PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Maverick

DanGQ
7th November 2012, 08:30 PM
Hello everyone,

I have my 1991 Maverick and I really like the car. Engine got all ready 410 000km, no rust on body at all. I would like to get turbo in it to get extra power from it, not sure if is it good idea with the km on the engine or if I need to rebuil the whole motor?

Enybody any ideas what's the best to do?

Thanks a lot

Bigrig
7th November 2012, 08:41 PM
Sorry mate, what motor?

happygu
7th November 2012, 09:22 PM
If it is the 4.2 diesel, then you have one of the really strong motors - they handle a Turbo very well.

Only you can decide if your motor is up to it really......
Does it use oil?...... The oil will go black not long after you change it - that is normal, but does the level go up or down.... this can indicate worn rings or bores
Does it blow blue or white smoke?..... Black Smoke is generally OK, as this is unburnt fuel, but blue or white smoke can indicate wear or impending problems
Does it have low compression?..... Get your motor checked for compression, and there shouldn't be a lot of variance between the cylinders.
Have you kept up the 5K servicing regularly, including oils, filters?
Does it leak oil everywhere, or it the outside of the engine dry?
Does it have reasonable power for its age, or does it need new injectors / pump servicing?

Lots of questions to ask and only you can answer them......
A well maintained 4.2 will last 600,000 plus, which will be another 7 years worth of life......I think that you could throw a Turbo on if that is the case.

Mic

DanGQ
25th November 2012, 08:34 PM
Sorry mate, what motor?

sorry for late respond TD42

DanGQ
25th November 2012, 08:39 PM
HI Mic,

thank you for your advice, yes it is the 4.2l diesel, doesn't use any oil, hardly any smoke comes out only when I take off bit of black smoke, engine is pretty dry, I am servicing very regulary including filters, power is good, looks like I will try my luck

Diesel-Mate
25th November 2012, 08:43 PM
Go for a turbo setup you will love it!