PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a jam

danielrusty
9th November 2012, 12:52 PM
Howdy,

I seem to have got myself in a rut and only keep digging myself deeper and deeper.

Now the front bolts that hold the front diff bracket have sheared inside. they are the bolts that attach the sway bar to the drop radius arm i think they are. So i went and bought an easy out extractor tool and also sheared this mutha inside there aswell. I have since had numerous mates around applying heat, using cobalt pilot drills to try and dislodge them but now getting to thje point where i am going to also now need to retap the hole anyway.

Can anybody suggest an alternative please. Is there a machinest/fabricator shop in Perth that i can just drive to and go SCHMICK this up for us pls cob!

I dont mind driving anywhere in perth!

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2012, 12:57 PM
The easiest fix would be to just replace the Radius arm. If you take it out then it also may be an easy fix mounted in a vice too. Not that big a job to take it off. You will get one from a wrecker for not that much coin either i'd say

If you do figure that out though bud i'd be very very interested to hear as i have a broken Tap in one of the bolts holding on the Drop box gear box support! fortunately there is another 3 bolts a side but keen to know what you use to drill through that tool steel??

wildgu6
9th November 2012, 01:01 PM
Hey buddy, can't really help you but maybe give the Ferret (Rod) a PM, he's in the know over that way. Man of many talents, he might even be able to help you himself. Good luck,
Buy one of he's deflators too, there the best in Oz

Tappn the App Beers on Tap

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2012, 01:02 PM
In a Heart Beat! ^^^^^^Do That^^^^^^

BigRAWesty
9th November 2012, 01:08 PM
If its the sway bar bracket bolts which have sheered off in the radius arm.. Then take the sway bar off completely and leave it off.. I've just done mine, yet to drive it but been told there is little difference on-road but it allows a lot more flex off-road..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

danielrusty
9th November 2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks lads,

I've actually spoken to the ferret some time ago about a previous patrol i had. He is a nice fellow and i think i may be leaning towards giving him another yell, again. Just seems like such an effort to replace the whole damn radius arm due to one sheared bolt in the hole hey. I think i need to take out the spring, and jack it on the body and take the tension of the diff to take out the radius arm.

Starting to look like this is what i may have to do hey!

Whilst ive got you, is it WA state law to have sway bars?? Im only putting it back on to get it re registered over here in perth.

rusty

danielrusty
9th November 2012, 01:10 PM
If its the sway bar bracket bolts which have sheered off in the radius arm.. Then take the sway bar off completely and leave it off.. I've just done mine, yet to drive it but been told there is little difference on-road but it allows a lot more flex off-road..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Cheers Westy,

Ive been doing this and your 100% right, it does offer a significant amount of comfort but im only putting them back on the get re registered as i bought the vehicle interstate.

taslucas
9th November 2012, 01:10 PM
Can you just throw the sway bar away and drive without one? Plenty of people driving patrols with no sway bars:-)

EDIT: just saw the last two posts. Can you stick the head of the bolt in there just for registering purposes then rip the whole bar out?

Tap, crackle, pop

BigRAWesty
9th November 2012, 01:20 PM
Cheers Westy,

Ive been doing this and your 100% right, it does offer a significant amount of comfort but im only putting them back on the get re registered as i bought the vehicle interstate.

Well then your in a pickle.. Maybe..
Had the bolt snapped and left a few threads free near the top?
You may be able to cut down a bolt to pick up the few threads and hold the bracket in for inspection..
Then once passed rip it all off again..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

danielrusty
9th November 2012, 01:37 PM
All good suggestions and ive tried them all. just tacking it on to look like its attacheed for the inspection. But is to noticable. Just need to drive it into some mint mechanic / machinest shop where they can go bang bang beaut shmick thanks for coming.

Dont know of any such shope in wa perth?

Cheers lads for all the quick comments too, much apreciated hey!

Rusty

BigRAWesty
9th November 2012, 01:47 PM
All good suggestions and ive tried them all. just tacking it on to look like its attacheed for the inspection. But is to noticable. Just need to drive it into some mint mechanic / machinest shop where they can go bang bang beaut shmick thanks for coming.

Dont know of any such shope in wa perth?

Cheers lads for all the quick comments too, much apreciated hey!

Rusty

Any good engineering work shop should be able to help you out.. You problem will be you need to remove the whole arm for them to fix it..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2012, 01:55 PM
You dont even need to jack the car up to take that off mate. Leave it sitting on the wheels. Chock them. Unbolt and remove. yes getting it back on there may be a little twisting needed but it will not be anywhere near as bad as you think. You have already spent way way more time thinking about it and stuffing around with it than it would have taken to just take it off. Your local 4x4 shop will have that off in 10 minutes.

;)

strategic Jack placement will de-tension it and will work putting it back in to ;)

Your only doing 1 side mate! dont be shy

danielrusty
9th November 2012, 02:06 PM
I like your can do attitude mudrunner. And yes it has become a headfk so ill do exactly that then. You reckon i can take the arm off and leave the suspension and springs in there??

Clunk
9th November 2012, 02:16 PM
Gday Daniel, I'm of no use to you but XLR8 may well be, he has a thread in the vendors section..... If he can't help, he'll most likely know someone who can.

And yes your sway bars will be required to pass the pits

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

BigRAWesty
9th November 2012, 02:18 PM
Yep easy job. Just use the jack under the diff output side to roll the axil to take the weight off the bolts.
Chock all 4 wheels first.. Or you can put in 4x4 and apply handbrake.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2012, 02:19 PM
I like your can do attitude mudrunner. And yes it has become a headfk so ill do exactly that then. You reckon i can take the arm off and leave the suspension and springs in there??

Yeah mate it really wont be that hard. use your jack under the pinion from the front drive shaft to help and you will have very little trouble. DONT put your FINGERS anywhere near it though mate. Be careful with the tension and once its de-tensioned then it will be basic.

nissannewby
9th November 2012, 03:49 PM
just for info sake. We use straight flute drill bits at work to remove broken taps and drill bits. These bits are super tough and just smash the busted tap up and clear the hole. Last time I used one was to get a busted roll pin out. They have D306 "3/8" Drill straigh flute on the packaging.

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2012, 03:51 PM
just for info sake. We use straight flute drill bits at work to remove broken taps and drill bits. These bits are super tough and just smash the busted tap up and clear the hole. Last time I used one was to get a busted roll pin out.

WOW! mate i have a broken 12mm tap embedded in my car and i'd be real bloody keen to get it out! Unfortunately i cant take that bit off! Have you got a pic or a link to this Drill bit??

nissannewby
9th November 2012, 04:02 PM
Yep. Here you go MR. These particular ones are made by sutton.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh493/nissannewby/IMG_1269.jpg
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh493/nissannewby/IMG_1268.jpg
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh493/nissannewby/IMG_1269.jpg

my third 256
9th November 2012, 04:06 PM
try a mobile thread repairer here is one i found
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/wa/kinross/peter-whitefoot-thread-repairs-12724949-listing.html

NissanGQ4.2
9th November 2012, 04:12 PM
WOW! mate i have a broken 12mm tap embedded in my car and i'd be real bloody keen to get it out! Unfortunately i cant take that bit off! Have you got a pic or a link to this Drill bit??

Darren, let me know if you are going 2 get a set, and let me know what brand, Tridon and Irwin Tools, Stanley, Sutton to name a few I might be able to get them for a better price than you, unless of course you know someone in that field

http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=6&S=25&G=60524&P=68848

Cheers

Toddie

NissanGQ4.2
9th November 2012, 04:17 PM
Yep. Here you go MR. These particular ones are made by sutton.

Are they the same as the one in my link? They look different

nissannewby
9th November 2012, 04:42 PM
The ones in your link are different. The ones in the pics have a round shaft which you use in a drill. The straight flute extractors you have posted are good and I find them to work better than the other style

NissanGQ4.2
9th November 2012, 04:45 PM
The ones in your link are different. The ones in the pics have a round shaft which you use in a drill. The straight flute extractors you have posted are good and I find them to work better than the other style

Thanks mate, as they are one of the ones I could possible get at a better price.

nissannewby
9th November 2012, 07:13 PM
I can ppost part numbers if necessary.

danielrusty
10th November 2012, 12:27 AM
Wow, have obviously been away for quite some time and come back to an avalanche of suggestions, legends!!
Ok i may just call this mobile thread dude. This flute taps will most likely work but i think i have already mangled up my thread and so i will now need new bolts to fit my brackets. All for a 1 hour hour W.A. pit inspection i think it may be cheapest to get a pro in and maybe he'd be able to get me the next size up bolts too.

Great thread and glad everyone could contribute and take something from it.
Has really helped me a lot.

Nice one cobs.

Rusty

bazz61
10th November 2012, 06:41 PM
try and put a slot in the end of the bolt use a small diameter drill, like a screwdriver slot, apply heat , then smack it with an impact driver.... worth a try ...good luck Barry , Gladstone QLD