PDA

View Full Version : Oil in air filter

Cuppa
9th November 2012, 06:13 PM
A mate has a normally aspirated TD42 engined Civilan bus, & is complaining that when he recently checked his air filter after travelling a few thousand kms that it had a fair amount of oil in it, on the inside of the filter
He also reckons it blows black smoke with a blue tinge to it & uses around 1 litre per 1000kms.

Can anyone suggest what he should be looking at to rectify this situation? Other than these things the bus runs well.

regards
Cuppa

Lieney
9th November 2012, 07:30 PM
Rings? Valve stem seals? PCV valve allowing oil from excessive blow-by into the air inlet & settling in filter housing during deceleration maybe.
I'd clean filter housing & inlet, disconnect crank case breather. Fit catch can type thing or run breather line to atmosphere. Plug inlet where pcv went. Test run a week or so.
Hope it helps

AB
9th November 2012, 07:37 PM
As above Cuppa my money would be on blow by too which is common with diesels and putting on the catch can would hopefully sort it out.

Sir Roofy
9th November 2012, 07:57 PM
As above mate try the catchcan you saw how it was hooked up
the other day do the same for the bus

Ben-e-boy
9th November 2012, 08:32 PM
the pcv on an NA td42 re enters the motor on the intake side of the air filter I some how dont think it would help much it would have to be blowing back out the intake.

nissannewby
9th November 2012, 11:19 PM
With that much oil usage it doesn't sound good. Motors in good condition would be lucky to use half a liter in 10k. The blue smoke could be from the oil in the intake so disconnecting it from the intake may help. But I would be getting a compression check done on the ole girl.