 days without sunlight. The optima can rapidly recharge from the alternator if necessary.

A little slim on the storage but sufficient for most of my trips. A longer trip mid-winter would be a challenge, although I don't see myself taking an extended trip mid winter...

J.

threedogs
3rd March 2015, 09:05 AM
other than fridge and lighting what other power is needed ??

Agronaught
3rd March 2015, 09:27 AM
I'm a ham radio nut, camping around twilight with low ambient noise (low qrm) provides the opportunity for low power operation (qrp).

I'll usually use a tree to run the antenna, occasionally I'll put up a 9m mast with cb on top and a dipole antenna for HF. The cb helps keep in contact with the kiddies/base camp when out walking, The HF is just for fun. Having HF contacts in to Europe and the US at 10 Watts output is a fun challenge ;)

I don't tend to go the whole setup in busy camp sites. People running TV's/Microwaves/generators/inverters/hid's tend to add too much noise to make the effort worthwhile. I'm working on a more portable option so I can hike away from the noise pollution in those instances.

If I'm tempted in noisier environments the power demand goes up to 30watts, usually digital modes which adds the need for the laptop (45Watts when charging).

J.

Agronaught
3rd March 2015, 09:35 AM

Not much to see of the solar panel... Which is a good thing. There is still space up there for the swag or a narrow roof cage to hold a couple jerry cans. The may be just enough space for the roof pod... I'll need to test that one.

J.

threedogs
3rd March 2015, 09:38 AM
With interest here lately with upper/lower sb CB ,I might crank up my old Dick Smith Hornet11
with a power mike great unit in its day

Agronaught
3rd March 2015, 09:43 AM
The 11m band has been going great guns lately (cb). I've had a lot of international contracts on the 10m ham band as well.

A plot of the solar panel setup while ive been testing it with the fridge etc. May be of interest to some people.

http://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/VK2VJB-9?range=week