PDA

View Full Version : td42 rebuild

matt2611
6th November 2012, 12:57 AM
sorry guys to bring this up again but i want to do this once and i want it right, iv stripped my na td42 down for a full rebuild (blown headgasket) i have bought a rebuild kit non genuine pistons and liners but a genuine niss head gasket my engine is a 1996 black top na td 42 that i am going to turbo everything is huge and looks bullet proof it has 30mm gudgeons, oil squirters, huge rods now my question is why is this engine considerd weaker? i want to run at least 19/20 psi with tune and front mount will it survive should i ceramic coat the piston crowns? (freakin expencive) or is this going over the top any help would be great its just that this quick rebuild is turning into a small fortune but i dont want it to fail as it will be getting abit of a hammering every now and then.

MudRunnerTD
6th November 2012, 01:04 AM
Newby is your man mate or Tony has been poking around lately too, either of these guys will point you straight.

Good luck with the rebuild show us your dynos when your done mate.

Pic through the rebuild would be sweet too bud

Cheers

nissannewby
6th November 2012, 10:43 AM
Its not so much the engine is weaker. The pistons in the later NA black tops are apparently lighter to help with the response in the NA and cant take as much heat as the turbo pistons. In saying that though a "safe" tune should see you with no dramas.

What you have said is a little bit of a contradiction. If you want to do it properly then it is gonna cost money but in the long run this could save you money. I believe if you have it open and are looking at the world of modified TD42's then there will be no "overdoing" it. It will be better to have a setup thats easily running within its limits than one that is on the edge of its limits. Ceramic coating is recommended and I would be getting this done. Also some headwork will benefit you very well. Being that you have squirters already is good, but piston wse I would have opted for the turbo ones which may have also warranted a rod change depending on gudgeon pin diameter, this is why you should ceramic coat your pistons.

As for what you want to run, you will quickly find the limits of the factory GQ injector pump. With an intercooler it will only be able to supply enough fuel to run 14-16 psi. To get the full benefits of running 20 psi a pump upgrade will be on the cards. Unfortunately reliable power from a diesel isnt cheap.

Where abouts are you located as we may be able to point you in the right direction to get stuff done. Ben-e-boy has just finished a setup without a rebuild and you would be surprised at what that cost. Keep us posted mate and any other questions just ask :)

matt2611
7th November 2012, 02:32 AM
thanks for the help boys. Newby im in perth mate, thanks for the info im going to get the tops coated will make me feel better once its all backtogether and as u said if the fuel situation is maxin out with the boost at 14/15pounds then that will have to for now drove a mates with 12psi no frontmount and was not to bad iv got the gtr to throw money at an go fast need the 4be to be realiable but still fun haha

nissannewby
7th November 2012, 11:34 AM
Being in Perth mate United Fuel injection is the company you want to be talking to. They are guru's when it comes to TD42's and modification.